IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2 Questions 1 more serious then the other.
3/2/17, 4:32 PM   #1
2 Questions 1 more serious then the other.
hoscalecody

Hello I didn't want to create two different topics when I could just number the questions on here Question 1 is something that gets annoying and been having it for going on 5 years Question 2 is just something i wondering both questions are very different from each other.

Question 1: Arm Restraints, I have arm restraints not sewn into the suit I've always ran Simpson suits and Simpson arm restraints that probably doesn't matter but put it out there any way, and no matter how tight I tighten them they come loose and slide up my arm to my wrist which made it where i couldn't use that hand to the to turn so I had to drive with 1 hand not to bad I did it a few times before and had to wait to get to a caution to slide it back down. So is there a fix or something i can do to not let it slide?

Question 2: About Lightning sprints and Motorcycle engines. (Not what you're thinking about.) Exhaust some people run Left side exit and some run right side exit I've always run right side exit but would I lose performance or power if i run 2 exit pipes out left and 2 out the right and have 1 muffler on both sides of the car to get the sprint car look on it I guess I don't know I've never seen someone do it and always got the idea and I love being different.

1 member likes this post: DAD
3/2/17, 4:45 PM   #2
Chris Baue

I used duct tape to hold my arm restraints in place after them sliding down my arm a cpl times.

3/2/17, 5:02 PM   #3
Re: 2 Questions 1 more serious then the other.
hoscalecody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Baue View Post
I used duct tape to hold my arm restraints in place after them sliding down my arm a cpl times.
Thanks never thought about that i'll try it.

3/2/17, 5:52 PM   #4
Jim Gardner

Assuming that you could design some header system that would make all of the tube lengths the same, you would be altering the back pressure compared to running a single header/muffler combo. Plus additional weight etc.

3/2/17, 7:05 PM   #5
badcoupe

That would hurt the scavenging effects of the collector by running two 2-1 collectors to a pipe. The tri y configuration or 4-1 help scavenging of the exhaust gasses

3/2/17, 7:11 PM   #6
DAD

Hos

#1 Simpson should be able to sew you some arm restraints for a nominal charge. We liked them because like Mittens they tend to get misplaced right before it is time to go out.

#2 I am a Muffologist by trade. We introduced left side exit exhaust in Mini Sprints back in 1992. The reason I had a head strong driver that wanted it to look like a Midget. We have tried about every exhaust configuration possible on the Mini's up to and including 4 single out with expansion chambers (we did get a kick in the butt at the end of the straight at the old Lawrenceburg) but couldn't use it). We have actually filled the primaries with liquid to cc them out so that would be perfectly equal. After doing all this research what we determined is Exhaust is pretty DUMB (get it close enough for government work) and go with it. I have a friend with a Dyno, he is that same driver I was talking about. He has claimed some success on the Dyno with HP numbers and primary lengths, BUT tracks do not perform like Dyno's. My next exhaust was going to be 2 out each side since everybody has seemed to fall in love with our left side Idea. I would probably bring them out 360 degrees out>>> that should help scavenging and make a weird sound. Be advised that if you are any good at set up and driving pretty soon everybody will be doing it.

PS. Ask any body that has listened to our old Kaw ZX10 what it sounded like>>>>and for that matter how it ran.
Last edited by DAD; 3/2/17 at 7:20 PM.

3/2/17, 8:45 PM   #7
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcoupe View Post
That would hurt the scavenging effects of the collector by running two 2-1 collectors to a pipe. The tri y configuration or 4-1 help scavenging of the exhaust gasses
I used to be an S&S Distributer, and that is what the gentleman told me , that owned the business, they had tried it in several versions and variations, and other than sound, the old 4-2-1 had the advantage. Bob

3/3/17, 5:10 AM   #8
Bill84

Race Count This Year: 17
Race Count Last Year: 13

My thoughts on the header aren't very high tech. I like my left side exit header, cause it don't get all covered with mud...

Bill

1 member likes this post: the1jet17
3/3/17, 12:14 PM   #9
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Baue View Post
Is that Nomex lined duct tape?

3 members like this post: jdull99, Roy Bleckert, wrtracing
3/3/17, 1:53 PM   #10
Chris Baue

Bout 3 layers

1 member likes this post: Roy Bleckert
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2 Questions 1 more serious then the other.