IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Windom's move
7/27/18, 1:15 PM   #1
Windom's move
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 22

Anybody else think Windom's move last night on Hopkins was dirty? He pulled a bonzi slider and ran AJ off the track, then after the race he stands up in his car and stares at AJ and throws his arms up like it was AJ's fault. Fan's booed the crap out of him and props to AJ for taking it in stride stating " it's all good ". Think Big Daddy hopefully gets some payback in the future.

5 members like this post: jim goerge, Kingz, popham, ryan84, tirespinner
7/27/18, 1:26 PM   #2
Re: Windom's move
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Oh, Guess you didn't see A.J drive through KTj and others?
Got a dose of his own medicine.

Not saying Hopkins isn't a Gasser or even a bad guy, but only a few of his passes, I'd call clean.

2 members like this post: dustbowl, robert gatten
7/27/18, 1:47 PM   #3
Jerry Shaw

"Dirty" implies intent and I can't get inside a driver's head and have any idea what he was thinking, especially on a slick track. It was definitely a bad move, IMO. It was a slider that didn't come close to being executed successfully. The worst part for me, as a fan, was that in one fail swoop, the only driver that possibly had anything for Dave coming down to the finish, was taken out of contention. Because Windom absolutely did not have anything for the leader. And I've been to LPS enough to know, that if AJ is within striking distance coming down to the checker, he's going to pull out all the stops and go for it.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 7/27/18 at 2:07 PM.

7/27/18, 2:45 PM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I'll only go further to say that many of the passes last night had contact and when all that's left is a cushion, that's the racing you get.

I thought both Wed's and Thurs tracks would have been much better if the Mods had run last.

4 members like this post: fish, hairracer44, Speedmax3, sprinter31
7/27/18, 3:17 PM   #5
ISF

From strictly a bleacher jockey fan perspective the move Windom put on Hopkins was more than a bit sketchy, but as Jerry said it's hard to determine intent. From what we've seen from Windom over the years it's difficult to say definitively that the move was made with malicious intent without Windom coming truthfully clean as to his thought process. It's definitely something that seems to happen relatively infrequently from Windom so the benefit of the doubt is probably a virtue from those of us not directly involved.

What I'd be more interested in hearing from Windom is why the moment of post race theatrics from him. From our perspective Hopkins did nothing to provoke such a maneuver if it was done with intent. If it wasn't then Hopkins really didn't warrant such a reaction from Windom. But again, only those two know for sure.
Last edited by ISF; 7/27/18 at 6:01 PM.

7/27/18, 5:53 PM   #6
brian2h

I’m not sure what race you was watching Charles but aj never touched kt when he passed him but kt sure hit aj in the left front when he tried to slide him back. I can tell you after 30 years of racing that a drive can stop the car from sliding up the track if he knows he is not gonna clear the car it’s no accident what happened it’s just a I’m more important than you so get out of the way. The track was just how I like it and you dang sure can pass with out hitting other cars. There was a lot of clean passing in that race

7/27/18, 6:15 PM   #7
hoosier race fan

A post-race gesture would seem to illustrate intent. Unless Windom was under the impression that the contact was the fault of Hopkins, and the gesture was intended to show his displeasure over that.

2 members like this post: dstensland, tirespinner
7/27/18, 6:25 PM   #8
popham

As was said last night a few weeks back, Hopkins admitted he flat took Colten Cottle out of a feature win by over driving into him going into turn 3 and knocking Cottle completely off the track after Cottle had led most of the feature with only 4 laps to go. Did anyone else see Hopkins run into the back of Carson Short on the back stretch turning him almost sideways last night. For all the fans he may have on the front stretch, HE is making enemies in the pits. You ever heard of karma. Seems like Indiana Sprint Week brings out this kind of stuff.

2 members like this post: Steve Wendel, tirespinner
7/27/18, 7:50 PM   #9
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by popham View Post
As was said last night a few weeks back, Hopkins admitted he flat took Colten Cottle out of a feature win by over driving into him going into turn 3 and knocking Cottle completely off the track after Cottle had led most of the feature with only 4 laps to go. Did anyone else see Hopkins run into the back of Carson Short on the back stretch turning him almost sideways last night. For all the fans he may have on the front stretch, HE is making enemies in the pits. You ever heard of karma. Seems like Indiana Sprint Week brings out this kind of stuff.
I’m sick of hearing about “ Karma” if two drivers have a problem go somewhere and settle it like men. Taking someone out and tearing up cars or possibly severely injuring someone is just plain stupid. Grow a set and take care of your problem off the track.

7/27/18, 8:19 PM   #10
Pat O'Connor Fan

Maybe someone in the sanctioning body should be speaking privately with some drivers about this slidejob BS that seems to be getting way out of line.

4 members like this post: Leohr46, PIT CART, Steve Wendel, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Windom's move