IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Little 500 Question
5/23/19, 10:31 PM   #1
Little 500 Question
Bill84

Race Count This Year: 17
Race Count Last Year: 13

I've always wanted to go, but never have. Watching qualifying, it appears that there are V6 powered cars in attendance. It also appears that one of the V6 cars may have won the pole. My question is, how are the rules structured for the V6 cars, that allow them to be competitive with the V8's? Is it a cubic inch rule, weight rule, gearing rule, or something else. Just curious. Thanks!

Bill

5/23/19, 11:00 PM   #2
Re: Little 500 Question
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I think it's weight but don't quote me on that. I do know some of the V-6s can go a whole 250 laps on a tank but the rules require two pit stops. Kody Swanson, who got the pole actually was about 250 laps on his tires after halfway when he spun, lost a lap on the pit stop, made up the lap and won the race last year..

Especially late in the race, You can hear his car and his car alone and he hits his marks to perfection. The motor they are using is also left-handed rotation. He seems to be able to go high and cut down a little better. However several car are very good and often dominate at different points in the race.

So many different things go into winning this one. Pit stops, tire wear etc. Two years ago Bobby Santo's III came from a lap down to second? in the last fifty laps and if there'd been another 20 he'd of probably won. Last year Hamilton was dominating the mid part of the race and then you could hear the motor coming apart for ten lap before he retired.

It's just the weirdest race you'll ever see I think for open wheels. Wasn't a pavement fan, still ain't but this one's unique.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 5/23/19 at 11:03 PM.

3 members like this post: Bostonian, PIT CART, speed bump
5/23/19, 11:15 PM   #3
Checker'd Past

Hey Chuckie, I have seen seventy Little 500's, until you have seen more than me, you'll become an expert. Oh, wait you already must be!

1 member likes this post: aj85racer
5/23/19, 11:29 PM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker'd Past View Post
Hey Chuckie, I have seen seventy Little 500's, until you have seen more than me, you'll become an expert. Oh, wait you already must be!

I never said anything about being a expert and never said anything negative. Im glad you've made all of them. I'll never live to 120 to match your record. I hope you enjoy Saturday. I plan too.

5/24/19, 3:08 AM   #5
hoosierboy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker'd Past View Post
Didn’t know the amount of races you attend improves your intelligence. If you’re such an expert, why didn’t you share any of your knowledge like Charles did? Also, if you’re old enough to attend that many Little 5’s, you’d think you’d be old enough to have a little more common sense not to post something so ignorant.

5/24/19, 8:50 AM   #6
Kendall2020

V-6 cars have been dominate there since the 80’s when Glen Niebel introduced them there. There are no weight breaks. The biggest advantage was they were a lot easier on tires and before changing tires became a must this was a huge advantage and the cars are much faster through the corners. The fuel usage isn’t that much of an advantage these days because you need tires as quick as you need fuel. Gene Nolen and engine builder Bill Tranter have kept these V-6’s as strong as ever. Enjoy the little 5.

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Pat O'Connor Fan, PJ Wright, ROSCO
5/25/19, 1:25 AM   #7
#1jackhewittfan

Race Count This Year: 45

It seems to me the v6 dominated until the track was repaved in the late 90s and now that the pavement is older and slicker again the v6 are superior again do to all the tire spinning from the v8s.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
5/25/19, 7:38 AM   #8
ThePurple73

I have only been a couple times but it seemed the track had great food. Not sure how they dealt with 6 cylinders but they could deal with tenderloins at the time.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
5/25/19, 1:05 PM   #9
racer-x

Me and my girl are heading out for the 2 and a half hour Cruze to Anderson. Had the same seats for 3 years sec G row 13 seats 1 &2.

The weather says maybe a early shower but looking clear tonight. Can’t think of anywhere I would rather be tonight!!

3 members like this post: Kinser11, PIT CART, tirespinner
5/26/19, 10:53 AM   #10
Adolph

Race Count This Year: 27
Race Count Last Year: 27,27,40,28,69

I thought at the time, that Kody spun on purpose to create his own yellow so he would lose less laps getting tires. I think he just drove until he got a flat, and that caused the spin. He had to know he had a tire going down.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Little 500 Question