IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Angell Park last night
8/31/15, 11:46 AM   #1
Angell Park last night
hungthrottlepodcast

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 20

Made it up to Angell Park last night for their last show of 2015 (happy to say, they were already talking about 2016 on the PA) which included winged sprint cars (combo show NSL/IRA) and Badger midgets. Best car count I have seen there in years. The sprint cars brought 42 and I think the midgets were 27. It was fantastic to see all those cars there in both divisions and I'd like to send a "thanks" from this race fan to all the teams. Also, great crowd showed up last night, probably the biggest of 2015 and I feel like everybody got their money's worth.

Sprint cars: It was awesome to see an 11.985 second lap in a winged sprint car by Billy Balog. It was really a high quality field of cars. Racing for the most part was clean, except for a couple of incidents in the feature. That really attests to the skill level of the drivers that showed up. I was disappointed that Loyet lost the lead there at the end only because we had seen him run midget many times over the years at Sun Prairie. Still, Lasoski is the veteran and he was able to pass for both second and first place using a high line coming down for the restart and then slide jobbing in turn 1. Good stuff.

Midgets. Maybe somebody can tell me where all the cars came from last night? It's the most midgets I've seen show up to Angell Park in quite some time and a lot of guys I didn't recognize (then again, I only see BMARA at Angell Park). That said, it was great to see so many cars and unknown drivers. Hoping they all come back next year as they put on an entertaining show. Was very happy that Dave Budres won the 2015 Badger championship because he's been racing a long time on a shoe string budget and has worked his ass off to get to where he is.. a champion. I don't know what others thought of the midget feature last night, but I sure found it entertaining because two grooves were available.

Looking forward to 2016.

5 members like this post: fish, racegal, Ray3, SAC74, Tom23
8/31/15, 3:40 PM   #2
Re: Angell Park last night
SAC74

I made it to Angell Park last night too. I thought the show was fantastic! Sure was nice to see enough midgets to run a B main again. The sprint & midget features were both really fun to watch. Lots of side by side racing, even 3 wide in the midget feature. If they keep this up, I'm going back more often next year.

2 members like this post: fish, Ray3
8/31/15, 4:26 PM   #3
Ray3

Here is some video of the start of the Badger Midget feature from last night! This goes until the first caution.

https://youtu.be/Bfxpp8YaxY0
Last edited by Ray3; 8/31/15 at 4:30 PM.

1 member likes this post: Braz27
8/31/15, 4:44 PM   #4
gofast

At least 6 "midgets" were actually 1000cc mini sprints

1 member likes this post: RickyBobby
8/31/15, 5:50 PM   #5
SAC74

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast View Post
At least 6 "midgets" were actually 1000cc mini sprints
Yeah I know some of the cars were mini sprints but who cares? It didn't make the race any less exciting. The guy sitting next to me said one of the mini sprints finished second last week. I think he said it was the yellow car that dropped out while running 2nd or 3rd in the feature last night.

8/31/15, 7:05 PM   #6
Ray3

“Neuman wins Angell Park finale”

Jake Neuman captured the 20-lap Zimbrick Chevrolet of Sun Prairie/Mid-State Equipment Badger Midget Series feature, Sunday Night at Angell Park Speedway. The event concluded the season at the track and Badger’s 79th season of sanctioning midget auto racing. David Budres, and Manic Racing captured the Badger Drivers and Car Owner Championships.

Rookie Derek Childs paced the initial four laps, before Brandon Waelti moved into the top position. Neuman moved into second palce, two laps later and passed Waelti for the lead on the eighth lap. Neuman held a one second lead over Budres at the midway point.

Neuman began lapping slower traffic, with six laps remaining, and continued to increase his lead each lap. Budres and Bill Balog waged a great battle behind Neuman. Neuman driving the RAB Racing owned Spike/Fontana No. 57 finished ahead of his teammate Balog who made the pass for second place on the final lap. Budres, Waelti and Aaron Schuck completed the top five. Twenty of the events twenty-two starters finished the race.

“The team gave me a great car, this is a great way to rebound after last week here at the track” commented Neuman who became the tracks fourth first-time midget feature winner of the season.

SUMMARY
20-lap Feature: 1. Jake Neuman; 2. Bill Balog; 3. David Budres; 4. Brandon Waelti; 5. Aaron Schuck; 6. Mitchell Davis; 7. Kurt Mayhew; 8. Buddy Luebke; 9. Zach Emmons; 10. Derek Childs; 11. Brad Greenup; 12. Mike Stroik; 13. Danny Smith; 14. Ken Hanson; 15. Tommy Bigelow; 16. John Smith; 17. Randy Reed; 18.Paul Shaffer; 19. Neil Weigen; 20. Scott Zane; 21. Andy Baugh; 22. Johnny Murdock.
10-lap Semi feature Winner: Mayhew.
8-lap Heat Race Winners: Luebke, Waelti, Balog.
Cars Present: 27 Feature Lap Leaders: Childs 1-4, Waelti 5-8, Neuman 9-20.

1 member likes this post: fish
8/31/15, 9:12 PM   #7
Jonr

Glad to hear that Angell Park had a good show. I love that place. I constantly say that Angell Park is the only thing that I miss from when I lived in Wisconsin.

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, Ray3
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Angell Park last night