IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > All-Stars @ Outlaw Motor Speedway on Flo Cancelled
6/9/20, 7:58 PM   #1
All-Stars @ Outlaw Motor Speedway on Flo Cancelled
Jerry Shaw

Due to high winds.

Winston Churchill

1 member likes this post: mlamb
6/9/20, 8:44 PM   #2
mlamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
Due to high winds.
One year I was down at Devils Bowl for a WoO sprint car event. There was likely a 25-30 mph sustained wind that night. During single car qualifying a car going down the backstretch #33 Ron Sauter (I believe was his name) had his wing dislodge sending him off the end of the track into a pit area. Unfortunately there was a loss of life that night b/c of that.
I normally would’ve been...cancelled for high wind? But after seeing what transpired at Devils Bowl that night. I applaud Tony Stewart and All Stars for cancelling and taking people’s health and safety as a priority. Devils Bowl speedway no longer pits cars outside turns 3 & 4 like they once did.

4 members like this post: Dirtfan, JarrettFarms73, PIT CART, wildman92
6/10/20, 5:06 AM   #3
treecitytornado

Hate to hear that happening at Devil's Bowl! Ultimately they used to Pit in the Infield in the 80s. Not sure what year that they pitted where you are referring to. Now they Pit smaller rigs in the Infield & everyone else off of turn 2 & down the backstretch.
Last edited by treecitytornado; 6/10/20 at 5:10 AM.

6/10/20, 5:24 AM   #4
mlamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
Hate to hear that happening at Devil's Bowl! Ultimately they used to Pit in the Infield in the 80s. Not sure what year that they pitted where you are referring to. Now they Pit smaller rigs in the Infield & everyone else off of turn 2 & down the backstretch.
Back when this happened all the sprint cars still pitted in the infield. They pitted sprint cars in the infield in the 90s also. And the stock cars pitted outside 3 & 4. There were still trees off of the backstretch then too. Its been some time ago though.
I looked it happened in March of 96’ JT.
Last edited by mlamb; 6/10/20 at 5:28 AM.

1 member likes this post: treecitytornado
6/10/20, 12:46 PM   #5
Re: All-Stars @ Outlaw Motor Speedway on Flo Cancelled
dsc1600

https://apnews.com/264714eeb7f70c2e7b1665d0b0bb9518

Article describing the incident.

6/10/20, 4:43 PM   #6
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

I can confirm that winds can make wing cars very tricky. Driving into a headwind, you have to try to knock down the outside wall when you get to the corner. With a tailwind you try to hit the infield tire, and find yourself over the cushion. When the wind is gusting, you don't know what to do.

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
6/11/20, 11:59 AM   #7
Midget98

This would have been a great opportunity for the All Star organization to tell all the teams, "tonight we're running without the wings" and have a great show. A couple bar and spring changes would be all that they needed to get it done and still put on a show.

3 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, luckybuc97, mc/rider
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > All-Stars @ Outlaw Motor Speedway on Flo Cancelled