IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mini VS full sprint
4/2/16, 11:01 PM   #1
Mini VS full sprint
RookieMove

Somebody help me out here. A I stupid to think that I'm about to pay the same kind of money for a full size sprint car VS. a mini? Seems like I can pick up a roller for about the same price and used sprint car motors obviusly vary but ive seen plenty for well under $10K.

A lot of the cheaper minis are 600cc and the 1000cc stuff seems about the same as the lower end V8 cars.

What am I missing here?

4/3/16, 1:14 AM   #2
Bradleyracing86

Just my opinion... Don't shoot!

Goes back to the old CTBC..
Cost To Be Competitive.

Yes it is true you can buy a sprint car for what a competitive 1000cc will cost, however you will not be competive in that car unless you go to a track that runs 2-3 features a night for a sprint class.

Older sprints with -11, or even -12 head engines would do good to qualify in a USAC show.

Then the cost of owning it is often over looked.
Sprint cars eat tires, if your going to be competive you need atleast a RR a night $250 or so a night there, fuel I'm guessing 20 gal to 30 gal a night.

When the engine does go south, the major cost sets in. Rebuilds alone cost what an entire 1000cc car can be purchased for....

All these facts is why I think the 305 Racesavers will take off here. The engine rules and cost are somewhat comparative to 1000cc cars. A working man could own and win races in either class. Both great platforms for a working budget.

Andy

7 members like this post: chtaylor, DirtHawk92, fish, RookieMove, sc17x, Slider20, thunderracing91
4/3/16, 11:23 AM   #3
Chief29

I have less than 10k in my 305 Racesaver. Everything on and in the engine is "new" except the injection which came off a top 3 in Bloomington speedway points car. Plus I plan on taking the wing off on some weekends and going to other tracks on Saturday night and getting seat time.

4 members like this post: Bradleyracing86, DirtHawk92, fish, Slider20
4/3/16, 1:45 PM   #4
Re: Mini VS full sprint
LocalYokel

Nope, not stupid to think that at all. The operating costs are higher, more tires etc. and full sprint cars break parts with minimal contact, while mini sprints just bend parts with hard contact.
The inatial investment in cars is the same pretty much, if you buy slightly used. Its been a long time since I drove, but we got my first roller used like 5 races from JJ Yeley, and a Claxton -12 that had just won Eldora for roughly 20k.
And the fun doesnt even compare. Driving a 410 is the most fun youll ever have.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, K9Racer, miller51b
4/3/16, 5:35 PM   #5
Backitin

also 600cc cars are microsprints running on 10 inch diameter rims.
Minisprints are 1000cc running on 13 inch diameter rims, same size as a midget.
Sure you can get a decent sprintcar for the price of a great minisprint, but could you afford to race it ?

4/4/16, 11:31 AM   #6
cws9

The #1 thing for me is that I can load up and go to the track by myself with my 1000 cc mini sprint. It takes pit help to run a big car. And a pocket full of money. If you can consistently run top 5 in a mini you have a good chance of breaking even or maybe even making a few bucks.

4 members like this post: Backitin, cmiracingvids, DAD, racecrzy
4/4/16, 12:10 PM   #7
bobbyd

Not only can you do it by yourself, but you don't need as large a tow vehicle or trailer.
A 1/2 ton pickup and 12 -14 foot trailer works great. Less fuel to burn to get there.

1 member likes this post: racecrzy
4/4/16, 12:21 PM   #8
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Also takes up a ton less real estate in the garage/shop, which is potentially marriage saving.
You do see some seemingly high prices for Mini Sprints but most of the higher-dollar stuff is new or near-new with better-quality components. Even if you think you're getting apples-to-apples buying a Sprint Car, chances are that a full-sized sprinter of the same apparent age and quality will be a lot more used up than the "comparable" Mini Sprint. And, as everyone else has already stated, the real cost difference comes when you have to shell out for tires, fuel, spares and repairs.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

2 members like this post: DAD, racecrzy
4/4/16, 4:59 PM   #9
Backitin

Thing is to get what you really want and love. Then when your out of money and energy, you don't have to worry about selling it. Once you get to that point It will give you as much joy just sitting there.
I lucked out with the wife part, theres a mx bike in the living room and two speedwaybikes in the computer room. Not to mention my minisprint has the best parking spot in front of the house. She also knows I'm gonna blow a whole lot of money on a 410 as soon as we sell our vacation property and she cant wait.
Go into racing knowing your throwing your money away, for something that makes absolutely no sense if you think about it.

2 members like this post: jjones752, Leohr46
4/4/16, 7:50 PM   #10
Quantrill

You're not missing much. Also look at your particular area. Is car count good? Do I have the ability to race close to home at several different venues? If your answer is no to most if not all I would try a different class. Travel can be expensive and low car count is no fun.

1 member likes this post: fish
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mini VS full sprint