IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Closed Thread
smith19 (Offline)
  #31 7/14/11 1:52 PM
Carl cruze is still a dj for a local rock and roll station here in cincy. 92.5 fm...

CHRIS SMITH
midgetracer (Offline)
  #32 7/14/11 2:43 PM
Thebus79h that was a well thought out and informative post.
I personally feel which organization develops engine rules and regulations
That uses the tranny will have a positive increase in car count numbers which in turn brings in more pit passes and fans.. increased revenue ..o
There are potential car owners right now waiting for next years engine rules before they purchase a tq versus a mini sprint..
Posted via Mobile Device
Shawn (Offline)
  #33 7/14/11 3:21 PM
I think that "tweaking" the rules is one thing, but totally writing different rules to allow this car or that car isn't the way to go. If there's a way to open it up to allow newer engines to be involved, great. However, aren't these already being allowed? It's not just Honda anymore, but Suzuki and Kawasaki's are options. I also know that you can get a pretty good deal on them.

I guess what makes me wonder about overhauling the rules to allow chain-drives, etc. is why? Again, some tweaking is one thing, but I feel like this is totally going away from making TQ's different from Mini and Micro Sprints. TQ's are TQ's, period! If there are no chain-driven cars, but that goes for everyone and should stay that way.

Do you think USAC should allow wings to help car counts? Do you think Mini-Sprints should allow TQ's? The list could go on and on, really. There's not a shortage of TQ's, or parts, IMO. It's not all about tradition, but more about keeping a TQ, a TQ.

Lastly, the split was because of the ******** and happenings of one series. It wasn't a one time situation, but years of issues within it. With that being said, I still think it'll be a long time before any resolution would occur.

Again, this is just my opinion. Thebus and others have great inputs, too.

Shawn
midgetracer (Offline)
  #34 7/14/11 4:42 PM
No chain drives. Simply the drive shaft attaches to the transmission instead of the crankshaft. Cost effective and overall an option for car owners to run modern engines without cutting them up and removing the transmission.
This option will not give an unfare advantage to people who want its simply cheaper and saves the people that work on the car valuable time. To put towards other things family,work,etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
tim kelley (Offline)
  #35 7/14/11 10:00 PM
Shawn, I think you said all that needs to be said. I agree 100%. Tim
tqracer65 (Offline)
  #36 7/14/11 10:29 PM
now theres something to consider attaching a driveshaft to the tranny even coming up with a 1 to 1 ratio would take some work but same affect as running off the crank correct???
buckshot3448 (Offline)
  #37 7/15/11 1:16 AM
modlites run a drive shaft of the tranny to a quick change. it can be done the problem is the engine will have to be offset to the leftso the driveshaft can come thru the plate and to the rearend
thebus79h (Offline)
  #38 7/15/11 7:19 PM
Don't even need the chain drive. Cut the transmission off, and go race it. No having to figure out oiling systems, just use the stock on.

These cars need more power in order to make the racing better. In a 20 car field, putting 12th quick up there (after not earning the pole), and holding everybody up isn't a good race. Give these cars some power to bust the tires loose, and go race.

Why does an old school car have to be from the stone age it seems? Why is new such a bad thing?
Posted via Mobile Device
DAD (Offline)
  #39 7/17/11 12:06 PM
TQ's are a lot like quarter midgets. I raced quarters 45 years ago and the engine there rules specified was the old continental red seal that was an antique back then. They kept this rule up until several years ago and prices for these engines got higher and higher. Now they have two clubs but at least they got new motor rules a real ohv that works stock almost as good as the old "AA fuel motor". They also are getting away from teaching kids how to drive right, taking away calls on blocking, charging, and rough driving, but that would be another post.
We have been running the minisprint toy cars for about 20 years now. Or engine was made in 2008. I had a 750 honda motor cycle in 1974 and it was fast,but times change. Or motor is geared to turn 13500 rpm's and make about 225 hp stock on alchol. Try that with a 2 valve 35 year old 836 honda. Now here is the problem with TQ rules on a small 1/5 to 1/4 mile track we gear around 12.5 to 13.5 to 1 gear. What kind of a ring gear could we find to get that rato with that trick quick change. If any of you guys would like to come and play with us and our toy cars come on. By the way the 750 cc suzucki was considered a boat ancor in mini sprints many years ago and our track times are usually as fast or faster than the sprint cars we share race dates with.
Ambrose93&39 (Offline)
  #40 7/17/11 1:30 PM
So somebody tell me why (other than it's in the rules) TQers won't even consider the possibility of bringing back chain drive? The simplicity and the lower cost alone should be enough to want to run chain drive! There's nothing hard about it, take the motor out of the bike and put it in the car as is!
Closed Thread