IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Double D"s ride in USAC?
4/21/19, 9:29 PM   #51
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7horse View Post
Love all the old people on here that think they are cool cuz they know how to use a smartphone
You just confirmed my suspicion that you might be someone who's youth, lack of perspective, or experience are beyond their ability. Just sit back for awhile and absorb some wisdom from elders. You might learn to temper your unsubstantied opinion. If not troll on, but buy a ticket to a race.

4/21/19, 9:43 PM   #52
flagboy55

I guess something on this thread led me to believe that 7horse is a young person, I may be wrong. While I don’t agree with everything he posts, if he is indeed a youngster, then I’m glad he’s paying some kind of attention. I would say it’s up to those of us who truly believe in our sport to help him see the virtues without running him off. And I know we’ve been through this all before but I think it needs repeating. To me, it’s clear how much the endorsement of some of our graduates, Stewart, Larson, Kahne, means to short track racing, specifically the WOO. I always say that their excellence in USAC is most responsible for getting them to the next level, yet you rarely hear them endorsing it outside of the chili bowl, which isn’t even USAC. They talk about their dirt track roots, but do little to help build up the club that was arguably their biggest stepping stone. I don’t get it

4/21/19, 9:49 PM   #53
Re: Double D"s ride in USAC?
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

7horse some of us old people worked for the companies that developed and put the technology in space and cell towers so you can use your smartphone!
Last edited by davidm; 4/21/19 at 9:51 PM.

4/21/19, 10:14 PM   #54
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
I guess something on this thread led me to believe that 7horse is a young person, I may be wrong. While I don’t agree with everything he posts, if he is indeed a youngster, then I’m glad he’s paying some kind of attention. I would say it’s up to those of us who truly believe in our sport to help him see the virtues without running him off. And I know we’ve been through this all before but I think it needs repeating. To me, it’s clear how much the endorsement of some of our graduates, Stewart, Larson, Kahne, means to short track racing, specifically the WOO. I always say that their excellence in USAC is most responsible for getting them to the next level, yet you rarely hear them endorsing it outside of the chili bowl, which isn’t even USAC. They talk about their dirt track roots, but do little to help build up the club that was arguably their biggest stepping stone. I don’t get it
Well said. There must be a reason they all keep a distance from the group based in Speedway.

4/22/19, 11:46 PM   #55
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
True case of, "what have you done for me lately?"

The costs of running USAC have more than outweighed the pros. I have heard top level teams spend anywhere from $100k to $400k chasing the top three levels of the sport we call USAC. You could win every race (90 x $5k = $450k) and barely break even.

DD is literally one of the best drivers to ever run a sprint car and he cannot keep a ride from year to year. We love seeing him at the track but now he often picks on the little guy just trying to race anything given to him. I don't necessarily blame him though because he just wants to race like the rest of us. It's a sunk cost putting money in this sport because it's rare to break even at the end of the year. Atleast WoO and All Stars pay well enough to cover the costs when you finish top 10.

A typical USAC night at the races costs a team:

$300 engine wear
$120 pit passes
$60 methanol
$60 diesel
$60 food
$400 in tires

This equals $900 just to show up without tearing up any equipment. Thats a 5th place finish with USAC on a local night. Double the diesel if you're traveling or if you need a hotel room.

2 members like this post: 2rock21, tirespinner
4/23/19, 6:48 AM   #56
HDINDY

Give the old man credit,he's been doing something he's loved his hole life. Waking up each week and keeping the skill it takes to run up front is God's blessing.Please feel free to stop and give him cash to float his own efforts. Remember this is a great sport to end up with a small fortune.

4/23/19, 10:27 AM   #57
flagboy55

I love when people use food cost as an expense. I get it, because I only get hungry when I’m away from home

4/23/19, 1:01 PM   #58
TQ29m

I always figured it was a good night, if at the end, I could roll my car back into the trailer, and maybe stuff some green backs in my blue jeans, and all I had spent up to that point wasn't something I kept track of, we went, we raced, and we went home knowing we had fun, get it ckd over, a bath, and hopefully go again, and test our luck, at that point I slept well! Bob

4/23/19, 1:57 PM   #59
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT CART View Post
I see a huge number of younger fans at the world 100. I personally don't know what non wing should focus on to bring in the next generation of fans.
I can only speak to the spectator side of the World 100, but having attended more than 20 of them it's clearly evident that it's as much about the party as it is about the racing. Take away the party aspect and the crowd would undoubtedly look significantly different in more ways than one.

4/24/19, 11:29 AM   #60
55fan

For some reason I thought this thread was about Dave Darland. Silly me.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Double D"s ride in USAC?