IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 74th Turkey night Grand Prix discussion thread
11/28/14, 2:03 AM   #81
Re: 74th Turkey night Grand Prix discussion thread
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Clauson View Post
KKM cars will be tough Last night at practice it sounded like they were the cars to beat.

I think a KKM car will be quick time unless they all don't draw absolutely horrible.

Larson - stated it was a work out and his head was pinned so stamina could be his only obstacle.

Bell - Really needs to put it all on he line to win the Championship.

Abreu - Needs a good qualifying effort and a solid run. I am sure Keith has had the Championship talk with him that he has had with every driver he has had in this position. But Rico is a gasser at heart and that is why we love him.

Thorson - Although he is overlooked on the stacked super team he has steadily improved and is starting to race like a veteran. Could be his break out win.

BC - BC and Rusty have been the only team to run consistently with KKM through out the year winning their share and often breaking up a KKM Sweep. After practice last night BC said they had a Solid race car doesn't think they will contend for quick time but once the track slicked off a bit felt they could run with the KKM cars. Adding BC and Rusty to the mix gives a Kunz car 5 pretty good shots at the circle.

Hines - The veteran is AWLAYS in the hunt at the end of these races He knows how to pace himself and when the track gets technical he is as good as it gets.

Daum - While Daum has show blazing speed and has really become one of the top midget racers int he country his achilles heal will be running all 98 laps. When he running though watch out as there are few who get more out of the bottom then him.

Hagen - Big win at Western World gives this team momentum coming into T-Night. When they are on.. They are on but when they are off ... they aren't close enough to make up the difference.

Gardner - Damion came within a LR wheel failure of putting the East Chevy #4 in the circle and although rarely runs one is very proficient when he does. Chili Bowl Champion is no joke and was within a few laps of adding a Turkey Night Win to his resume.

Outsiders -

Brad Sweet - Will be in the hunt in the Kahne 67 but will have the obstacle of infrequent starts but the benefit of extremely fresh equipment and for a 98 lap race at Perris that is a huge advantage. Sweet is a drivers driver and will be fast.

Boat - Chad hasn't made a midget start in close to a year but that doesn't seem to bother him when he shows up to Chili Bowl. Said he felt really good last night in practice and will be a contender if he is around at the end of the 98 laps.

Western Influence -

Gardner - Ronnie, this time - If the trophy is given out to heart then this guy wins. This is his Indy 500 / Knoxville Nationals / Indiana Sprint week all rolled into one. Showed last week that he can hang with the National guys. But hanging for a heat race or even 20-25 laps is a far cry from hanging with them for 98. Would be a very popular win if he pulls it off.

Trey Marcham - A Oklahoman by birth Trey has spent a lot of time out west the past couple of years winning USAC Western Rookie of the year and challenging for the Championship in 2014 and is behind the wheel of a JFM midget (2013 Winner with Darland) and could be the party crasher if he is around at the end of 98.

I think at the end of the day your winner comes from this group. Not a earth shattering prediction by any means.

To win this race take patience, understanding the changing track, understanding a changing car, when to push when to ride and when to let it all hang out. It takes a car that is fresh and the bugs have been worked out of it. And it take set up guy that understands the changes the car will go through starting the race with a full heavy fuel load and what it will want the last 10 laps when it is about out of fuel and tires.

Normally takes a veteran crew with a veteran driver and a well prepared car and a little luck to win this race.

Winner comes out of these 5 -

Bell
BC
Hines
Sweet
Larson

Rico will need to remember the war he has been waging all year and it all comes down to this battle.
Thank you for yet another intelligent, reasoned post Tim. You know how much I appreciate it when you take the time to do this, as I am sure do many others.

11/28/14, 7:00 AM   #82
addictedtodirt

A 2 hr wait between qualifying and feature with only a 12 lap last chance race will not bring new fans to the sport. Or keep folks coming back.

11/28/14, 9:11 AM   #83
dkdorkboy

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 52

Got to sell beer and hot dogs.

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
11/28/14, 11:10 AM   #84
rachasin

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtodirt View Post
A 2 hr wait between qualifying and feature with only a 12 lap last chance race will not bring new fans to the sport. Or keep folks coming back.
They advertised a last chance race and 2 qualifing races.
Buy the ticket then USAC changes the format 11 cars for last chance taking 10 and NO qualifers ***!!!!

USAC YOU KNOW HOW TO MAKE NEW FANS --- NOT--- 11:

3 members like this post: AustinSprinter, i love dirt track racing, ossuks
11/28/14, 12:01 PM   #85
ThePurple73

Bell was hooked up and put his name in the record book. Quite a drive by Larson.

I am glad the promoters held the event. It is nice to see tradition carried on.

98 appropriate laps, gives a driver time to race, time for things to happen.

Thanks for all involved in making it happen. Looking forward to many more.

1 member likes this post: mc/rider
11/28/14, 12:05 PM   #86
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachasin View Post
They advertised a last chance race and 2 qualifing races.
Buy the ticket then USAC changes the format 11 cars for last chance taking 10 and NO qualifers ***!!!!

USAC YOU KNOW HOW TO MAKE NEW FANS --- NOT--- 11:
Since when does USAC control the number of cars that show up?? They got 34, the top 20 in quals make the feature. 1 drops out so you end up with 13 after quals that arent in. SO with 13 cars and 10 starting positions left open you want 2 qualifiers and a last chance race?????? C'mon Man!!!

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus
Last edited by racefan20; 11/28/14 at 12:07 PM.

1 member likes this post: Koonzee
11/28/14, 2:07 PM   #87
JstAbvVMC

Two hour wait is unacceptable. The format posted was when you had 60 plus cars at T-Night. With the lower car count, what 30 plus, there were not enough cars for qualifying races. Unless you wanted five car races I guess.

11/28/14, 2:48 PM   #88
rachasin

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 42

They said top 14 to main then 2 qualifing races with 8 to the main
14 from 35 =21, 2 10 car races with better cars would have been better than the bs for 2, hrs

I don't ***** much but the really sucked for the fans.

JMO and I'm sticking to it!

Bob

11/28/14, 2:53 PM   #89
racefan20

EVERY time I have watched this race online there has been an insanely long wait before the feature. Kids dance contest, presentations then the Aggie kids talking on the mic for another 1/2 hr. Its like this every year. I've come to expect it and take about an hour nap to ease my bloated belly You could have gone out and got your Christmas shopping done and been back in time for the feature.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
11/28/14, 3:04 PM   #90
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachasin View Post
They said top 14 to main then 2 qualifing races with 8 to the main
14 from 35 =21, 2 10 car races with better cars would have been better than the bs for 2, hrs

I don't ***** much but the really sucked for the fans.

JMO and I'm sticking to it!

Bob
Now you are getting closer to the posted schedule for the race. There wasnt anything in there about a last chance race. http://usacracing.com/members/events...c7e1c8455694a9 I agree that the wait was way too long but you did get a 98 lap feature so I think the total amount of racing was at the very least equal to a regular show. Opinions are free, hope they make you feel better.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 74th Turkey night Grand Prix discussion thread