IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > secondary bypass
8/19/14, 6:59 AM   #21
Re: secondary bypass
red70racer

Your're running the exact setup we are with the 3 into 1 and about the same settings, our high speed is lower. I would look at timing, we had our mag move and it sounds like the same issues we had

8/19/14, 10:19 AM   #22
TQ29m

A quick question, did you say your main feed line goes to the shut off valve, then thru the pump? I hope not, good way to destroy a fuel pump, should go thru the pump, then the line from the pump to the barrel valve should contain the shut off, either on the pump, or on the barrel valve, also, the hi-speed sounds really high, I might suggest something closer to 48-56 psi. The thing about hooking all the lines together that bothers me is, one, the fuel doesn't get to de-arieate, it doesn't get cooled by going back to the tank, and if you have a problem like you're having, it's easy to ck, just by looking in the tank. One thing at a time, but it would be easy and quick to ck the timing, make sure it's right, also, if you are using a timing light, make sure it's real bright, you magnets may be getting weak, and in need of re-zapping. Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 8/19/14 at 1:13 PM.

8/19/14, 1:26 PM   #23
jhobbs26

yes, the shutoff valve is between the pump and barrel valve. The high speed set @ 70psi is what Tim Engler told me to set it at, I gave him all my pump flow numbers and he set me up where I should be at on the main and HS.

i'll be firing it up this evening to double check the timing. I set it when I first fired the motor, before I ever took it to the track and haven't checked it since.

Are you saying if the timing light isn't super bright, then the magneto could be getting weak or weak magnets in the timing light?
Last edited by jhobbs26; 8/19/14 at 2:03 PM.

8/19/14, 1:41 PM   #24
Daboy

I believe he is saying if your motor is in time that your magnets in your magneto could be getting weak, and not getting a good strong spark.

8/19/14, 1:50 PM   #25
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daboy View Post
I believe he is saying if your motor is in time that your magnets in your magneto could be getting weak, and not getting a good strong spark.
Yes, the magnets in the magneto. Did you say secondary, and mean h-speed at 70psi? I would think more like 24-30 would be high, for the secondary, unless you're running some kinda awesome pump, like with 3/4 in rotors in it. Bob

8/19/14, 2:02 PM   #26
Daboy

His High Speed is at 70lbs with a 76 pill ( which seems high) and his low speed ( secondary ) is set at 40lbs. Do you have a pill in the low speed or not?

8/19/14, 2:05 PM   #27
jhobbs26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Yes, the magnets in the magneto. Did you say secondary, and mean h-speed at 70psi? I would think more like 24-30 would be high, for the secondary, unless you're running some kinda awesome pump, like with 3/4 in rotors in it. Bob
I went back and fixed it. Highspeed set to 70psi, secondary set to 40psi.

any other home brew ways of testing a mag?

8/19/14, 2:20 PM   #28
Daboy

If you could get a good picture of one of your plugs and post it, I'll bet someone here could tell you allot just from that. There are some knowledgeable folks on here.

Or better yet pack up your fuel system and send it to Mark Burch Motorsports to have it flowed. I think it is like $125.00 to flow your complete fuel system.

http://www.markburchmotorsports.com/parts/topics2.asp
Last edited by Daboy; 8/19/14 at 3:51 PM.

8/21/14, 10:35 AM   #29
jhobbs26

ran a leak down test last night, all cylinders were around 5%. checking timing, it was 36* where I set it originally.

Right now I'm leaning towards a weak mag. I've got the older style MSD Pro Mag. I talked with BR Motorsports and told them my issues and he believes its probably an ignition issue.

I've got a buddy who's bringing over his msd mag and box tonight to stab in so I can get mine sent in for rebuild.

Fingers crossed this is it

1 member likes this post: Daboy
8/21/14, 5:17 PM   #30
Brat47

You should give Daryl Saucier at DSR Fuel Systems a call 317-490-3410. I am sure he can help you with all your settings and get you going in the right direction.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > secondary bypass