IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
nathans1012 (Offline)
  #1 1/26/22 1:43 PM
WORLD OF OUTLAWS TO IMPLEMENT FIRE SUPPRESSION SYSTEM IN 2023

Article
https://worldofoutlaws.com/sprintcar...cMztyzO7btfUiY

2024 Season: Race 1 - April 20th Brownstown (Crate LM). Unlike many I don't discriminate on what racing I choose to watch.
Pitdad (Offline)
  #2 1/26/22 2:07 PM
Who will be the first to cross drill his system to lighten it?
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, Gene Franckowiak, interpreter66
Gene Franckowiak (Offline)
  #3 1/26/22 4:19 PM
Back in the 70's sprints had fire supression systems and a guy from New Mexico crashed hard and the bottle exploded and blew off some of his foot.....but at least he wasn't burned
2 Likes: Charles Nungester, chrismattlin
PJ Wright (Offline)
  #4 1/26/22 4:26 PM
Originally Posted by Pitdad:
Who will be the first to cross drill his system to lighten it?
In my opinion, anyone caught compromising any required safety equipment should be suspended for a year. If you think that's harsh go visit a burn center. Or better yet, go talk to Harli White

You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.
6 Likes: BrentTFunk, DaveP63, luckybuc97, mc/rider, Pitdad, racenut69
PJ Wright (Offline)
  #5 1/26/22 4:28 PM
Originally Posted by Gene Franckowiak:
Back in the 70's sprints had fire supression systems and a guy from New Mexico crashed hard and the bottle exploded and blew off some of his foot.....but at least he wasn't burned
You think maybe fire suppression systems have possibly improved in the last 50 years?

You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.
4 Likes: cshuman, progressive22, Scott Daloisio, TQ29m
kinser (Offline)
  #6 1/26/22 5:13 PM
Originally Posted by Gene Franckowiak:
I believe that was Roy Hicks wasn’t it ?
Pitdad (Offline)
  #7 1/26/22 5:27 PM
Originally Posted by PJ Wright:
In my opinion, anyone caught compromising any required safety equipment should be suspended for a year. If you think that's harsh go visit a burn center. Or better yet, go talk to Harli White
Couldn’t agree with you more. And we raced at I-44 with Harli, so we know first hand. That’s why I’m glad we now race at a track owned by firemen.
2 Likes: PJ Wright, Ratso
kendirt (Offline)
  #8 1/26/22 8:33 PM
WoO and Lucas Oil Late Model Series have mandated on-board fire suppression for a while now. The really good thing is that many of the regional series have followed suit. Same with SFI tagged seats and fuel cells.
IndianaSprintFan (Offline)
  #9 1/26/22 10:49 PM
As a casual fan at best what does this do to a race team that doesn’t normally run with WoO. Like the guys that strap a wing on at haubstadt. Is this a major cost or hassle to add or not that big of a deal? * I know it’s a safety feature and some will have negative comments for me calling it a hassle so take the term lightly. I think everyone knows what I mean.
kendirt (Offline)
  #10 1/26/22 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by IndianaSprintFan:
As a casual fan at best what does this do to a race team that doesn’t normally run with WoO. Like the guys that strap a wing on at haubstadt. Is this a major cost or hassle to add or not that big of a deal? * I know it’s a safety feature and some will have negative comments for me calling it a hassle so take the term lightly. I think everyone knows what I mean.
The Late Model system is around $750. I assume the Sprint Car system will be similar in price.

WoO and SFI are going to mandate what the systems consist of. Once the kits are standardized they should be pretty much plug and play.

My take would be that if you can't afford a fire system for your 410 Sprint Car you're in the wrong class.
9 Likes: Blitzman, BrentTFunk, IndianaSprintFan, jdull99, midget39, nitrofunny, PJ Wright, Ratso, rick42