IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > West Coasters
8/2/20, 9:58 AM   #1
West Coasters
jim goerge

I just want to say a big THANK YOU for coming out to the midwest for sprint week. I talked to one team and they told me they came cuz "There"s no racing back home and ISW sounded like fun" I thought wow travel a couple thousand miles cuz they wanted to race, so kool. I thought if their coming all this way then I could help them a bit by buying a shirt from them.

8/2/20, 10:19 AM   #2
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
I thought if their coming all this way then I could help them a bit by buying a shirt from them.

Nothing to do with West Coasters,but.... I was talking to the cuties at Dunkin Donuts a couple weeks ago at the drive thru. While paying for my coffee the one taking my money was asking how my day was going etc. Then the girl making my coffee comes over and says "You always wear the coolest shirts"! Me...I do? The girl tells me yeah Id buy that shirt off from you ( Tye Dye Silver Crown shirt) I told her that she would float in my shirt as she was so much smaller than my shirt. She said she likes XL and 2X t shirts. The sleeves come down to her elbows,and they are long enough she doesnt have to wear pants with it! I told her...."I wish more girls thought like you did"! They both giggled as I drove off.

On Friday I pulled in while working for a cup of coffee, and the same girls were working (I think,its hard to tell with their masks on) and I asked which one of them thinks I have the cool shirts and the one girl says thats me. I asked if she would be working later,and she said she worked till 6. After work I went home and got a couple of my old shirts out and took them with me and gave them to her. A couple of other co workers were there talking with them thru the window and they ALL were excited when I pulled them out and gave them to her. Yesterday I went thru and the original girl and one of the ones that was talking thru the window were working and they both told me they wore the shirts out Friday and everyone LOVED THEM.... Then the 2nd girl tells me her mom loved the shirts and she wants one,and she tells me "I will buy some off you for any price" Looks like I'll have to go thru my old shirts for some more to give them. Its not like I own to many t shirts or anything like that......
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 8/2/20 at 2:29 PM.

8/2/20, 11:18 AM   #3
Re: West Coasters
jonboat15

Now you have the mom involved, I like where this is going... Gigggitty. lol.
Those west coast guys did ok, lots of good drivers from that state

8/2/20, 12:00 PM   #4
jim goerge

Andrew and where is this Dunkin"s? lol

8/2/20, 12:31 PM   #5
Rpracing1

Quote:
Easy there Jimbo!

8/2/20, 12:59 PM   #6
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
You wanna unload some shirts too? They’d probably rather have your flast though!

2 members like this post: jim goerge, racenut69
8/2/20, 1:46 PM   #7
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboat15 View Post
Now you have the mom involved, I like where this is going... Gigggitty. lol.
Those west coast guys did ok, lots of good drivers from that state
Id be more interested in the grandma.On another note a couple of those racers from out west ran well.I proud they come to Indiana

8/2/20, 1:52 PM   #8
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 22

I've had chics take the shirt off my back, but never at a Dunkin'

3 members like this post: Andrew S. Quinn, interpreter66, jim goerge
8/2/20, 2:44 PM   #9
Andrew S. Quinn

I always liked it when the CRA guys would come out with a totally different driving style than what we saw in Indiana. Pitching it in,and diamonding off the corners.

I have a virgin "Tempe Tornado" Lealand McSpadden shirt in my collection along with a JJ Yeley in the 76 ABC car. Both are white,and I never had good luck keeping white shirts clean,so I never wore them. I also have a "Super" Ricky Gaunt firesuit I bid on and won at a fund raiser for injured drivers at Manzanita many years ago. It hangs in my living room next to a firesuit Mike Hess gave me,and a crew shirt that Court Grandstaff (Trop Arctic Phillips 66) gave me many years after I asked him about an old crew shirt. By chance,I was at Knoxville on my way home from the Belleville Midget Nationals, and was visiting friends in the campground up the street,and went to the mens room to take a leak and low and behold Court was coming out and spots me and tells me "Andrew you asked me for a crew shirt many years ago,and I never forgot that." Our paths didnt cross very often back then,but he had a brand new crew shirt that he gave me that day. He had sold off his sprint car stuff by then and was just spectating at Knoxville that night. It was just an incredible chance meeting there. I think I have seen him at the Chili Bowl just once since then,again years ago now.
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 8/2/20 at 2:46 PM.

8/2/20, 3:00 PM   #10
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
I always liked it when the CRA guys would come out with a totally different driving style than what we saw in Indiana. Pitching it in,and diamonding off the corners.

I have a virgin "Tempe Tornado" Lealand McSpadden shirt in my collection along with a JJ Yeley in the 76 ABC car. Both are white,and I never had good luck keeping white shirts clean,so I never wore them. I also have a "Super" Ricky Gaunt firesuit I bid on and won at a fund raiser for injured drivers at Manzanita many years ago. It hangs in my living room next to a firesuit Mike Hess gave me,and a crew shirt that Court Grandstaff (Trop Arctic Phillips 66) gave me many years after I asked him about an old crew shirt. By chance,I was at Knoxville on my way home from the Belleville Midget Nationals, and was visiting friends in the campground up the street,and went to the mens room to take a leak and low and behold Court was coming out and spots me and tells me "Andrew you asked me for a crew shirt many years ago,and I never forgot that." Our paths didnt cross very often back then,but he had a brand new crew shirt that he gave me that day. He had sold off his sprint car stuff by then and was just spectating at Knoxville that night. It was just an incredible chance meeting there. I think I have seen him at the Chili Bowl just once since then,again years ago now.
Lot of them old guys left their mark on Indiana, by staying, and racing here, there were a lot of them that did, the Flying A stations upstate were owned by Red Amick, nearly any old name you can associate with can be traced back to California, had to be something other than just racing kept them here!

2 members like this post: Andrew S. Quinn, jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > West Coasters