IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > secondary bypass
8/7/14, 9:00 AM   #11
Re: secondary bypass

Are you flushing your tank and lines out with gasoline, by chance? That will eat up and destroy most alcohol bladders. I believe that is starting to change now as they are making them for E85 and other blends, but I wouldn't chance it.

8/8/14, 4:28 AM   #12
jhobbs26

no I just flushed with the garden hose and let it air dry.

8/9/14, 12:03 PM   #13
TQ29m

Think on this a while, alcohol is about as dry as anything you can put in your engine, therefore it tends to eat rings, makes them wear faster, as well as the bores, I've used about all the upper lubes on the market, and Klotz Uplon gives me the best results, very little to no ring wear, no need to flush before you leave the track, it lubes the valve stems, and it also helps seal the rings, giving a more constant compression while the engine is working, and the small amount used will not reduce the burn rate of the alcohol, in most cases, it will increase it, me, I'm gonna continue using it, as I have ever since it was introduced, back in the 70's, it also lubes the fuel pump, which makes it last longer, I just fail to see what a little lubricant can hurt a highly stressed engine, and related parts, fittings and etc. Do this, don't buy any, just read the information on the bottle, and make your own decisions! Bob

1 member likes this post: DAD
8/9/14, 8:52 PM   #14
chadyracing

Check your rules. If you are running ASCS, additives are not allowed.

8/18/14, 2:18 PM   #15
jhobbs26

Update.....
raced again Saturday night. Had the barrel valve set to 18%, HS set to 72psi w/76 pill, 72 main jet, secondary set to 40psi.

ran 6 laps in hotlaps, came in motor temp was 170, tach showed 7700rpm and the motor felt like it was a dog.

Changed from a 6.18 gear to 6.54 gear, leaned the HS out to 70psi. Heat race time track was still tacky pretty much running WFO for 6 laps. Motor still felt like a dog, water temp showed 190* tach showed 7800. It did have a hesitation on the start.

This is where I'm lost. changing to a lower gear that much should have made some kind of difference in RPMs.

For the Feature, I blocked off the secondary and unhooked the tach. No change in how it ran. Water temp after 15 green flag laps was 180*

I'm thinking the barrel valve is a little lean causing the hesitation/vibration on the starts, but there has to be something else going on, with either the motor, injection, or ignition. Everyone watching says my motor sounds doggy compared to everyone else also.

Also, this was a used motor when I got it. I've got the specs and etc with it, but its pretty much like any used motor, you just have to trust the guy your buying it from.
Last edited by jhobbs26; 8/18/14 at 2:30 PM.

8/18/14, 5:51 PM   #16
TQ29m

Couple of things, timing and leakdown. How is your oil looking? How is your inj plumbed, 2 return lines, or none, all just circulating under the hood? With out the secondary you may have to trail brake on starts, or restarts. Barrel valve sounds a bit hi. Was that set with the shutters sitting on .002 shim stock, I guess that is more than a couple. Another thing, with the engine running, look in the tank, if you have at least 2 lines running back, you should have fuel running out of only one, the main bypass, any other fuel returning means a bypass either stuck or leaking. Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 8/18/14 at 7:22 PM. Reason: add

8/18/14, 7:25 PM   #17
badcoupe

Run a leak down test on the engine itself. Also check the percentage on the barrel valve with a leak down tester. Yu may need to lean on it some

8/18/14, 8:54 PM   #18
jhobbs26

engler injectors set at .002. Tim told me to set the barrel valve between 18-20%. I'm at 18%. Waterman ultra light pump that is fresh from rebuild by Waterman. Feed line goes to shut off valve then on to top side of barrel valve. Secondary, main and high speed all feed into 3 into 1 block with 1 #8 line going into tank. I'll do a leak down on the motor this week, it only had 12 shows on it since new when I got it.

8/18/14, 9:20 PM   #19
TQ29m

Main should be by itself, with the pill holder as near the tank as possible, hi speed should be by itself also, but the secondary can be installed in the same return line, behind it. Bob

8/18/14, 10:53 PM   #20
jhobbs26

this is what i've got. http://www.brmotorsports.com/injecto...nmanifold.aspx

The block is mounted on the upright bar beside the seat. Main, high speed secondary are all right beside the seat.

This was the way the car came when i picked it up.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > secondary bypass