IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > best guess
4/15/20, 5:47 PM   #11
Re: best guess
Spi-nex

All this fuss over something that has so far affected 0.2% of the population of the United States (328 million populous, 641,299 confirmed cases as of 5:30PM April 15th). That is an extraordinary inconsequential number that hardly deserves the classification of a "pandemic."

4/15/20, 6:34 PM   #12
2140rc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spi-nex View Post
All this fuss over something that has so far affected 0.2% of the population of the United States (328 million populous, 641,299 confirmed cases as of 5:30PM April 15th). That is an extraordinary inconsequential number that hardly deserves the classification of a "pandemic."
Per the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) 34,157 Americans died from influenza in 2018-2019 flu season. That included 477 children aged 0 thru 17. No one says a word about flu deaths. I guess we're just used to them and those numbers are acceptable since we do little to stop the spread of flu every winter. Flu shots are only of limited value and some years are nearly worthless.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

4 members like this post: flagboy55, jdull99, Spi-nex, The Old Coyote
4/15/20, 7:29 PM   #13
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
Who is willing to sit in a large group of people many that you do not know in any way? This is a serious communicable disease about which at this time we have limited empirical data. We still have only tested less than 1% percent of the population and there are questions about the validity of the tests, asymptomatic spread and possible reoccurence in those that have survived the virus. This is going to be a long haul. This thing spreads exponentially, it only takes one carrier to to cause incredible damage. As an example are we to believe that none of the 450 Smithfield infected employees in Sioux Falls have had no other social interactions with all kinds of people?
I will.

A car accident could cause more or less harm on the way there and back, and so on and so on...people still drive every day...many do it mixed with alcohol (that can both affect the driving of cars and also their own health, which we dis-regard and live).

Breathing dust in is bad for you...people do it...

Listening to loud exhaust is bad for you...people do it...

Etc, etc
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

3 members like this post: chathamracefan, flagboy55, The Old Coyote
4/16/20, 11:02 AM   #14
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
I will.

A car accident could cause more or less harm on the way there and back, and so on and so on...people still drive every day...many do it mixed with alcohol (that can both affect the driving of cars and also their own health, which we dis-regard and live).

Breathing dust in is bad for you...people do it...

Listening to loud exhaust is bad for you...people do it...

Etc, etc

Please research how communicable disease works. A single car accident does not have the potential to harm others not involved in the accident.

4 members like this post: Brewer 14, erich45, Ken Bonnema, Pitdad
4/16/20, 11:30 AM   #15
dsc1600

The reason it’s so low is because we’ve taken these extraordinary steps.

6 members like this post: captrat, erich45, Ken Bonnema, Pitdad, ronmil, Will Shunk
4/16/20, 12:21 PM   #16
stp6237

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 11

As I said in a previous post I will be shocked if we have racing here in PA before June 15th. Governor Wolf closed ALL schools in PA for the year and there are areas on PA that have very low infection rates. The idea with all of the restrictions is so the health care providers will not be over stressed with a surge of new cases. The normal flu does kill a lot of people each year, but with flu shots and known treatment the loss is greatly reduced. Every day here in the Philadelphia area people are reminded that by following the guide lines the rates of infection have been slowed and without these restriction it would be much worse. Keep in mind there are more and more people getting infected every day, until there is a 0% increase, not zero infections, the restrictions will be in place. I am 72, and check off three other factors that put me at risk. I think when the restrictions are lifted, I will sit out a few to see how it goes. I am still looking to get to Indy in August, would love to see Indy cars in Iowa and hit Knoxville in end of July, but anything before Indy I will treat as a bonus. Be safe, stay safe and make good choices.

4 members like this post: erich45, i love dirt track racing, Ken Bonnema, PAW
4/16/20, 12:34 PM   #17
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
Please research how communicable disease works. A single car accident does not have the potential to harm others not involved in the accident.
My research includes an understanding of "Herd immunity" (& I blv/agree with the 1st two posts on this very page); and I just don't see us getting back to an operating country if we are going to wait until the #s are at 0. As long as the local hospitals aren't full, I think we should get back to business (in those regions). Dedicating 12hours a day to audio radio/tv news/editorial, my answer remains unchanged. When my local track opens I will be there.

Now, do I necessarily think "points" racing should start soon? Maybe not (so those that are not comfortable being out, do not "have" to be); but maybe some soft openings with specials/even exhibition type events at 1st. Get some of the staff working (maybe NOT even the concession workers and beer sellers yet, either), sell some race parts/tires/fuel, all the people behind the scenes...(engine builders, chassis companies, etc)

Tracks will have a battle on their hands, with local governments and the people against them running their business. I offer my full support (and have lost $ myself because of this delay) and would think the racing community (the drivers especially, known for taking chances, braving risks), would rally up to get back to what they love to do (and many make $ off of). People in some states are beginning to fight/protest!
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
Last edited by jdull99; 4/16/20 at 12:37 PM.

1 member likes this post: opnwhlmnd
4/16/20, 1:00 PM   #18
racefan20

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

1 member likes this post: jmketcham
4/16/20, 1:26 PM   #19
motorhead748

I would.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
4/16/20, 2:26 PM   #20
PJ Wright

My father gave me lots of great advice, some of which I actually followed. He frequently told me to "live until you die". Some people understand the huge difference between "living" and simply "not dying". Those that don't probably should stay quarantined until an 'expert' gives them permission to step outside. I would never purposely jump off a cliff but I refuse to be to scared to look over the edge. Now to answer the original question: Because there are so many people content with "not dying", I don't think any of us fans will be able to see a race in person until 2021 at the earliest.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

5 members like this post: billw, duel, flagboy55, motorhead748, wallbanger II
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > best guess