IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IndyCar Finale (Spoiler)
8/31/15, 1:21 PM   #1
IndyCar Finale (Spoiler)
Stevensville Mike

I am surprised no one has yet to congratulate Scott Dixon & Ganassi for yet another IndyCar title on our forum. It was Montoya & Penske's to give away and subsequently, they managed to do so. Of course, the "double points" gimmick sure played into the result but everyone knew the format going into Sonoma.

A little talk pre-race about driver safety on NBCSN was done. No matter what side of this topic you are on (I do not wish to rehash it) it will be interesting to see what done or not done in 2016.

Nonetheless, congrats to Scott Dixon on his title.

5 members like this post: EBookerFan, mc/rider, Puppy, ronmil, v8j
8/31/15, 1:52 PM   #2
Re: IndyCar Finale (Spoiler)
Tony74

It was good finish, and remember too that Indy is double points and I believe that removing both double point shows wouldn't change Dixon as winning the Championship.
I'd rather see the 500 milers as double points and not a road race.

4 members like this post: EBookerFan, Mattmac05, scottyCbus, Stevensville Mike
8/31/15, 10:28 PM   #3
Topless77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony74 View Post
It was good finish, and remember too that Indy is double points and I believe that removing both double point shows wouldn't change Dixon as winning the Championship.
I'd rather see the 500 milers as double points and not a road race.
Juan wins by 4 without both double point races

3 members like this post: DaveP63, i love dirt track racing, Stevensville Mike
9/1/15, 7:34 AM   #4
stp6237

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 11

There are two options. First, all races have same point structure. Or second option, multi-tier point system. If they want to "juice up" the points battle assign points by the length of the race. Start with 2 points per mile for the winner, example winner of a 500 mile race gets 1000 points, winner of a 300 mile race gets 600 points and so forth. For the rest of the finishers you can assign a 5 point reduction for each place lower. Example, 10th in a 500 miler would get 955, 10th in 300 miler would get 555. Another way would be to assign a drop by percentage of race distance. Winner 2 points per mile, 2nd 1.8, third 1.6 and so forth. There would be a problem that you will run out of points before you get to the end of the field, but it would keep badly damaged cars off the track when they have no chance of scoring points. I am sure USAC used some sort of this before, that is why the Midget champion scored so few points while running 40 races a season while the Championship cars had much higher point totals with far fewer races. I know they were trying to keep the points race alive through the whole year but you don't need "gimmicks" when the racing is good. See NASCAR and the "Chase"

1 member likes this post: EBookerFan
9/1/15, 1:11 PM   #5
Puppy

Dixon has relativly quietly become one of the best ever!

2 members like this post: btg1963, Stevensville Mike
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IndyCar Finale (Spoiler)