IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Jalopiejoe (Offline)
  #11 7/12/17 4:06 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to upset anyone!
I was just curious about something that doesn't need really to be dismantled! The car only has 300 miles on it, why take it apart?
I like to know how things work, that's all!
Jalopiejoe (Offline)
  #12 7/12/17 7:08 PM
Originally Posted by jjones752:
I was about to write what Glen just said; I've had mine apart and Bob's right, not much there. A worm gear and a pinion gear on 2 perpendicular shafts and the support bearings; the housing bolt hole pattern's eccentric compared to the cover, which is how you adjust the lash.
Helpful hint: if you ever do take it apart, scribe a line on the mating pieces so you orient it the same way going back together or that lash adjustment may take forever...
That's pretty much what I expected was in there! Explains why it's so hard to turn when you're not or just barely moving!
Thanks! Joe
Mrs G (Offline)
  #13 7/12/17 7:33 PM
Originally Posted by Baylands:
Here you're talking to people that pull everything apart because we tagged the wall hard last week and need to check everything before going back the next race. If it's giving you sleepless nights wondering what's inside just pull the damn thing apart with a buddy that can put it back together if you can't. You could also Google "Worm and gear manual steering box", the Schroeder is just a nice aluminum/magnesium version of an old steering box from the 30's. I don't think you'll get sympathy from this crowd you think it's too much work to pull it out of the car! Spend an evening in the pits at Kokomo.
Wow, I'm pretty sure he's just looking for help from the racing community, not sympathy, which is just one of the many reasons this site was created!

Mrs G
7 Likes: EPSpeed, Jalopiejoe, jjones752, PIT CART, spicoli, Topless77, TQ29m
Jalopiejoe (Offline)
  #14 7/12/17 8:31 PM
Originally Posted by Mrs G:
Wow, I'm pretty sure he's just looking for help from the racing community, not sympathy, which is just one of the many reasons this site was created!

Mrs G
Thanks Mrs G!
Topless77 (Offline)
  #15 7/12/17 9:14 PM
Originally Posted by Mrs G:

Mrs G
Yeah Mrs. G summed it up perfectly. A guy just asked a question and gets jumped for it. If someone asks a simple question and you can't give a civilized answer it's prolly best to keep your smart mouth shut. Old saying, there are no dumb questions just dumb answers.
Jalopiejoe (Offline)
  #16 7/12/17 10:59 PM
Thanks Topless77!
Jalopiejoe (Offline)
  #17 7/14/17 1:03 PM
I am still looking for a box blow-up diagram or pictures of internal parts especially steering shaft and worm & bearings. Anything you might have!
The steering in the car works just fine. It would be stupid to tear it apart just to see what's in there!
I have a pretty good idea but I would like to confirm it!
I like to know how things work! 😆👌
Thanks! Joe
Jalopiejoe (Offline)
  #18 7/16/17 10:01 PM
I know this is very crude but I drew this on a napkin and it is a Schroeder box with a steering multiplier. (In my imagination!)

Never mind attachment won't upload!
TQ29m (Online)
  #19 7/17/17 10:28 AM
Joe, take that 3 bolt cap off the bottom, and you can unwind the steering shat out of the box, or the one on top, either way, without destroying anything, you have almost everything there is in there, in your hand! Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
Jalopiejoe (Offline)
  #20 7/17/17 1:14 PM
Thanks Bob!
I've got it all figured out now!
One of the other forum members confirmed my drawing was correct!
Joe 👍😆