IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indycar Attendance?
5/2/17, 3:31 PM   #1
Indycar Attendance?
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

Ok fellow race fans. When was the last time you attended a Indycar race? I'm guilty. My last in person race was 2010 at Chicagoland. Love these cars, but why don't we go more?

Rich M

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, davidm, Stevensville Mike
5/2/17, 4:41 PM   #2
Re: Indycar Attendance?
Seadog

Mine was Kentucky in 2011. I don't go any longer due to health problems and living on retirement money. If they ever come back to Kentucky, I may try it again as it is less than an hour from my house.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
5/2/17, 5:01 PM   #3
NOSTINKINWINGS

Quit going about 10 years ago when it was painfully obvious that Marco's dirt track experience hadn't transferred to the rear engine cars..........

5 members like this post: Chase Hightower, davidm, dirtnonwingfan, jdull99, jim goerge
5/2/17, 7:00 PM   #4
david mitchell
Banned

One of the most comical posts on IOW in history.Full marks. Can anyone figure Marco out. I just do not think he got the genes.Mario, Michael, than him. Hard to figure. One race win in god knows how many years. I really think the way he got beat at the Speedway in 06 by Hornish at the line, totally messed up his mind. He has never recovered.I defy anyone to think of a bigger mystery in racing.Any opinions.

1 member likes this post: Therealether
5/2/17, 7:07 PM   #5
BrentTFunk

The same reason why people don't go to sprint races. Its easier not to.

5 members like this post: dickster, opnwhlmnd, PIT CART, tirespinner, Wingman
5/2/17, 7:07 PM   #6
ModernDayDrifter

Race Count This Year: 47
Race Count Last Year: 37

Attended my first last year at the Indy 500. Me and my brother did the Bryan Clauson Indiana Double. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Could not get off work this year for the 500, so I will be going to Qualifying weekend instead. I have Gateway on my schedule this year.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
5/2/17, 7:14 PM   #7
GYATK94

Race Count This Year: 36
Race Count Last Year: 34

I attend the 500 every year, and I went to the Indy Grand Prix last year.

Initially after reading the question, I considered answering by suggesting many of us in Indiana aren't close enough to many of the tracks on their schedule. However, I thought about it and realized Road America, Gateway, Detroit, and Mid-Ohio are all reasonably close. I know some on here aren't fond of road courses, so that knocks a few of those tracks out of their options, but I don't feel the same way, so maybe I'll have to get to one of them this season.

5/2/17, 7:16 PM   #8
ChanceDHolley

Race Count This Year: 31
Race Count Last Year: 35

I won tickets to the 99th 500 from a local radio station. They have an on air contest the Friday before the race every year called the Woody 500. It's a (very slow) go cart race that requires contestants to be 6'6" tall or 300 pounds to enter. I had gotten into a bit of a dust-up involving a Nissan Versa, a baby raccoon, and a beer bottle earlier in the week, so I walked in with a bad limp and a nasty black eye (you should have seen the other guy!), which the DJs promptly began hassling me about on air. I ended up finishing 2nd out of 48, and got two south pavilion tickets as a prize. My Grandpa was getting inducted into Atomic's HoF that Saturday, so dad and I drove straight from Chillicothe to Indy after the races ended. The seats weren't very good, but walking on that hallowed ground, watching the vintage cars, and seeing BC race on the big stage were all memories I'll always treasure.
Last edited by ChanceDHolley; 5/2/17 at 7:18 PM.

2 members like this post: jjones752, sprinter14
5/2/17, 7:46 PM   #9
ISF

I attend the Indianapolis 500 every year. We went to every Indy Car event held at Chicagoland. We were deeply saddened when Chicagoland was dropped from the Indy Car schedule. One of the best races I have ever seen involving any type race car at any track on any type track surface was at Chicagoland. We went to Milwaukee several times when it was on the schedule. We attended an Indy Car event at California several years ago. Back in 1997 we went to Gateway for the CART event there on Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend and then drove over to Indianapolis the next morning for the 500 only to have it completely rained out on Sunday and again on Monday after only 15 lasp. They ended up running it in it's entirety on Tuesday morning.

We're thinking seriously about going to Iowa for the first time early in July for the Indy Car race out there. Heard a lot of good things about the Iowa race and the facility.

On a side note, we'd love to see Sebastien Bourdais and Dale Coyne win another race or two and the championship. Or at least be in contention all season. Dale Coyne Racing is a team that deserves some success. Some very bad luck at Phoenix last week was a huge setback but hopefully they can rebound from it. It was very gratifying to see DCR leading the points over the Penske's and Ganassi's, even if only for a couple of weeks.
Last edited by ISF; 5/2/17 at 7:51 PM.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, davidm, Kansasdirtfan, Tony74
5/2/17, 8:23 PM   #10
racer-x

My only Indy car race was in 1970 at the Rex Mays classic at the Milwaukee mile.

I have been to many pole and carb days at the speedway but never really cared to go to the Indy 500 because it's not a very good track to spectate at.

When I was a kid (the 70s)I couldn't wait to get home from school to hear on the AM radio who was the fastest at Indy each day.

Last year the only reason we went to carb day was to watch BC . The people next to me had a bunch of info on Conner Daily but didn't have a clue about what BC had accomplished in his racing carrier.

I think I will pass even going to the big track this year but sure am looking forward to attending my first Little 500.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indycar Attendance?