IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Rule changes encouraged; not mandatory for WAR Sprints 2019.
11/11/18, 5:04 PM   #11
Re: Rule changes encouraged; not mandatory for WAR Sprints 2
Baylands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider20 View Post
So are we going to see USAC give teams an adequate amount of time (in terms of a deadline like WAR) to make the necessary safety changes? More often than not the back half/quarter of the field are local racers on a lot of nights.
Adequate time? Does everyone realize all of these changes cost less than to powder coat the chassis over the winter? Depending on self sufficiency, it's about the same price as one new right rear tire. Nobody should be racing a Sprint Car with USAC if they can't afford a one time safety expense of several hundred dollars. We run Hooker ratchet seat belts to keep the driver more secure that cost $500 and are changed every two years. Should we be allowed to run them for another year or indefinitely because racing is too expensive?

I propose those who can't afford the modifications to sit out one race this year and therefore save enough money to make all the changes. I read opinions on how bad ass, and real men that Sprint Car racers are, then everybody acts like they're destitute, living in a van down by the river when it comes to spending the money to race. Sprint Car racing is for the successful racers from lower levels to move up and put on the best show on dirt, not for those that have to borrow money for gas in the tow rig to get to the races to put a worn out car on the track that causes yellows when it breaks. If you can't afford two pieces of Chromoly tubing welded to your roll cage, you shouldn't be on the track, because you also haven't rebuilt your steering gear, replaced worn rod ends, thrown out old and crashed front spindles, wheel centers, etc... Is USAC Sprint Car racing for the best in the business, or the playgound of the underprivileged?
Last edited by Baylands; 11/11/18 at 5:23 PM.

5 members like this post: cornerthree, fish, Jonr, mc/rider, sms26
11/11/18, 7:33 PM   #12
cshuman

There is more to our decision then JUST cost.
Last edited by cshuman; 11/11/18 at 7:35 PM.

3 members like this post: dwhitney1169, Josh Spencer, spicoli
11/11/18, 9:26 PM   #13
Baylands

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshuman View Post
There is more to our decision then JUST cost.
10-4. Easy to make statements, but we all need to walk in others' shoes to understand. I include myself in that statement. The WAR series has a great following. If someone from your series starts a fund account for fans and sponsors to contribute, to help all registered car owners from last year with modification expenses, I'm in with the first $20.

11/12/18, 12:01 AM   #14
cshuman

Appreciate that, might be a pretty cool idea.

1 member likes this post: ISF
11/12/18, 6:22 AM   #15
Can26

I'm waiting to add stuff to my chassis. I want to know if these changes are "The" answer, not just "a" answer. Each time something is changed, everything is changed.

3 members like this post: red70racer, sprintracer82, the1jet17
11/12/18, 1:25 PM   #16
sp6967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can26 View Post
I'm waiting to add stuff to my chassis. I want to know if these changes are "The" answer, not just "a" answer. Each time something is changed, everything is changed.
no one has "The" answer, but everyone thinks they do.
Last edited by sp6967; 11/12/18 at 1:29 PM.

11/12/18, 2:16 PM   #17
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can26 View Post
Take this with a grain of salt, but Donny Schatz was on Winged Nation and said that late in the year they put the 2019 stuff on the car so they could get ahead on it. Donny's word's were that after running it the first time to his crew chief, "Why haven't we been doing this the whole time?"
Said it actually balanced the car.

Now like I said, because that's Donny and because it was a wing car, grain of salt.

11/12/18, 4:35 PM   #18
ThrowbackRacingTeam

I don't like this sprint car council as it is totally dominated by wing people. They seem to suddenly have an aweful lot of power and could use that in ways that could negatively impact non-wing racing. Maybe I'm wrong but just a thought.

1 member likes this post: sp6967
11/12/18, 6:41 PM   #19
cshuman

There was 3 non wing groups present at the meeting.

3 members like this post: erich45, Hustlin-Hoosier, oppweld
11/13/18, 3:14 AM   #20
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

I applaud Casey for this decision. I have 2 pretty much brand new sprint cars in the garage, without the new mods. I will probably make the changes before the season, but it will cost me, I'm guessing, 200-300 for the changes plus $500 in powder coat. So for 2 cars I am looking at about 1500 to update. I will survive, it will probably cost me 1 race night, as my budget is finite. But for the guy trying to get into the sport, it my cost him half his season. When I was new, every little new rule change made me miss races. I buy a car, get it together and I am all set to go race. Wing rule change. I now need to buy a new wing $500. A month later I finally have a new wing, oh wait bad weather. Have to work weekends for 2 months. Finally get to race. Wrong gears. Spend more money. work Weekends for 3 more weeks. Iffy weather, tow 300 miles, race cancelled, damn $250 diesel bill for nothing. It's easy to spend other peoples money, but don't ***** about car counts when you do. tire rule changes have probably cost me 10k over the cost of my career. Who has 10 k to throw away? Not me. Thank you Casey, for thinking of the guys like me.

8 members like this post: bighd0522, Can26, Emd645e6, mc/rider, Speedmax3, spicoli, sprinter31, TQ29m
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Rule changes encouraged; not mandatory for WAR Sprints 2019.