IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > James McElreath and Dan Weldon
10/16/12, 2:40 PM   #1
James McElreath and Dan Weldon
openwheelfan1

35 years ago we lost one of the most promising young drivers the sport had seen to that point, James McElreath. James lost his life in a grinding crash and flip out of the racetrack at Winchester Speedway. RIP James.

And I know there is another thread for Dan Weldon, but may he rest in peace as well. Two young men gone way too soon.

1 member likes this post: dirtball
10/16/12, 3:12 PM   #2
Re: James McElreath and Dan Weldon
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I was at Winchester that day; I'll never forget that tragic event. James' sister, who was married to Tony Bettenhausen, was killed in a plane crash along with her husband, on Feb. 14, 2000. Jim McElreath has endured more than his fair share of tragedies.

10/16/12, 5:35 PM   #3
smith19

was also there. couldn't believe they pushed the car back in with a wrecker...

10/16/12, 6:01 PM   #4
rclaridge

i was also there that day,it's the only time I've witnessed a fatal accident and I hope I never see another one.(I hope there is never another one to see)

10/16/12, 8:55 PM   #5
openwheelfan1

We were sitting in the stands that day with Shirley and James' girlfriend. We usually went to the pits and worked, but my wife and I had gotten married the day before (October 15). We originally were not going to Winchester, but decided at the last minute to go to Winchester but not go in to the pits. I'll remember Shirley's scream as James went over the wall until my dying day.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > James McElreath and Dan Weldon