IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bigelow vs. Darland
8/25/14, 9:38 PM   #11
Re: Bigelow vs. Darland
Blackduce

Interesting thought. How many more different great drivers in 2 decades did Dave have to face and beat versus the one decade Tom had to. The best part is I am old enough to remember the excitement these two great drivers provided for millions of people who was as lucky as I. And I am so thankful for this. There is no other sport to provide the memories we all have.

Lynn

8/25/14, 9:55 PM   #12
treecitytornado

Mr. Big got his 52nd Win in 1981, but may have been the All-Time leader before that date!

1 member likes this post: racegal
8/25/14, 9:59 PM   #13
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
Mr. Big got his 52nd Win in 1981, but may have been the All-Time leader before that date!
True!!

8/25/14, 10:05 PM   #14
retired14

No matter how you compare them or stack them up, or try to figure out who you would want to put in your car-------How would you like to have had a 2 car team, and have both of them driving for you? Be worth watching, I'd say.

3 members like this post: Blackduce, jim goerge, RedRacer07
8/25/14, 10:17 PM   #15
ossuks

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired14 View Post
No matter how you compare them or stack them up, or try to figure out who you would want to put in your car-------How would you like to have had a 2 car team, and have both of them driving for you? Be worth watching, I'd say.
Very true... and both of these men were "most popular" of their era ( most likely due to the nature of their personality and time they spent with the fans).

The only comparison I could make is Tom spent most of his career in top equipment ( knepper 55 and armstrond 43) and Dave seemed to never be as appreciated as several owners (huge mistake) seemed to think they could find better ( Dave spent a few years in the Artic Cat car that others called the "penalty box").

5 members like this post: Blackduce, Charles Nungester, fish, jim goerge, midget39
8/25/14, 10:22 PM   #16
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossuks View Post
Very true... and both of these men were "most popular" of their era ( most likely due to the nature of their personality and time they spent with the fans).

The only comparison I could make is Tom spent most of his career in top equipment ( knepper 55 and armstrond 43) and Dave seemed to never be as appreciated as several owners (huge mistake) seemed to think they could find better ( Dave spent a few years in the Artic Cat car that others called the "penalty box").
And most likely would have won the championship in it if not for the Eldora accident.
(I never heard it called that though)
Last edited by racegal; 8/25/14 at 10:31 PM.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, midget39, ronmil
8/26/14, 12:10 AM   #17
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Some interesting comments! Glad that I have had the pleasure of watching both Tom and Dave during their illustrious careers.

4 members like this post: Blackduce, fish, jim goerge, luckybuc97
8/26/14, 7:52 AM   #18
cowboyhar69

We won with Dave driving the #69 at Cedar Rapids ....and it was a J&J pavement car. The old memory is fading and I can't remember if it was in 1998 or in 99 when Dave won the championship....I do remember stopping at the I-70 rest stop west of Plainfield and Dave's dad Bob dropping him off and he rode to Cedar Rapids with us in the HAR rig.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy
Last edited by cowboyhar69; 8/26/14 at 7:56 AM. Reason: addition

8/26/14, 9:25 AM   #19
sw1911

Same point as Charles, would be interesting to see % of starts won.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8/26/14, 9:26 AM   #20
smith19

just wondering how many of the wins in the armstrong car was won with the nitro...tom was a great driver wish that had never happened!!!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bigelow vs. Darland