IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Question For Everyone
9/1/08, 6:51 PM   #1
Question For Everyone
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

There is a horrible thing going on right now in racing of another kind. In Late Models, drivers are being busted left and right for chemically altering their tires for an advantage. Do you think this goes on in Sprint Car racing? And if it does, what if any punishment do you think should be handed down to the driver and team?

Dont turn this into a Late Model/Sprint Car war, cheating is cheating. Just looking for expert and valid opinions

9/1/08, 7:00 PM   #2
Re: Question For Everyone
RacinFool

Chris, I have seen it happen for years. The bottom line is how aggressive on tech and the rules a sanctioning body or track is.

9/1/08, 7:11 PM   #3
SUPERDUKE
Banned

HANG THEM ALL FROM A TALL TREE!:applaud::moon::kookoo

9/1/08, 7:33 PM   #4
e.g.

it is happening more than you think. i have been told about teams that have been caught but the sanctioning bodies didn't want to embarass the owners. they took the tires and told them don't do it again.

e.g.

9/1/08, 7:52 PM   #5
bigmojo5

Just how are the tires being chemically altered???
Jim Morrison

9/1/08, 7:59 PM   #6
c47

late models are not the only place it happens.
before someone gets hung for it, a check of the rules might be in order.
our club says that with the exception of syping and grooving, you cant "alter a tire"......does that mean no grinding? or using cleaners? or oiling the sidewalls?
or truing?
there has been "chemical warfare" going on in karting for a long time now as well as supposed softning of tires in nascar. lots of finger pointing in the DIRT modified classes too.......so its out there....i guess its just how hard they want to look....

9/1/08, 8:23 PM   #7
MikeJ1961

We as fans would probably be really surprised if we knew what all is going on in our beloved sport. I'm afraid that the cheating runs much further than just tires in all forms of motorsports. With all the technology out there today T/C is pretty much undetectable.

Mike

9/1/08, 8:24 PM   #8
Dwight Clock

From day one race teams have pushed the envelope. How much they get away with depends on how good the tech inspection is at that track/sanctioning body. Make sensible rules, understand that each rule has a period at the end of it and allow no deviations, and enforce uniformly always.

9/1/08, 8:30 PM   #9
bigmojo5

I remember when Bob Cicconi was "vulcanizing" his tires one day at Salem by wrapping his tires in wet rags to cool them and harden the rubber after qualifying. This was just a short time after USAC went to the rule of racing on the tire you qualified on.
Jim Morrison

9/1/08, 8:40 PM   #10
Peter Griffin

If people get caught cheating I dont give a dang who they are they should be punished BIG time. JMO I believe in the gray area but out right cheating is just plain horse CHIT!!! Traction Control, tire soaking anything else thats not leagle throw the FREAKIN BOOK at EM!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Question For Everyone