IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint Week 2023
7/30/23, 3:34 PM   #1
ThrowbackRacingTeam

What an awesome week! Want to thank all parties involved for providing such an action packed week of racing. Already making plans to attend more of it next year.
Car counts- Exceeded my overall expectations. Over 50 at 3 tracks, adequate at the rest. Cars and drivers from all over the country and Australia was cool to see.
Racing- Very exciting. The most aggressive non-wing driving I’ve ever seen. From a fan’s perspective…just wow!
Track Prep- Good to great at virtually every track. Putnamville and Bloomington were more exciting than the last few times I’d been there. A little less frontstretch dust at Terre Haute would be nice but it wasn’t terrible. At Putnamville, maybe using trucks to run in the mud would have helped speed things along but not sure. Loved the 7pm start at Bloomington. It allowed most of the stands to be in the shade at the start of hot laps and the USAC feature ended right at 10pm with the best feature track conditions I’ve ever seen there.
Extra curriculars- I started the second leg at Terre Haute with a severe head cold so I eliminated all late night activities but on Thursday we did do go karts at Bogeys (I lost, too fat), saw Indiana Jones at the nearby theater and then ate at Show Me’s. Ahhh Show Me’s. I took Chet’s advice and traveled highway 40 looking for a fruit and vegetable stand but to no avail so it was greasy race track food at the Put. Friday we started the day talking to the Amantea crew in Cloverdale while they were in the middle of an engine change in a parking lot. Then, things got a bit chaotic getting the hotel we wanted in Bloomington but once that got settled we drove back out to Ellittsville to play mini golf. I can usually beat the kids at mini golf and wanted to make up for my lackluster performance at Bogey’s. Unfortunately, the place was closed due to the rain in the morning so I’d have to wait to settle the score. We settled for ice cream next door and as I sit down with my strawberry cone, I look up and there’s Brandon Mattox’s team working on the sprint car at the car wash across the street. Those kinds of moments just add to the experience that is “sprint week”, traveling from town to town.
After many years of only attending the second leg (because it includes the half mile), I’m vowing to do the whole thing next year. After watching the first leg on Flo this year, it’s just too good to miss!

7/30/23, 5:10 PM   #2
Re: Sprint Week 2023
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
What an awesome week! Want to thank all parties involved for providing such an action packed week of racing. Already making plans to attend more of it next year.
Car counts- Exceeded my overall expectations. Over 50 at 3 tracks, adequate at the rest. Cars and drivers from all over the country and Australia was cool to see.
Racing- Very exciting. The most aggressive non-wing driving I’ve ever seen. From a fan’s perspective…just wow!
Track Prep- Good to great at virtually every track. Putnamville and Bloomington were more exciting than the last few times I’d been there. A little less frontstretch dust at Terre Haute would be nice but it wasn’t terrible. At Putnamville, maybe using trucks to run in the mud would have helped speed things along but not sure. Loved the 7pm start at Bloomington. It allowed most of the stands to be in the shade at the start of hot laps and the USAC feature ended right at 10pm with the best feature track conditions I’ve ever seen there.
Extra curriculars- I started the second leg at Terre Haute with a severe head cold so I eliminated all late night activities but on Thursday we did do go karts at Bogeys (I lost, too fat), saw Indiana Jones at the nearby theater and then ate at Show Me’s. Ahhh Show Me’s. I took Chet’s advice and traveled highway 40 looking for a fruit and vegetable stand but to no avail so it was greasy race track food at the Put. Friday we started the day talking to the Amantea crew in Cloverdale while they were in the middle of an engine change in a parking lot. Then, things got a bit chaotic getting the hotel we wanted in Bloomington but once that got settled we drove back out to Ellittsville to play mini golf. I can usually beat the kids at mini golf and wanted to make up for my lackluster performance at Bogey’s. Unfortunately, the place was closed due to the rain in the morning so I’d have to wait to settle the score. We settled for ice cream next door and as I sit down with my strawberry cone, I look up and there’s Brandon Mattox’s team working on the sprint car at the car wash across the street. Those kinds of moments just add to the experience that is “sprint week”, traveling from town to town.
After many years of only attending the second leg (because it includes the half mile), I’m vowing to do the whole thing next year. After watching the first leg on Flo this year, it’s just too good to miss!
The fruit and vegetable stand is east of Putnamville thats why you missed it.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, ThrowbackRacingTeam, tirespinner, TQ29m
7/30/23, 6:04 PM   #3
John P Huss

Mike- Well Said About Sprint Week!
Best Regards,
John

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint Week 2023