IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > RIP Larry Miller
11/8/12, 7:52 PM   #1
RIP Larry Miller
aceace

Many of you knew him from way back when. My Father passed away this afternoon at age 76. I will be back on tomorrow sometime to tell you the arrangements. Here is a link to a previous IOW thread which has the racing pictures from the 60's and 70's
https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=16359
Last edited by aceace; 11/8/12 at 7:57 PM. Reason: add

11/8/12, 8:18 PM   #2
Re: RIP Larry Miller
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

I am very sorry for your loss. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

11/8/12, 8:27 PM   #3
racerjim2

RIP Larry Miller. I always thought he was was one of the best around Indiana. Right there with Gaines, Gilstrap and Mike Johnson.

7 members like this post: Eldora Three, LUCKYONE, racephoto1, Russ, smith19, tim brown, TQ29m
11/8/12, 10:43 PM   #4
Jerry Shaw

Greg,

That's sad to hear. I spent so many Saturday nights on that Paragon hillside. I liked Larry Miller from Ooooolitic, Indiana, driving that yellow car probably as much as any other driver, when I was just learning to be a sprint car fan. Along with Chuck Amati. I've told a whole lot of race fans that Larry Miller is the best damn driver that not that many people talk about today. It's a sad day and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

4 members like this post: dusty tracks, jim goerge, LUCKYONE, rclaridge
11/9/12, 2:00 AM   #5
Flatrightrear

I'm sorry for the loss of your dad. He was awful tough at Haubstadt in the '60's and '70's. Tom

11/9/12, 5:45 AM   #6
tim brown

So sorry to hear Bless the Miller Family.

11/9/12, 6:23 AM   #7
ByronMack

So sorry to hear this. One of the greats, always wished I had gotten to see him race. From a fellow Oolitician, sending thoughts and prayers.

Posted via Mobile Device

11/9/12, 8:27 AM   #8
Keith Ford

God bless Larry Miller, we all know where he is today. I have an oil painting on my office wall look at it every day, he was a friend and role model

2 members like this post: dusty tracks, Jerry Shaw
11/9/12, 10:37 AM   #9
ROSS

Race Count Last Year: 53

aceace,

Wanted to share a quick story with you. Me and my family were eating lunch at the steak and shake over in Plainfield Indiana about 4 years ago. When a gentleman walked over to ask me about my Bill Rose shirt I was wearing and if I was a race fan. I explained to him that one of my passions in life was sprint car racing and how I'm always amazed at the speed and bravery the guys show. My son (8) began to explain that he races quarter midgets and how much he enjoyed it as well. Your dad sat down with us and began telling us stories of his days racing and how much fun he had during those days. He explained that he and Spike Rose (Bill's dad) were buddies and raced against each other back in the day. We had some good laughs and many smiles. After a good 30 to 45 minutes he shook our hands and we let him know we hoped to see him at the track someday. After my wife and son finished there milk shakes I asked the waitress for our ticket to pay. She said it had already been taken care of by your dad. He sure made a impression on me and the family. What a nice guy he was, my son still brings that up when we go back there. I told Spike later that day I had ran into him and the stories began again. I can't help but smile knowing those two are up above smiling and laughing right now. Maybe there getting the cars back out? Sorry to hear the sad news I wished I could have returned the favor on the lunch.

11/9/12, 10:41 AM   #10
dirtnut

Thoughts and prayers to you and the rest of the Miller family. Remember seeing Larry at Haubstadt with his mechanic, some guy named Karl Kinser. That yellow #22 was tough. RIP Larry.

1 member likes this post: smith19
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > RIP Larry Miller