IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Knepper 55
12/16/16, 9:23 PM   #1
Knepper 55
tqracer53

How warm will the building be for the race. Need to know what to wear.

12/16/16, 9:30 PM   #2
Re: Knepper 55
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqracer53 View Post
How warm will the building be for the race. Need to know what to wear.

The back door will be open most of the night as cars have to exit to refuel and cars that don't fit in the building pit in a side barn.

Dress for the outside weather. You'll be dry with no wind. Not supposed to be too bad. Id say a coat. Maybe some light gloves.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 12/16/16 at 9:31 PM.

12/16/16, 10:18 PM   #3
Nate

I've always went with a hoodie on, and throw a jacket on if it gets too cold but half the time I never use it. Between the cars, the people and not having wind I've never been too uncomfortable

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, jim goerge
12/17/16, 10:27 AM   #4
wright59

How are the roads down there? Icy North of Indy

12/17/16, 1:37 PM   #5
illinisprintfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright59 View Post
How are the roads down there? Icy North of Indy
I live on US 50 which is about about an hour or so North of Duquoin. It has warmed up down here, so the roads are wet but not icy.

12/17/16, 4:24 PM   #6
sprinter31

Didn't make the trip this year 4.5 hour trip with the roads really bad this morning turns into a 7 or 8 hr trip. lol Just going to watch it on the net. First time I have missed it.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Jesse B
12/18/16, 1:41 AM   #7
Rpracing1

Out of town tonite. Could not make it. Wondering how we're fumes and crowd?

12/18/16, 3:54 PM   #8
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
Out of town tonite. Could not make it. Wondering how we're fumes and crowd?
Fumes weren't bad, racing was good, had about a 1/3 or so of capacity crowd. Weather really hurt this event, as far as crowd and some of the drivers not being able to get there. The amount of cars actually there was just about right for a good show, and there were not as many race stoppages as usual for spins, wrecks etc. Roads were slick and treacherous on the way home. There was a very serious looking wreck just before we got back to the Indiana border. Haven't heard anything about it, but there was an overturned pickup with the roof removed and a short distance away a jackknifed semi in the median, which had strewn lots of mud on the road. Don't know if they were involved together, or if they were separate incidents, but there were numerous emergency vehicles in attendance. I noticed that Art Knepper felt the crowd was about 60%; it was probably somewhere between his guess and mine.
Last edited by ronmil; 12/18/16 at 5:31 PM.

5 members like this post: Charles Nungester, dtrain10, Nate, Rpracing1, WinglessLovers
12/18/16, 10:29 PM   #9
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
There was a very serious looking wreck just before we got back to the Indiana border. Haven't heard anything about it, but there was an overturned pickup with the roof removed and a short distance away a jackknifed semi in the median, which had strewn lots of mud on the road. Don't know if they were involved together, or if they were separate incidents, but there were numerous emergency vehicles in attendance.
If you were on 64 that must have been where I saw chunks of dead grass and mud all over both the west and east bound lanes headed home this morning with tracks all through the median. Looked like there had been a wreck there. Hope everyone was alright. That's exactly why I stayed there last night and didn't attempt to drive back to Louisville until this morning.

As far as the racing goes, I will say the show ran pretty efficiently. They did not stretch it out at all and were done very early compared to other events there. Was a bit discouraged by the size of the crowd but with the weather the way it was, its pretty easy to understand why it wasn't a sellout. For me the fumes were never an issue, the heaviest they probably got was towards the end of hot laps and even then, they weren't bad.

The racing was pretty good. I was bummed to see Briscoe break after he had made a lot of headway but Meseraull provided plenty of excitement late wheeling it around the top on 3 wheels.

All and all, good night of racing. Beat sitting at home.

4 members like this post: mc/rider, ronmil, Rpracing1, Simon_says17
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Knepper 55