IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smackdown observation
8/25/19, 2:41 AM   #1
Smackdown observation
Non wing lover

Looked like to me that usac got shown up at Kokomo last night boss winner wins from 14 the place usac winner from the pole usac screwed a couple drivers in the heat races too chapple and ketcham obviously usac has their favorites the guys like the ketchams don't get the proper position finish in favor of the usac regular though it was interesting that premiere series usac draws 31 cars while under card draws 42cars why is that? How come the winner of harfs hard luck award winner was not announced? Rant over lots of good racing just had questions until next year

4 members like this post: Adolph, bighd0522, Pat O'Connor Fan, tirespinner
8/25/19, 9:12 AM   #2
Tumey's 55

Nope, look again. BOSS put on a good show. However, none of the front runners with USAC made a mistake, instead they were flawless and a pass could only occur if the trailing car was faster and the driver perfect. There was no attrition at the front either causing a change among the leaders. There were 38 USAC cars Friday and 36 on Thursday. It was quite clear where the most talented drivers and fastest cars were running. Both series have their place and no need to disparage one because you like the other.

8/25/19, 12:00 PM   #3
Re: Smackdown observation
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I agree both have their place and it's very hard beating USAC's top ten anywhere.
However many shows are three heats and a feature 25 bucks.

Boss. often five heats, two bs and a feature at track normal gate.

I know several of the cars participated in Smackdown Prelims.
Don't ruin a good thing, It's fine the way it is.

Id just like it to be easier for weekly guys to compete with USAC and Qualifying is Paramount.

I've never understood why B main transfers get their time back above heat transfers. Makes no sense to me at all
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 8/25/19 at 12:02 PM.

8/25/19, 1:00 PM   #4
PJ Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post

I've never understood why B main transfers get their time back above heat transfers. Makes no sense to me at all
That is my one and only complaint with USAC.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

8/25/19, 5:12 PM   #5
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post

Because of the 6 car invert for heats. It balances putting on great racing for the fans, making the fast guys pass cars without screwing them over for setting a fast qualifying time.

If you go quick time you get inverted out of a transfer spot; but you know if you don't make the transfer you get the pole of the B and would start 7th in the A, balance.

USAC is the only major sanction that I know of that still inverts heat races, let alone top 6, which gives guys with less a chance to make the A Main. I don't think they should mess with the format, it works and you don't hear any driver whining over inverts.

Don't ruin a good thing, It's fine the way it is.
Last edited by brsteg; 8/25/19 at 5:14 PM.

8/25/19, 5:17 PM   #6
JarrettFarms73

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Wright View Post
That is my one and only complaint with USAC.
If they do away with this then they also need to get rid of the inversion in the heat races. if not, there’d be very little reward and a ton of risk/penalty for an excellent qualifying effort.

i feel usac has tried to make things a little more even by splitting the qualifying groups on 36+ car count nights.

8/25/19, 5:31 PM   #7
JarrettFarms73

on a side note, i really like having the boss teams w/ the saturday finale. Sure lap times may look a little different but for me, it was just as gut wrenching seeing Dallas Hewitt and Lee Underwood go for a ride as it was watching Windom and S. Cottle do the same. High quality, excellent night of racing.

4 members like this post: Big Mike 7, Blackduce, flagboy55, tirespinner
8/25/19, 6:31 PM   #8
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non wing lover View Post
Looked like to me that usac got shown up at Kokomo last night boss winner wins from 14 the place usac winner from the pole usac screwed a couple drivers in the heat races too chapple and ketcham obviously usac has their favorites the guys like the ketchams don't get the proper position finish in favor of the usac regular though it was interesting that premiere series usac draws 31 cars while under card draws 42cars why is that? How come the winner of harfs hard luck award winner was not announced? Rant over lots of good racing just had questions until next year
Enjoyed BOSS being the support series. However, apparently you overlooked that Westfall has been improving their performance by competing with USAC on a regular basis. There will always be times when regional or locals outshine a traveling series. We all know some teams that for various reasons seldom venture out of their comfort zone. BOSS is a fine series, but let's not read too much into one evening.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, tirespinner
8/25/19, 6:49 PM   #9
hoosierboy3

Any word and/or pic of the winner of that awesome wooden sprint car? Probably was posted already but I don’t have social media

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
8/25/19, 7:32 PM   #10
PJ Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettFarms73 View Post
If they do away with this then they also need to get rid of the inversion in the heat races. if not, there’d be very little reward and a ton of risk/penalty for an excellent qualifying effort.
The reward would be starting upfront in the B, in a transfer position before the green even flies.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, JarrettFarms73
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smackdown observation