IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Audie Swartz
8/19/09, 6:20 PM   #1
Audie Swartz
old time Hoosier

Any old timers out there remember Audie Swartz SR? In the early 1950's he lived in Muncie and had a service station on the Y intersection of E Main and E Jackson. In that station he built either his first or one of his first modified stock car coupes. It was a black '37 Ford coupe and he ran at Armscamp on Fridays, Sun Valley on Sundays and some times at Mt. Lawn on Sundays. He later built a supermodified and finished second in the very first Knoxville Nationals in 1961.

8/19/09, 7:21 PM   #2
Re: Audie Swartz
Circletrack40

I remember Audie well. He drove for my Dad (Pop Weir) a few times in the early 50's. Dave.

8/19/09, 8:57 PM   #3
SUPERDUKE
Banned

I remember racing with him in usac sprints! At salem he was in front me in 1965 for time trials when he got out of ray smiths car and came back too me and said he did not feel good about looking up and seeing no roof and quit right there!!!!!!!!!!! Been a good driver in the modifieds!

8/19/09, 9:40 PM   #4
smith19

i know in the 60's he raced at the atomic (kc) speedway in chillicothe oh. he was very good.

8/19/09, 10:51 PM   #5
Dr.UT

I remember him driving Gene Besecker's car. I believe it was the 0 car. He won alot of races!!!!! Truth be known, Don Hewitt always told the story that Audie should of/could of won the 1st Knoxville Nationals.

8/20/09, 8:49 AM   #6
SPRINTCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.UT View Post
I remember him driving Gene Besecker's car. I believe it was the 0 car. He won alot of races!!!!! Truth be known, Don Hewitt always told the story that Audie should of/could of won the 1st Knoxville Nationals.
Who did win the first Knoxville race? He was a Lawrenceburg regular

8/20/09, 9:14 AM   #7
kbesecker

Attachment 1396

8/20/09, 10:43 AM   #8
Speedwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRINTCAR View Post
Who did win the first Knoxville race? He was a Lawrenceburg regular
I think it was Roy Robbins from Louisville.

8/20/09, 12:21 PM   #9
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedwrench View Post
i think it was roy robbins from louisville.
it was but what kind of engine did he run?

8/20/09, 2:39 PM   #10
coxie bowman

I had just gotten out of the service and was living in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I used to go to the Berlin Raceway in Marne, Michigan just outside of G.R. I never missed a Saturday night of dirt track supermodified racing at Berlin. I can't remember all the dirvers names but here are a few. Gordie Vanderlaan, Dick Carter, Jimmy Nelson, Bobby Knight. One Saturday evening a car came in with a wing on it, no side boards, just a silver car and a silver wing. He proceeded to pretty much ride up on top and kick everyones butts. His name was AUDIE SWARTZ. Needless to say, the next week everybody that ran Berlin on a regular basis had a wing. I never saw him after that as my life got more complicated and racing took a back seed for awhile and I didn't get to attend as frequently as I wanted to. He sure gave them all a driving lesson that night.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Audie Swartz