IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Smackdown on repeat: Grant goes back-to-back at kokomo
8/26/23, 5:33 PM   #11
Re: Usac: Smackdown on repeat: Grant goes back-to-back at ko
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Could be, Could be, But that paw is back at his side, Ready to swat. Then everything else is just details

8/27/23, 12:59 AM   #12
yeleyfan76

Spun out in the gimmick hill thing and was never in the orbit of Grant. Of course neither was anyone else. Smackdown continues to be the best wknd Indiana/Usac has to offer with its highest top prize ever and I saw empty seats on Saturday nite. Where is the Indiana fan base at?
Another front row win for Grant. He is really good at that. Kinda wish I had money to burn and offer an extra 10g for him to start 12th and see if he could do it. Lapping back markers isn’t passing the field. Oh well can’t wait for Smackdown XIII.

3 members like this post: addictedtodirt, Blackduce, progressive22
8/27/23, 9:03 AM   #13
Charles Nungester

Can't take nothing away from Justin here. Killer weekend.
44,500 Win and lap money
400is King of Hill
6000 Thurs win
6000 Fri Win
And contingencies.

5 members like this post: Blackduce, BrentTFunk, Hubie48, Ilovedirttrackracing, LUCKYONE
8/27/23, 9:07 AM   #14
Kart#51

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 View Post
Smackdown continues to be the best wknd Indiana/Usac has to offer with its highest top prize ever and I saw empty seats on Saturday nite. Where is the Indiana fan base at? .
Same product, same tracks, same market, same fan base( most of which are either on a fixed income or nearing that life stage)..

it’s truly over saturation Last time I did the numbers USAC runs about 50% of their races in Indiana.
Plus ISW is the crown jewel for the fans in this area.

8/27/23, 10:17 AM   #15
Vookie

Quote:
I saw empty seats on Saturday nite. Where is the Indiana fan base at?
Attending Vanilla Ice concerts.

2 members like this post: Andrew S. Quinn, Hustlin-Hoosier
8/27/23, 11:00 AM   #16
The55

Yes, there were some empty seats but it was a big crowd. I don’t care so long as they have good enough attendance to keep the event going and I’m confident that was the case. Grant was just in another zip code all weekend, he is in a great car and no one is better at Kokomo. Hard combination to beat.

2 members like this post: addictedtodirt, Hubie48
8/27/23, 1:07 PM   #17
CCI

A front row starting spot that he EARNED

3 members like this post: addictedtodirt, Hustlin-Hoosier, The55
8/27/23, 7:01 PM   #18
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kart#51 View Post
Same product, same tracks, same market, same fan base( most of which are either on a fixed income or nearing that life stage)..

it’s truly over saturation Last time I did the numbers USAC runs about 50% of their races in Indiana.
Plus ISW is the crown jewel for the fans in this area.
I 100% agree with your evaluation. Which is why I so hoped extreme was successful. Part of the goal was to get the product around the whole country. I've said before and I'll say again, the fan base doesn't support it enough for 50% of the schedule to be in Indiana. Give them ISW, Smackdown, and come up with a feature weekend at Haubstadt and that's it. Usac chooses not promote their product. so be it. Its a fantastic product that mostly only a non deserving fan base gets to see if they care to show up. Thank you to kokomo for continuing Smackdown as its the best weekend in racing! Congrats to Justin Grant as he showed what chasing Dave Darland around Kokomo for years can do for your skills.

3 members like this post: addictedtodirt, Blackduce, LUCKYONE
8/27/23, 9:29 PM   #19
The55

The counter argument is that much of the country doesn’t care about sprint cars if they don’t have wings. IN supports sprint cars just fine, that is precisely why there are so many races here.

2 members like this post: Hubie48, TBONE
8/27/23, 9:50 PM   #20
Charles Nungester

Quote:
I 100% agree with your evaluation. Which is why I so hoped extreme was successful. Part of the goal was to get the product around the whole country. I've said before and I'll say again, the fan base doesn't support it enough for 50% of the schedule to be in Indiana. Give them ISW, Smackdown, and come up with a feature weekend at Haubstadt and that's it. Usac chooses not promote their product. so be it. Its a fantastic product that mostly only a non deserving fan base gets to see if they care to show up. Thank you to kokomo for continuing Smackdown as its the best weekend in racing! Congrats to Justin Grant as he showed what chasing Dave Darland around Kokomo for years can do for your skills.
Im not sure what you mean by UNDESERVING FAN BASE. Without USAC maybe two of our six Sprint Tracks are still in existence. 8 if you include THAT and Circle City. Pretty much the only shows that make tracks $$. How many tracks can run a night in PA? Two? I had two track people tell me that without all the advertising sold They would lose on every regular show.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 8/27/23 at 9:52 PM.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Smackdown on repeat: Grant goes back-to-back at kokomo