IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > secondary bypass
8/5/14, 4:24 PM   #1
secondary bypass
jhobbs26

i have a hilborn brass bypass that stuck open on me last weekend. It has 3 races on it since it was brand new. What would cause it to stick, or is it just the nature of these cheaper bypasses?

8/5/14, 6:22 PM   #2
Re: secondary bypass
stoney

248-3621145

8/5/14, 7:26 PM   #3
badcoupe

Biggest thing is making sure that your fuel sytem is exceptionally clean it doesn't take much to stick a by a bypass open.

8/5/14, 8:27 PM   #4
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhobbs26 View Post
i have a hilborn brass bypass that stuck open on me last weekend. It has 3 races on it since it was brand new. What would cause it to stick, or is it just the nature of these cheaper bypasses?
I wouldn't class it as "one of the cheaper" bypasses, if it is cleaned properly, and not allowed to sit for long periods of time with alcohol in it, it should be as reliable as any, the aluminum ones are the ones that give the most trouble. Good money spent on an alcohol hydrometer, so you can ck the water content of your fuel, and the use of a good alcohol upper lube, like Klotz Uplon. I'd venture a guess at one of the other, either no upper lube, or bad fuel. What was this being used on? Bob

1 member likes this post: Hurryinhoosier
8/6/14, 4:26 AM   #5
jhobbs26

ascs car, I rarely use upper lube, guess i'll have to pick some up to put in the new barrel I have. One thing I noticed when I pulled the secondary out the fuel came out with a yellow tint to it.. When I pulled the main apart it was clean and clear.

This car is new to me. switched from modifieds to sprints, and got this car turn key. We pulled the tank and washed it out, flushed all the lines, std stainless steel filter before the pump and a waterman filter before the barrel valve. The fuel line for the secondary is all brand new, the car did not come plumbed with a secondary so I added it. I wouldn't think the fuel line would be causing it to turn yellow?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Black-...6-AN,8976.html This is what I used, says its compatible with alcohol.

8/6/14, 10:38 AM   #6
TQ29m

First off, I'd get a couple of quarts of Klotz Uplon, 1 qt will do a barrel of fuel. The condition of the fuel in the secondary tells me a couple things, hi water content fuel, or, since you've ran it 3 times, and the fuel in it has that color to it, it either isn't working, or it's set too hi. I don't run a secondary, and I know a lot of folks who don't, you'd be surprised by all the changes that are made to a Hilborn, and it work properly, like running the hi-speed off the barrel valve, instead of the secondary, which for all intents and purposes is what I'm doing, I know some who only run the primary, with the pill in it, some of this depends on which pump you have, and how well you understand how things work. I've found that a call to Hilborn once in a while, helps, they know about everything that has been tried, and so far, they've been a big help to me. Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask, get your fuel ck'd, and get some Uplon.BTW, evidently the previous owner wasn't running a secondary, idle bypass I call it, either, you can set the idle fuel off the barrel valve, they have the "how too" on their website, works pretty good, at least it stops the lag you sometimes get, running a sec that isn't set right, or only partially working. Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 8/6/14 at 11:01 AM. Reason: add

8/6/14, 12:20 PM   #7
badcoupe

You could have had a piece of debris from cutting and making the new line that stuck it

8/6/14, 5:35 PM   #8
jhobbs26

i've got engler injectors, and I've been on the phone with Tim quite a bit. Everything is set where Tim told me. I'm thinking it must have been some debris that stuck it open. The pump was sent back to waterman and rebuilt after I got the car, and I put a new diaphragm in the highspeed. Fuel system components are 100%.

I didn't have the pre barrel valve filter installed and plugged the nozzles up with trash, that's when we pulled the complete system apart and flushed everything and installed the waterman filter. That was all before the first race. Havent had any issues since, until this past weekends 2 day show. I've got a couple weeks before the next race so I'm going back through all of it.

I was just checking to see if there should be normal maintenance taken on the secondary or any of the other components weekly, other than flushing the fuel out of it if its going to sit for a few weeks.

8/6/14, 10:58 PM   #9
treecitytornado

Many engine builders don't recommend running top lube in high compression Sprint Car engines! You need the fuel as hot as it can get and as pure! As far as the secondary, get rid of the Hilborn poppet type and use a Kinsler diaphram type like you would for your Hi-Speed. We use the regular Kinsler on the secondary and an IRL on the Hi Speed with good methanol and no top lube and have zero problems!

1 member likes this post: hossholliday15
8/7/14, 8:37 AM   #10
mini27

After you make new fuel lines its always a good idea to blow the lines out before putting them on the car.

1 member likes this post: midget39
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > secondary bypass