IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo winged races
6/4/22, 6:18 PM   #11
Re: Kokomo winged races
ossuks

I agree there were only 30 plus sprints last night at the WOO race and at least 5% of the seats empty, ASCOC only had 40 cars and there were a few seats open, only about 5000 bought tickets,Williams Grove had less than 9000 fans and less than 50 sprints for a weekly show.

3 members like this post: TBONE, tirespinner, TNRustler
6/5/22, 10:57 PM   #12
JDavis#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
In terms of support. Non-Wing racing has always been big in Indiana. I think the All-Stars & the Outlaws (wing) racing have a niche here only racing in the state a few times a year. I like the 305 group here in Indiana. I think their races are good and most nights they bring a decent field with them.

Here is a good question to see what everyone thinks?

LET'S USE KOKOMO SPEEDWAY FOR EXAMPLE.

When the 410 Wing Sprints race at Kokomo are the grandstands just as packed and crowded as they are for the Kokomo Sprint Car Smackdown?

If Kokomo raced Wing-Sprints weekly would there be as many fans in the grandstands as there would be for Non-Wing shows?

I have been to the Saturday portion of the Smackdown twice and that show to me is well attended by the fans just like an outlaw or all-star race.

I'm curious to know what other people think as well.
Circle City tried to run a weekly wing program last year. It did not work. They couldn't get a decent car count. They even contacted several non wing teams, ourselves included, to ask why we would not put on a wing and come race. Our answer was, we only have non wing cars and no wings to bolt on because we don't care to run wing cars. Then they asked if we would support them if they ran non wing. Well most certainly, except they switched to Sunday nights, and I have to be at work at 9:30 Sunday evening, so that doesn't work for us either.https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/ima...thumbsdown.gif

5 members like this post: addictedtodirt, jdull99, nathans1012, oppweld, tirespinner
6/6/22, 4:53 PM   #13
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
Smthn not political if you are goin to post "Let's try to focus on racing here and not ********"...
Perhaps he posted that because of your blatant history of introducing ******** into this forum. I made that mistake, and have refrained because I enjoy this site for the racing subject matter. There are lots of sites devoted to ********, obviously given the title of this one it is not one of those.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, The Prodigy, tirespinner
6/6/22, 5:18 PM   #14
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Back to the original post. LBurg and Haubstadt took their promotion in house Have dates that work for them and is more often than not a success.. It's a risky move with close too if not more a hundred grand for purse sanction and guaranteed promotion $$ Before Webb many tracks had committed All star dates. some two a year.

Recently the other races held were done by a promotion company leasing the tracks, Kokomo or Bloomington. Not sure what this price was to lease the tracks but they have all that $$$ in purse, sanction etc to pay on top of it, get none of the concession $ so it's all on ticket and pit pass sales and it's either successful or not.

I imagine it is. But maybe not as successful as tracks that can draw and seat more people than what we have. Also maybe once every three to five years or so.

6/6/22, 7:34 PM   #15
BrentTFunk

As far as the wing shows at Kokomo recently, the track was rented to someone else. I was told by someone close to the promotional team, that the Outlaws didn't want to come back. Not sure why. As far the All Stars go, my guess is they were not profitable. My guess is they were probably a year away from being profitable, as the All Stars seemed to be on the rise.

2 members like this post: JarrettFarms73, tirespinner
6/6/22, 8:07 PM   #16
dsc1600

I read somewhere it was a safety issue. I’m not a driver obviously and tend not to judge them for those things as they are the ones risking their lives. However I don’t know why Kokomo is considered dangerous if that’s the reason why they didn’t want to come back.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
6/6/22, 8:16 PM   #17
flagboy55

The great thing about it is, as long as we have Smackdown and Sprint Week, I really don’t care if they come back

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Pancho Stapp, tirespinner
6/6/22, 8:32 PM   #18
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
I read somewhere it was a safety issue. I’m not a driver obviously and tend not to judge them for those things as they are the ones risking their lives. However I don’t know why Kokomo is considered dangerous if that’s the reason why they didn’t want to come back.
Well the fence isn't good enough for one. Im not knocking it but seen a car go out and a axle come thru it landing near a handicap fan in a wheel chair.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/6/22 at 8:34 PM.

1 member likes this post: Tom23
6/6/22, 9:47 PM   #19
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
The great thing about it is, as long as we have Smackdown and Sprint Week, I really don’t care if they come back
Boom!!! Post of this thread. Well done.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
6/6/22, 10:27 PM   #20
JarrettFarms73

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
As far as the wing shows at Kokomo recently, the track was rented to someone else. I was told by someone close to the promotional team, that the Outlaws didn't want to come back. Not sure why. As far the All Stars go, my guess is they were not profitable. My guess is they were probably a year away from being profitable, as the All Stars seemed to be on the rise.
Speaking of promotional team and Smackdown, i’d like to reiterate my apologies to Josh Spencer from last year. The work he’s done to get more local involvement with one of the greatest dirt tracks in the nation deserves/ deserved more recognition. The thought that businesses should be filling HIS voicemail to be involved rather than he being the one to track down businesses was not articulated very well on my part post Smackdown X. Man, do i wish that one was rephrased from the jump.
Last edited by JarrettFarms73; 6/6/22 at 10:28 PM.

2 members like this post: spicoli, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo winged races