IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > king of the tqs meeting
11/25/14, 9:06 PM   #71
#1Brad Kuhn Fan

Seems as if this has turned into a bit**ing match rather then a conversation to help tq racing. Typical 21st century. While everyone complains. I'll be working working 60 hour weeks so I can live the dream. Even if everyone is running corvette engines. I'll be out their with my 836 Honda with a big old smile. What happened to racing being a hobby?

11/25/14, 10:17 PM   #72
TQ29m

Depends on what you want to decorate your cake with, and how much you can do yourself, but I'd think 2k would put one in, and that includes the cost of the motor, then you could shave some hours off your work week, just a thought, not a sales pitch! Bob

11/25/14, 10:38 PM   #73
#1Brad Kuhn Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Depends on what you want to decorate your cake with, and how much you can do yourself, but I'd think 2k would put one in, and that includes the cost of the motor, then you could shave some hours off your work week, just a thought, not a sales pitch! Bob
Its easy to race with 2k when you only race 2 races a year Bob.

2 members like this post: fish, trannyman
11/25/14, 11:25 PM   #74
TQ29m

If you only knew, you can run every race you want for at least 5 more years, and only get close to the number my wheels have turned on a race track, and that's just since I started running a TQ, I knew you wouldn't listen, there is nothing in it for me, but I thought I'd just give it a shot, I spent my fortune on racing, Social Security doesn't pay that well, but at least I'm getting to draw mine, you probably won't! Bob

11/26/14, 1:33 AM   #75
Re: king of the tqs meeting
DAD

Devin

Racing is still considered a hobby loved by many people. Have fun racing no matter how much you race a year or a lifetime. My dad told me a long time ago when racing stops being fun find something else to do. Keep that smile on your face and live and enjoy your dream. I have had a ball with mine.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/26/14 at 1:37 AM.

2 members like this post: bn kleen, mc/rider
11/27/14, 1:06 PM   #76
trannyman

Quote:
Come on Bob,
You really don't believe that someone can switch over a Honda set-up.or start from scratch,to a newer type engine that'll be competitive for 2k,do you?The engine and getting it "hooked up" to the car will be that,easy.Not counting the water cool set up and the dyno time to fine tune that electronic fuel injection.Oh yeah,don't forget the cost of getting that custom header.With all due respect to you,i believe that people that are involved and plan to continue to support these organizations should have the most say in where things should head.Its like all those "I hate to see UMRA be done" and"they can't sell UMRA to someone" people I hear complaining.If you're not there to continue to support and participate,then don't complain about how things end up.Now,back to the real problem at hand.....FANS!!

11/27/14, 1:19 PM   #77
trannyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Bob

Agreed. Competition is a very good thing. It gets rid of the weak and builds up the strong. When organizations get into themselves and start making rules or decisions with the favored golden hair racers in mind, other racers seem to take offense and start looking for other ways to devote their efforts. I have seen this happen too many times in the past.

I understand your efforts to thwart the development of the newer engines. The Honda 750 had a very long run from 1969 to about 2003. There are a zillion of them out there many waiting to be found and raced.

The Mini Sprint people are starting to go down this same way of thinking, they now wanting to ban any motor that is less than two years old from racing, and some motors would be banned all together because "so and so" thinks they would be too fast and pose unfair competition. None of our motor have ever had the longevity of the 750 Honda and no other motor will probably ever live up to its record.

I always thought that we raced to improve the breed. To make things work better, faster, and maybe even last longer. I can not understand why people are so afraid of change if it is changing for the better. If an Engine, Race organization, chassis design, or even tire or wheel is not working up to a very high standards we need to replace it with something that does. Just to go along to be going along is against my nature and I apologize for venting on you TQ racers.

You have a very talented guy in charge right now and I am confident he will do what is needed to keep you guys on top and going strong.

I just tried to throw out a few what if's to get you guys thinking and get the old juices flowing.

I think they are almost boiling.

Honest Dad himself
Well dad...Maybe you should spend more time with your own kind instead of venting on "you tqers".Maybe you could resolve the issue that mini sprints don't pay squat to win.Apparently there are some flaws in all organizations and we don't need outsiders trying to fix ours.Let the participants/supporters of their organization/class work on it.If you are a regular with the minis,kudos for being a participant.If minis are so great,why are you concerned with what others are doing?

2 members like this post: DAD, TQ29m
11/27/14, 2:37 PM   #78
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by trannyman View Post
Come on Bob,
You really don't believe that someone can switch over a Honda set-up.or start from scratch,to a newer type engine that'll be competitive for 2k,do you?The engine and getting it "hooked up" to the car will be that,easy.Not counting the water cool set up and the dyno time to fine tune that electronic fuel injection.Oh yeah,don't forget the cost of getting that custom header.With all due respect to you,i believe that people that are involved and plan to continue to support these organizations should have the most say in where things should head.Its like all those "I hate to see UMRA be done" and"they can't sell UMRA to someone" people I hear complaining.If you're not there to continue to support and participate,then don't complain about how things end up.Now,back to the real problem at hand.....FANS!!
My figure of 2k, was as written, depending on how much someone is able to do themselves, a running engine can usually be had for around 500.00, depends, my first rodeo with the Yamaha 600R, I used the original headers, and modified them, I was quoting using carbs, the bike radiator, gutting the case of gears, and using a $125.00 adapter, that will make the hookup to the motorplate, from there on back, you can use what you have, it will interchange from there back, the water pump and oil pump are gear driven off the crank, and can be left in their stock locations, that would make it even cheaper, so far all you've bought was an engine, and an adapter, so far all the used engines I've bought were low miles, didn't need brgs or rings, valves all good, so it does make an easy change, for a guy with basic handtools, a shop manual for the engine, and some knowledge of basic mechanics, the stock carbs are pretty easy to convert, the oil pan can be left on, might have to raise the engine in the chassis, but that can be handled, so it really isn't that complicated, in fact, you could even use your Honda injection, it's almost a bolt on, and the pump can be driven off the cam. What's the hold up, get started? Bob

11/27/14, 11:34 PM   #79
trannyman

Quote:
My figure of 2k, was as written, depending on how much someone is able to do themselves, a running engine can usually be had for around 500.00, depends, my first rodeo with the Yamaha 600R, I used the original headers, and modified them, I was quoting using carbs, the bike radiator, gutting the case of gears, and using a $125.00 adapter, that will make the hookup to the motorplate, from there on back, you can use what you have, it will interchange from there back, the water pump and oil pump are gear driven off the crank, and can be left in their stock locations, that would make it even cheaper, so far all you've bought was an engine, and an adapter, so far all the used engines I've bought were low miles, didn't need brgs or rings, valves all good, so it does make an easy change, for a guy with basic handtools, a shop manual for the engine, and some knowledge of basic mechanics, the stock carbs are pretty easy to convert, the oil pan can be left on, might have to raise the engine in the chassis, but that can be handled, so it really isn't that complicated, in fact, you could even use your Honda injection, it's almost a bolt on, and the pump can be driven off the cam. What's the hold up, get started? Bob
Yep,most probably could figure out how to do what you've mentioned.But that's not what some are looking for,They want "plug and play".At the UMRA/Eaglin meeting,one person spoke up and said his reasoning for not wanting to use a Honda powered tq was because it took having a machine shop and a lot of time.Which he didn't have neither.For one,as you know,it doesn't take a machine shop. It does take a lot of time regardless what kind of racing one does.So, guessing they may be choosing the wrong hobby.

1 member likes this post: DAD
11/28/14, 12:26 AM   #80
Ken Bonnema

Back in the late 90's Alex Harris was kickin' our butts with a 750 Suzuki on the W/C. The whiners, (and I was NOT one of them) got U$@C to ban the motor. Baaad Move. So the next race Alex shows up with his trusty Honda. He was sitting in his trailer and I opened the door and said "you are gonna Kick our @$$ tonite, right? Yep was the reply and I told him I would the first to slap him on the back WHEN he did. He did, and I was. It was a clean sweep and he beat us worse with that ol' Honda than with the Suzuki. The reason he beat us is because he is Alex Harris and we are not. GREAT person, wonderful family and they are all class acts. Alex could drive my car anytime and there is very few people on that list. He just didn't have the financial backing or he would likely be Racing on Sunday, like our next T.Q. Champion, Josh Wise. Nicks point is well taken. It IS more than just motor........HOWEVER.......IF that Motor REALLY costs anywhere near 18k then things are going out of control. Very strong used but fresh esslingers can be purchased for less than that and there are complete turn key Midgets that would be VERY strong at Montpelier for less money also. Bob, like you I would have far more money had I not spent it on "rolling stock" but I, and I'm sure you have friends we met in this sport that go back 40 years and more. In the end, we can't put a price on that. Happy Thanksgiving to one and all.

3 members like this post: DAD, fish, jjones752
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > king of the tqs meeting