IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hamilton looks to score first Rumble in Fort Wayne victory
11/26/14, 6:41 AM   #1
Hamilton looks to score first Rumble in Fort Wayne victory
Task Force

HAMILTON LOOKS TO SCORE FIRST RUMBLE IN FORT WAYNE VICTORY
By Zach Tasker
For Danville, Indiana native Kyle Hamilton, this year’s annual Rumble in Fort Wayne represents a chance to finish his already successful 2014 season on even a higher note. The driver nicknamed as “The professor” had a busy schedule running with the Short Track Auto Racing Series (STARS) national midgets and making his Little 500 debut at Anderson Speedway. Hamilton finished an impressive fifth place in his rookie debut at the prestigious race. The Purdue university student finished 6th in STARS midget point standings all while scoring 5 feature victories to go with a staggering 8 fast time awards and the win at some of the biggest pavement midget races in the Midwest including the USAC national pavement midget “border battle” and the Alex Pruett Memorial presented by Three Wide Life at the Grundy County Speedway in Morris, Illinois. He also picked up the Bob Tattersall Hard Charger award for his fast pace throughout the season.

The season wasn’t all celebratory though, as Hamilton had to bounce back from a multitude of misfortunes early in the year including a blown motor and landing upside down on his own brother after a crash in Turn 1 at Grundy County Speedway. “There were definitely some ups and downs this year. We flipped and blew a motor but the thing that stands out for me is how strongly we were able to bounce back. We dominated some races and had a great rookie run at the Little 500 with a top 5. My confidence is high right now.”

The Rumble in Fort Wayne held every year at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum in Northern Indiana is always circled on Kyle Hamilton’s calendar, however this year the pavement midget ace has a renewed optimism for the event. “In 2012 we had a dismal year at the rumble. We blew up a brand new Volkswagen and I really just lost interest in the race. It wasn't fun anymore. But, as most people know, racing is an addictive drug and it keeps pulling you back. There are some things I want to try indoors this year and I have lots of great supporters who are willing to help me try these new things. John Godfrey and Mike Hurst of Spike Chassis have always backed me and they have supplied us with a chassis to run along with Brian and Gage Walker. We also have shock support from a company that has supported me since quarter midgets, Advanced Racing Suspensions. Fort Wayne is special because of the innovation that the event fosters. On such a small track, multiple engine and chassis combinations can be successful. Unfortunately, outdoor racing has become somewhat cookie cutter and Fort Wayne allows great racing minds to shine. “

Kyle won’t be the only member of the Hamilton family to race at the Rumble this year, as his brother Nick will make his second attempt at making the A main on one of the three nights of racing. The younger Hamilton completed his first full season of midget racing this year and picked up the 2014 STARS national midget rookie of the year to go with his 10th place points finish. “I have always been a big supporter of my brother Nick. People don't realize how little track time he has in full midgets. It has been a unique challenge passing any knowledge that I have down to him. He made huge improvements this year. We have open notebooks at our Curtis Motor Sales shop and anything that helped my car goes straight on Nick's car.”

Luckily Hamilton hasn’t had any problems juggling going to Purdue full time to pursue a teaching career and still having a full time racing schedule to go with it. “I have always been heavily involved in racing, but I felt like it was important to have a college degree from a strong university like Purdue because you never know where life will take you. Fortunately, it hasn't been too hard to juggle school and racing life. In preparation for the rumble, I make calls and decisions from Purdue during the week, then get hands on throughout the weekend. It’s tough not being at the shop full time, but I have great support from my Dad and Charles Holland.”

The driver of the #33 Curtis Motor Sales/Advanced Racing Suspensions/Walker and Sons Construction/Simpson Racing Spike/Esslinger says the $1,000 bonus for the driver with the best finishing position of all three nights of racing won’t change his driving style “I recently read about the $1,000 bonus for an overall champion. It would be great to win that, but it is far from my primary goal. I have always wanted to win a Rumble Series feature. We came a close second to Tony Stewart in 2011 but we need to seal the deal. I'll be driving strictly for wins and hopefully the overall championship comes along with it.”

The Rumble in Fort Wayne takes place as a full three day event for national midgets this year on December 26, 27 and 28. Visit www.rumbleseries.com for ticket information and up to date news.

photo credit: Phil Rider
Attached Images
hamilton grungy.jpg (72.2 KB, 38 views)
KH.jpg (242.6 KB, 22 views)

2 members like this post: EBookerFan, LocalYokel
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hamilton looks to score first Rumble in Fort Wayne victory