IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smackdown Thoughts
8/30/20, 9:32 AM   #11
Re: Smackdown Thoughts
jonboat15

This is straying a bit, but what are the major differences between the BOSS cars versus the USAC cars.
About the races, I watched on flo and loved them. Kyle Cummins is a badass. How many non wing teams use a Mach 1 chassis like he does? I was happy to see a part timer still get the job done at the end of the day.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Wingman
8/30/20, 10:01 AM   #12
TQ97

The major difference between the BOSS cars and the USAC cars is $.

Why someone would choose to run BOSS last night comes down to common sense and $. For young guys needing seat time, or to build confidence, better chance at getting into the main with BOSS. For a guy like Westfall who won the BOSS race and $1500, I think he’d have to finish 3rd or 4th in the USAC race to make that much.

Edit- due to the increased USAC purse last night 5th paid $1500, it was $1000 to start and $150 for non transfers.
Last edited by TQ97; 8/30/20 at 11:56 AM.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, racefan20
8/30/20, 1:59 PM   #13
Stealth87

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
Bill Balog, is strutting his stuff as an IRA & Winged Regular!! Kyle Cummins, has proven time after time of his abilities & talents! It will be hard to beat Kyle tonight for the $11 Grand!!
I'm from Wisconsin and get to see Balog run on a very regular basis. He's a very under rated wheel man for sure. I knew he would open some eyes at Smackdown after I found out he was heading down. I can tell you that he was having an absolute blast in Kokomo and wished he could stick around for the finale last night. Unfortunately, due sponsorship responsibilities he had to head back to Wisconsin to run with the IRA. He's one of those guys that loves competition, learning new disciplines and figuring out new kinds of race cars. If I were a betting man, I would put money on Indiana seeing a little bit more of him in the future

8/30/20, 2:16 PM   #14
FALCONEDDIE

We watched Smackdown on Floracing from Florida. They did an outstanding job for all three nights. I do think Boss cars make the show a little too long. Not bad though sitting on comfortable couch watching it, LOL. Hats off to the Oconner family for the great job as always.

2 members like this post: interpreter66, oppweld
8/30/20, 3:04 PM   #15
flagboy55

Stealth, I certainly agree. Dude can flat wheel. Great to see him at Kokomo. Another great Smackdown. Next year will be number 10. Time to start lobbying sponsors to step up the game with 20k to win and 2k to start next year. If it doesn’t interfere with a local show

8/31/20, 10:09 PM   #16
yeleyfan76

Smackdown IX was a great weekend. Seeing old friends, and making new ones is always part of this event. So good talk with different people from all over the country. Missed out on seeing a few due to virus issues. Next year is number ten and should be special for sure. It also should start the tradition of paying a large number for the years to follow.
Without a doubt the O’Conners work their butts off to put on this event year after year. The profits were probably lower than normal years due to less people in the stands. With that said, they overcame 2 plus inches of rain Friday afternoon and provided us a racetrack when it’s fair to say many others would have cancelled. Truly a remarkable effort, the pits were sketchy but everyone made it through.
I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t ready for next year already. It truly is the best wknd in sprint car racing! For those who were there it was a great time. For those who couldn’t make it, I’m sure you know what you missed and wanted to be there. Flagboy I’ll catch up with ya for that Scottish Ale someday. The ten hour ride on Sunday is usually a long one but when thinking about all that was good about the three days prior it wasn’t quite so bad. Again thx to Kokomo Speedway and can’t wait to do it all over again.

9/1/20, 4:29 AM   #17
Hubie

Smackdown is a great event, and this years running, even without a huge crowd, was a blast just the same.

I agree with those about Bill Balog, I had never heard of the guy and he flat got my attention. If he could find a car owner he might be well served to come down to the Hoosier State and get some keen racing action at our various club tracks (Kokomo, Lawerenceburg, Putnumville to name three) I suppose the BOSS stuff pays well and he is running inside what his budget allows. He was fun to watch. I love it when someone whos name I have only seen in box scores shows up and represents themselves. Thanks Bill Balog!

Kyle Cummings. Is this guy ready to be a marquee star within the USAC Club? 100%!!! No bells, no whistles, Kyle just flat stands on the gas and is on point whenever the green flag drops. I love the fact he was in a well turned out Midget and also in a Silver Crown car. I think if Cummings wants to be a star, the only thing holding him back are personal issues. Racing is hard on the home life and I know he has a child on the way. Kyle Cummings is a class act from A to Z, and a Champion Driver.

Congrats to Tyler Courtney and all at Topp Motorsports. Saturday night driving ability and the car were one. Tyler's car got traction everytime he asked for it, and he motored away! Pretty Cool!

This virus is the pits, I hope America can get on top of it soon and we can all resume our normal lives.

9/1/20, 12:40 PM   #18
Will Shunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONEDDIE View Post
We watched Smackdown on Floracing from Florida. They did an outstanding job for all three nights. I do think Boss cars make the show a little too long. Not bad though sitting on comfortable couch watching it, LOL. Hats off to the Oconner family for the great job as always.
Do people on this board really think that having 40 BOSS sprints racing on Indiana's Baddest Bullring giving us an additional 4 heat races and 2 "B" main events for non wing sprints is a little much. I recall the wrecker crews cleaning up multiple USAC crashes going for the gold. TOO LONG??? Are you KIDDING ME! The BOSS addition to Saturday night is the best thing to happen by throwing a bone to the weekend warrior racer while growing the non wing sprint car ranks. Kokomo Speedway is awesome for any non wing sprint car action. As someone who has attended ALL 9 Smackdowns, the O'Connor's, USAC, and BOSS have a great product to continue to grow. It can always be tweaked and improved, but for one weekend out of the season, I thank you for not having tin tops, fenders, or lower division open wheelers. KEEP the Smackdown all 410, non wing sprint cars.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smackdown Thoughts