IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Getting To Know IOW Members
3/4/09, 6:49 PM   #11
Re: Getting To Know IOW Members
Butch47265

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Brad Kuhn Fan View Post
This was brought up on another thread and i figured it could be a way to burn time.lol

Theres alot of talking on this bored.But you really dont know who your talking to.I've always wanted to learn more about all the members on the Bored.So here is goes.

MY names Devin Fairchild.Im 16.I went to 69 races last year.Manily Gascity, kokomo, and The Burg. I love racing and i hope to make a living in racing some how.I'm a bowler.I also play baseball.Im so young theres really not much to tell..

Come on iow. Share your story.:thumb
Hi !! My name is Butch Wilkerson I raced at the BURG forever Im 64 ol and I love RACING more than you maybe longer anyway. If your at the BURG some SAT nite look me up ID really like to shake your HAND...:angry-smiley-007::angry-smiley-007::checkered::checkered::checkered::applaud::app laud::applaud::applaud:

3/4/09, 7:01 PM   #12
Midget82

I'm Drew Mortland, 20 Years old. I'm from East Alton, IL (about 30 minutes east of St. Louis). I'm a paid-on-call firefighter and attending Lewis & Clark Comm. College majoring in Fire Science and hope to become a career firefighter somewhere.

A little explanation for my username...
My uncle owned a midget and mostly ran MARA. His had three cars in his time as a car owner. The first was a Harry Turner, second a Jack Rich, third an Edmunds (see my avatar for the first car). He had a few different drivers including former ARCA stock car driver Perry Tripp and Springfield, IL graphic designer/painter Doug Canham.

The Mortland Racing claim to fame is the third place finish in the USAC midget race 8/31/91 at Granite City... The top 5 was: Jack Hewitt, Steve Knepper, Perry Tripp, Donnie Lehmann, Mike Streicher. :respect:

My mom and dad took me to my first race September 4, 1989 - I was 9 months old - for the USAC Silver Crown race at the DuQuoin, Illinois Fairgrounds for the Ted Horn 100. Afterwards, I met Andy Hillenburg and sat in his #85 Champ Car.:thumb I've only missed one champ car race at DuQuoin since I've been alive and it was thanks to a rain-out and re-schedule (the first night race)...I'll never miss another one.

To this day, I still go to races with my dad (and his girlfriend tags along :rolleyes We mostly attend USAC Sprint Car and POWRi Midget shows. My favorite races are the Dirt Miles for Silver Crown and Sprint week is hard to beat. We've met so many great people and have made a ton of friends and it seems like we meet more every year. Hopefully I'll be able to bring my kids to the races because it's just a great place to be.

3/4/09, 7:16 PM   #13
cwfan08

Race Count This Year: 17

I am Tyler Kelly i am 22 years young from gascity indiana. Of course im a huge sprint car fan grew up at my home track of gascity. I work there in the parking lot and at montpelier scoring. Im in college, I work, but i love going to races mostly gc mont, kok, kamp, been to bloomington twice and would love to go to the burg this year sometime.

3/4/09, 7:30 PM   #14
dkgphoto

I'm Dave Gansert, I have been involved in racing since 1966 one way or another. I have been the track photographer at O'Rielly Raceway Park in Indy for the past 6 years. I have also been shooting for Reuters at Indy for the past three years. I have been a wrench on many sprint cars, with such drivers as Bubby Jones, Danny Smith, George Snider, Ron Shuman, and Gary Irvin. I've also worked in the retail field of hose-fittings, nuts bolts, and daily consumables that racers need. My 2009 plans, I'm going to be the track photographer at Vermilion County Speedway in Danville Ill. I am also a school bus driver for the Brownsburg Community School Corp.
Dave Gansert

3/4/09, 8:11 PM   #15
micro94

Ok Devin.My name is Mike Haley.Im 35 and married.(4 stepkids and 1 granddaughter)My father took me to my first race when I was in a stoller.He wrenched for my Uncle Phil who ran sprint cars after I was born.Ive been going ever since.My father has wrenched for different people.In 88 (I think) he was helping out Tray House.He set the 4 lap qualifying record that year for the little 500.Has been broke since then but.I got to help around the shop some.In 1990 I started helping my dad wrench for Billy Throckmorton.(also sprint cars)Did that for a few years and then we started helping John Althouse.(more sprint cars)In 2001 I started racing go karts.Did that for 4 years finishing 2nd 3rd and 2nd in points at Muncie and than 2nd in points at Lapel.After I flipped my kart at Lapel at the end of 04 my dad decided I needed a roll cage.I started racing micros in 05 and still do but this year will be a 5 or 6 race season as I get a little more winded than Devin after 25 laps.I hope to get a chance to meet some people on this board sometime throughout the year.I am from Anderson,In home of the little 500.

3/4/09, 8:21 PM   #16
Bluteam

My name is Ted Hartman. I am 44 years old, have been married to the same blonde lady AND have been self employed in the trucking business since 1985. Yes, she is very tolerant.

I watched my first sprint car race in Missoula, MT in 1978, and would not see them again until I watched Leland McSpadden crash at least two times in one night and still win the main event when the SCRA visited Skagit Speedway in 1994. Have been a fan ever since.

I got involved in racing quarter midgets with my kids in 1998, hoping to avoid the motorcycle my son wanted when he was 6. One thing led to another, I became someone I said I would never be (big motorhome/ enclosed trailer), and somewhere along the line the little cars grew (as did my son & daughter) into something bigger. We did get rid of the motorhome though, and I threaten daily to trade the enclosed trailer for an open one.

My daughter "retired" from racing early, though she was the better driver IMO. My son elected to continue and now races wing and non-wing sprint cars. I do my best to make sure he is aware of the decision he is making to do this. I am a much better fan of racing, then I am of being a racing participant due in large part to the fact I interact much better with children than I do with adults.

I think all sprint car drivers are nuts, Scott Daloisio is my favorite announcer, and I think sprint cars rim riding and doing wheelies is second to nothing. I drink Mountain Dew because I'm not so young anymore. I think truck drivers in this country are underappreciated, underpaid, and since the time I could walk, there is nothing I would rather do for a living then drive a Kenworth.

Does that last line qualify me as a racer based on similarities of occupations/addictions?

3/4/09, 8:34 PM   #17
badgerfan

onthegas7j I just want to say thank you for what you do for all of us. You be safe sir.

3/4/09, 8:39 PM   #18
flynnracing8

My name is Tyler Flynn I am 17 years old and race micro sprints. I was the 08 track champ at Linton, In non wing series. I hope to be racing with some of you in the future at the Bloomington Speedway. I hope that after this year I will finally be in a sprint. Well that me.:Steer

Tylre Flynn 8

3/4/09, 8:47 PM   #19
#1Brad Kuhn Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerfan View Post
onthegas7j I just want to say thank you for what you do for all of us. You be safe sir.
i also want to say thank you. and be safe.

3/4/09, 9:03 PM   #20
Hawker

My name is Pat Grant and I'm an alcoho.... oops! Wrong group!!! j/k!!!

My name IS Pat Grant, I'm married and have 4 kids. I was born, raised and spent 30+ years in Tulsa, OK. I now live in Columbia, MO. I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade. I have been around racing all of my life and love just about every type of racing, my favorites are Sprints, Midgets and F1. When not following racing, I follow college football, GO SOONERS! I had an uncle die behind the wheel of a midget when he suffered a heart attach while driving in NM in the late 50's. He won so many races, he started giving the trophies back to the track so they would have more to give away. I don't remember my first race, our family spent pretty much every Saturday night at the track. I started working on "Supers" when I was 12 until I was 18. I then took a break from racing while I worked in the music biz as a tour manager/sound engineer, but the hiatus didn't last long. I have spent the last few years working on a winged 360 and last year was spent working for Danny Lasoski. This year, I decided to FINALLY launch openwheel.org and I also maintain a website for AMA Flattrack racer #49 Chad Cose.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Getting To Know IOW Members