IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Joe Spiker runs Putnamville now
7/3/09, 3:12 PM   #41
Re: Joe Spiker runs Putnamville now
Redwood17257

Wow, big things afoot for July 4. Should mean that everyone will be at the drivers' meeting for a change tomorrow! Hate to see the track closed for a couple of weeks in the middle of the summer, but I guess if its necessary

7/3/09, 3:13 PM   #42
Haulerin2deep

First of all good luck Billy, I hope you do get all three. I guess as one of the "ILLINOIS" Indiana open wheel guys I am pretty pissed off by the fact that Joe Spiker would just dump all of the people who have supported him while he was getting going at VCS in the sprint car division. Just a couple of weeks ago I sat on my fourwheeler talking to Joe complimenting him on how hard he and his crew had worked and what a good job they had done getting sprint cars going again at DAnville. I feel like he got what he wanted(which we all knew he wanted P-ville) and to hell with all of us.
Again we have not heard anything official from Joe so this could be all for nothing but We all know DO is kind of his wing man on this project so I am not doubting DO. I am happy for all of you Putnamville fans lord knows how good of news this has got to be for you, but it really stinks for people who can't make the extra 75 miles with work and the time change. Besides we were told we were running the whole year for a nice point fund and a championship.
I would like to see something official but I guess if this is all true (rain permitting) Haubstadt just got another sprint car tomorrow night. Why would I support someone who is dropping me.??

7/3/09, 3:14 PM   #43
terrehautian

Is DA in charge of any tracks anymore? If so, feel sorry of the fans of those tracks.

7/3/09, 3:20 PM   #44
D.O.

Have you watched the road at VCS after the sprints finsh???? How many people leave afterwards. Not many!!!!! That is proof that most fans aren't there for the sprints. 400 to 500 are normally in the stands at the end of the night watching Tin.
Why pizz off *** & Gas City. Do that and forget about a Sprintweek or KISS date !
I do expect VCS to run some special sprint events still. Maye a Sunday night that Kokomo is off???

As with all good news, somebody doesn't like something about it and that is fine. I'm sure everybodys thoughts will get read by the people who are spending their money to do this.

This is day one of big news. You might want to listen Monday as we will have maybe even more breaking news about LPS. All of the Spiker Promotions will be there along with USAC and Bill Gardner. K.O. is taking a night off due to his work schedule and I'm sure there will be something cooked up by then we will be talking about.

Just think you might be able to take a shitz at LPS wihout having to drive to the nearest gas station !!!!!

Until today LPS was a bad word in racing. We will have a special Racin' with D.O. show LIVE from LPS just before Joe Spiker reopens to racing.

7 pm www.racinwithdo.com or come to Kelly's Monday. You won't want to miss this one !!!

R.I.P. Bill Hopton

Chad I understand your frustration, Joe has worked on this for a while and now he has to figure out how to make it happen and TRY to keep all happy. I would suggest coming to VCS and listen to what Joe has to say. He will be at LPS for the drivers meeting then off to VCS. Besides how many more miles is Haubstadt for you?

I think DA only has North Vernon that Fleetwoods run.

The immediate plan is for racing to continue at the Vermilion County Speedway; however they are looking to make some changes in the remainder schedule. Spiker went on to say "I have a contract through 2010 with a one year option at VCS. The 2010 schedule is under discussion. The only decision made is that we will not be racing on Saturday nights next year at VCS".
Last edited by D.O.; 7/3/09 at 4:38 PM.

7/3/09, 3:56 PM   #45
blk47

we at spiker promotions are very excited and happy to be taking over LPS ,however this things take time so please be patient and we will keep everyone informed of changes as we make them. Thanks to everyone for there intrest
curt leonard

7/3/09, 4:08 PM   #46
Roger Hughes

Spiker Promotions acquire Lincoln Park Speedway

Joe Spiker Promotions President, Joe Spiker, announced today that his company has secured a lease/purchase agreement with Dave Allison for the Lincoln Park Speedway in Putnamville, Indiana. Spiker stated "I took possession on Tuesday, June 30th. I will be at the Lincoln Park Speedway drivers' meeting on Saturday to inform the drivers what will happen over the next few weeks."

Spiker grew up in the shadow of the Lincoln Park Speedway in nearby Greencastle, some ten minutes from his home. "The only thing that could change the course at VCS (Vermilion County Speedway) happened. I got involved at VCS because of wanting to buy Lincoln Park.

“Track owner Dave Allison and I had talked back and forth about buying the track. I had asked him on several occasions, but the answer was always no" said Spiker. Spiker was so convinced that he would not be able to buy Lincoln Park, that he looked for the closest track to him and Vermilion County Speedway in Danville, Illinois was it.

Spiker and his group have spent hundreds of man hours and Spiker's personal investment is over $70,000. Spiker stated "I love the Vermilion County Speedway, but it will always be a rental. When I had the chance to purchase Lincoln Park Speedway, I had to do it".

Lincoln Park Speedway, who races on Saturday nights may be dark a couple of weeks for cleaning and repairs. "I want to clean the place up and get it ready to race".

The immediate plan is for racing to continue at the Vermilion County Speedway; however they are looking to make some changes in the remainder schedule. Spiker went on to say "I have a contract through 2010 with a one year option at VCS. The 2010 schedule is under discussion. The only decision made is that we will not be racing on Saturday nights next year at VCS".

Spiker Promotions have built a solid base of fans and race cars plus did a face lift at VCS. Spiker's final statement was "The sudden events are very taxing and time consuming. We want to do justice to both speedways. I hope our sponsors, participants, and dedicated fans will be patient with us during this transition period".

Updated information will be made available on the two speedways websites. Vermilioncountyspeedway.com and lincolnparkspeedway.com
###

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

The entire interview with Joe Spiker is available on racefanradio.com. Go to On Demand then to On Track On Radio for interview with Joe Spiker.

7/3/09, 4:34 PM   #47
T&A Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRT-TRACK-JUNKIE View Post
VCS was coming on good with the sprints so that does suck for them, Puterbaugh Jr. you just want to try to win 3 track championships in the same year. It wont happen though.
OMG, give me a break.

Part of that may be true. Can't blame him for trying.

However, those of you in Indy and south have multiple choices to go on Friday and Saturday. I think north of indy is limited relative to all things related to travel.

Having another Sunday night track would only hurt everyone. I am not sure enough people that never run sundays would suddenly start if something closer ran. Maybe a few, and lose a few from Kokomo. Everyone would lose.

Saturdays options are unlimited and car counts and quality are fair these days. Many sprinters prefer to run Saturdays at the different tracks. This is a whole different thing than sprinters willing to run another night (Sunday).

I used to love going to LPS. For the most part the closest Sat. option for me (about 2 hours), but I stopped going for much of the same reason many closer stopped going.

True business is business and it is survival of the strongest, but he is trying to not step on toes and do things for the good of the sport.
Last edited by T&A Racing; 7/3/09 at 4:52 PM.

7/3/09, 4:46 PM   #48
Haulerin2deep

DO, I get it. that does not mean I am happy about it. I am very happy that Putnamville is now under Spiker management. I know they will do a great job turning it around. Unfortunately it just sucks for me and the people I run with. I understand why they are doing it, I would too if I were in there situation. Does not mean I have to like it. Guess I will just get to do a bit more traveling.

I would like them to at least finish out the season at VCS with the sprints but perhaps that is just wishful thinking. The good news is that sprint car racers and fans have a management team investing in the future of local tracks.

7/3/09, 4:53 PM   #49
D.O.

These are key words of the release -

7/3/09, 4:59 PM   #50
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

I do feel though that if they are no longer going to run sprints at VCS then they should increase the payout for the mods and other divisions as well. Since the mods are going to end up being there premier class, why not pay them like it.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Joe Spiker runs Putnamville now