IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Coronavirus effecting motorsports.
3/12/20, 1:59 PM   #1
Coronavirus effecting motorsports.
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

What's your thoughts on all this going forward?

World Of Outlaws Sprint Cars & Late Model series as well as the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt series say they will monitor the situation.

Ultimate Late Model Series director Kelly Carton (Works in Medical field at a hospital - day job) Says outdoor events not as big of a risk as indoor events

NASCAR - To hold race at Atlanta with no fans & has postponed the race at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
IndyCar Series - To hold race at St. Petersburg with out fans.
NHRA - Cancels portion on Gatornationals in Gainesville, Florida.
Formula 1 - Cancels Australian Grand Prix.
IMSA / WEC - 12 hours of Sebring 1000m Cancelled.
Last edited by nathans1012; 3/12/20 at 2:04 PM.

1 member likes this post: EBookerFan
3/12/20, 7:25 PM   #2
IndianaSprintFan

I hate it. 24 hours ago I thought it was absurd to think this may hurt dirt racing but unfortunately I don’t see any racing happening for a few weeks. I don’t think we will see the no way out 40, atomic has already postponed the Lucas LM racing next weekend because the state made them.

3/12/20, 8:29 PM   #3
Re: Coronavirus effecting motorsports.
ISF

I am very happy for Lauren Stewart and all involved with the Shamrock Classic. It certainly appears that if the SC had been scheduled just one week later it probably would not have happened which I'm sure would have been extremely painful financially. In addition, it might have been the last racing we're likely to see for a while given the restriction's most of the states are mandating regarding crowd size.

4 members like this post: Blackduce, jdull99, luckybuc97, racenut69
3/12/20, 8:34 PM   #4
racefan20

The 600's at Port City still seem to be running. 9PM on floracing

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

3/12/20, 8:53 PM   #5
cjm3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
It’s all a agenda driven to kill the economy before November. Go look at how many people had the swine flew, just in time to pass the AFFORDABLE care act!!
The mainstream news is just pouring gasoline on all of this!

I always said one of these days the dumb in this country are going to outnumber the informed! I think we’re almost there!

Get ready America your world is going to change unfortunately!!
I agree 100% that this is being blown WAY out of proportion and it’s the swine flu not flew. But how is this all agenda driven to kill the economy? If they were trying to kill the economy wouldn’t they quarantine the whole country like Italy? Maybe you should stick to racing topics and not medical or political conversations on a racing forum.

3/12/20, 9:08 PM   #6
Jonr

So, if it continues down this path, it will be a while before the race season starts. Different cities have already invoked emergency measures to fight the outbreak. Pretty soon the states will do the same thing and once that starts our race season is impacted.

Regardless of where you stand on the political side of this event, the economic impact is real. Cancelling March Madness was huge. NBA, MLS, MLB suspended operations for a month is huge. The stock market crash is huge. Many people will be touched emotionally by having someone they love infected or pass away. I am afraid everyone will feel the economic impact.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
3/12/20, 10:01 PM   #7
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
What's your thoughts on all this going forward?
We just rolled through Dayton, OH on our way down to St. Pete for the IndyCar opener and found out the news. I "guess" I'll get my money back. I would have rather SPENT it, though.

Still headed south we are.

Plan B is to watch it in a bar in St. Pete.

My other thoughts.... to think I set my VCRs to tape F1, IndyCars, and Sebring the next two weekends, too. I had to sacrifice taping Adam-12 on MeTV every day for that. What a wrong roll of the dice. THAT'S what is under my skin more than ANYTHING.

Shaking hands and carrying on as usual I will be doing on this vacation. If I am going to be hit I am going to take it standing tall and not cowering in a closed up room. I have better things to do than panic. Hell, I survived Y2K.

3/13/20, 2:19 AM   #8

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 24

With all the cancelling/closing snowballing I don't see anything operating for sometime. I don't see the big series running empty stands working out. The small tracks and series live off the gate and not tv and likely will all fall to large gathering rules, track or promoter cancelling for the safety of their fans or to fear of no attendance. And IMO I do not see this being a few week thing. Hope I am wrong cause I am ready to see some dirt fly and then to INDY with 400,000 of my friends.

3 members like this post: dirt330, i love dirt track racing, superstock30
3/13/20, 7:30 AM   #9
PJ Wright

The reaction to this virus has given new meaning to the term 'March madness'. SMH
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

8 members like this post: dirt330, duel, Hotrod, interpreter66, jdull99, Joekocjan, K92, racenut69
3/13/20, 10:30 AM   #10
interpreter66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
We just rolled through Dayton, OH on our way down to St. Pete for the IndyCar opener and found out the news. I "guess" I'll get my money back. I would have rather SPENT it, though.

Still headed south we are.

Plan B is to watch it in a bar in St. Pete.

My other thoughts.... to think I set my VCRs to tape F1, IndyCars, and Sebring the next two weekends, too. I had to sacrifice taping Adam-12 on MeTV every day for that. What a wrong roll of the dice. THAT'S what is under my skin more than ANYTHING.

Shaking hands and carrying on as usual I will be doing on this vacation. If I am going to be hit I am going to take it standing tall and not cowering in a closed up room. I have better things to do than panic. Hell, I survived Y2K.
Come on down weather is still great! Need to make a friend quickly who lives in one of the high rise condos surrounding the track,you can then watch it😀

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Coronavirus effecting motorsports.