IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Race classes (OT)
4/28/16, 10:15 PM   #1
Race classes (OT)
openwheelfan1

Where will it end? Down here where I live in Western Kentucky, the 3 tracks closest to me have just added 305 Racesaver sprints. That's great, but at Paducah International Raceway, that makes the 10th class they run. At Clarksville TN, the Racesaver sprints will make the 11th class. And at Western Kentucky Speedway the Racesaver sprints will be the 9th class they run. Believe me, I understand they are paying the purse with the back gate, but really, 10 classes?

4 members like this post: jdull99, Jesse B, jim goerge, oldfan49
4/29/16, 8:37 AM   #2
Re: Race classes (OT)
Backitin

I don't think this is off topic, it's a good point. 10 classes is at least 5 too many.
I always thought that you dilute your own field if you give too many options. You need three classes. Inexpensive beginners class a mid level class that ties in with you premier class and of course the headliners.
By far the best racing I ever saw had only two classes. Big Block modifieds and a small block sportsman class.

2 members like this post: jdull99, Jesse B
4/29/16, 8:52 AM   #3
kcarm92

Really if program is run right and on time 4 class's is ideal gives everyone a chance to get cars ready for b or a main but tracks that run 8_10 class of cars either dont have rules or wint enforce them so they just add another class instead of building on what they have jmo

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, jdull99, Jesse B, jim goerge
4/29/16, 10:01 AM   #4
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

There's (2) kinds of local race tracks. #1 attempts to present racing as entertainment and put on a "show". #2 has very few fans and needs to bring as many competitors through the back gate as possible.

you'll rarely see Knoxville, Eldora, Charlotte, Kokomo . . . . with more than 3 classes.

Also, this is one of the reasons the World of Outlaws continue to have record crowds. You pay to see the top dogs race, not watch puppies spin out.

Rich M

3 members like this post: jdull99, PIT CART, sjracer26
4/29/16, 10:08 AM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I thought support classes and entry classes were supposed to breed more upper class racers. I've seen this with Mods, Karts,Quarters and Mini's.

In the case of 360-305, and other cost control sprints. I've honestly seen more DOWNWARD movement than up, IDK Maybe it keeps a existing racer racing. But the 410 ranks are dwindling yearly. And now sometimes Six tracks within 200 miles of Indy want to run em on SATURDAY night. Its the same with LM's Its hard to find a weekly show that can get a full field of super lates.

Why? IMHO there are enough and sometimes more 360 sprint and mod races paying 5k + Not just because the classes exist.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 4/29/16 at 10:11 AM.

2 members like this post: jdull99, kcarm92
4/29/16, 11:29 AM   #6
captrat

There are lots of reasons why sprint car racing continues to not prosper, but for sure the continual dividing up of the sport via too many classes, too many competing tracks in close proximity contribute to the identity crisis of our sport. This in turn means fewer fans for the future and does not bode well.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, jdull99, jim goerge
4/29/16, 1:33 PM   #7
openwheelfan1

The tracks down here are running 4-5 classes of stock cars (LM's, Crate LM's, Street Stocks, Bombers, and FWD Stocks) 2-3 classes of Modifieds (Modifieds, B-Mods, and Mod Lights) and then one or two Jr. classes, such as mini sprints or outlaw winged carts. The unfortunate thing is that car counts are very poor. Thus far this year (and I know, its early!) the Modifieds are averaging about 16-18 cars/event, while the rest of the classes are averaging less than 10, with some less than 5. While I would love to see the Racesaver Sprints succeed down here, I will be surprised if they do.

2 members like this post: jdull99, jim goerge
4/29/16, 11:46 PM   #8
tim kelley

What track are the race savers sprint competing at in your area .

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Race classes (OT)