IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Duquoin
9/1/08, 5:34 AM   #21
Re: Duquoin
Dwight Clock

Congrats to Brian Tyler on his win! Good solid runs for DD & Shane. I'll bet Darland is sad to see August come to an end.

9/1/08, 6:14 AM   #22
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by algiordino4 View Post
I think Randy Bateman needs to be reconized for his efforts in a good night over all.

Absolutely correct. Randy is a great guy to talk to and considering how small an operation he is compared to TSR, 6R, and others he did really well. :thumb

Sad to see Parsons race and career ended due to motor issues.:thumbsdown:

9/1/08, 3:46 PM   #23
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

What a great finish at DuQuoin! After a mostly boring race until about lap 72, the ending was really fantastic. Dave Darland was able to make a pit stop to replace a right rear tire and really mounted a stirring charge through the field. I thought he would overtake Brian Tyler on that last lap restart, but he fell short by a split second margin. Hard to believe that Dave has never won at DuQuoin.
I was really impressed with Randy Bateman. After his second fast qualifying time, his car had to be push started, forcing him to start near the back. He ran competitively all evening until his car failed with about 10 laps to go. I would have loved to see him start up front and battle with the big dogs. He was very competitive at DuQuoin last year, also.
I was sorry to see Johnny Parsons last race end so early, but it was nice to see him end a 43 year career in the sport under his own terms. Enjoy your retirement, JP!

9/1/08, 6:06 PM   #24
tailtank

Congrats to Derek Hagar on his 9th place finish from 22nd starting position.:thumb

9/1/08, 6:58 PM   #25
Hubie

I made the trip from Indy and had a pretty good time

I think that the yellow on the 99th lap was bullsheet. If Tyler had not won that race I would'nt have been back

9/1/08, 9:41 PM   #26
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

Ron, Thank you for that explaination! I was wondering why Dave fell back to 9th!!!!

Hubie, What happened on lap 99?
Thanks!

9/1/08, 10:26 PM   #27
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtywhiteboy View Post
Sad to see Parsons race and career ended due to motor issues.:thumbsdown:
We lost a power steering hose. There was p/s fluid all the way to the end of the tail tank!
JP's career has had some incredible highs & some heart-breaking lows, but it's been a great ride and he was still able to smile after Sunday's race. I just feel lucky to have been able to crew for him.

9/1/08, 10:30 PM   #28
mortboyz

I agree with Ron, that was a great finish! Remembering back a few years ago when Paul White took Dave Darland out in turn one with one to go, Dave had the same opportunity last night with Brian Tyler. Dave was completely inside of Brian going in to one, but Brian held the line and Dave burped it enough to not touch him. Very clean and another example of why I root for "Dave the Rave" so much!:respect:
I really felt bad for Jerry Coons, Jr though. He made the "race" in my opinion. Didn't qualify and started 23rd (Toyota engine problems) and made it cleanly up to 5th before his RR gave up the ghost. Still managed a nice 7th, even after the airborne manuever in turn 2. Hell, after Springfield and now DuQuoin, if he'd qualify 17th or better, he'd win a few more :O:

Enjoyed the race, the beer and the Fair Food:applaud:

9/1/08, 10:46 PM   #29
Midget82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubie View Post
I made the trip from Indy and had a pretty good time

I think that the yellow on the 99th lap was bullsheet. If Tyler had not won that race I would'nt have been back
Seriously? :action-smiley-049:

Quote:
Originally Posted by racegal View Post
Hubie, What happened on lap 99?
Thanks!
Coons and another car got together in turn two right after they got the white. Not sure how Jerry kept the car on all fours. :respect:

Therefore, a car was stopped on the track and a yellow came out... All it did was make the end of the race that much more exciting, with Dave charging hard to the very end... :thumb

9/2/08, 4:43 AM   #30
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprntr View Post
We lost a power steering hose. There was p/s fluid all the way to the end of the tail tank!
JP's career has had some incredible highs & some heart-breaking lows, but it's been a great ride and he was still able to smile after Sunday's race. I just feel lucky to have been able to crew for him.
I don't think I was ever at a race where Johnny didn't smile after the race. A few years ago at Springifled it was absurdly hot and Johnny fell out of the race. After the race my dad and I ran to the pits to see Johnny and talk with him. He looked just dog tired but that Johnny Parsons smile was there on his face. A true gentleman through and through. Even when he signed that piece of the bumper after the Springfield wreck for me, he still had a smile, not as big as usual but a smile none the less.

You sprntr, are a lucky person to have worked with and for a legend like him.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Duquoin