IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Concerned
3/3/14, 11:47 AM   #1
Concerned
Bad Dad 54

Some drivers are a slim frame but I get concerned about the cockpit enclosures of some cars. If they land upside down will the driver be able to get out fast enough if on fire? DON'T UNFASTEN TILL SAFETY CREW GETS TO YOU OTHER WISE. Some door knob not looking past the end of their hood may run into you & it's best if you're still strapped in. Let's be careful out there gang

1 member likes this post: davidm
3/3/14, 1:19 PM   #2
Re: Concerned
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I'll be the first to say, I have no idea whats going on in that car that just flipped crashed, whatever. I'll also be the first to say It's not my job to tell you what to do or not.

However it does seem to me that a lot of drivers are jumping out before a possible addition to the crash is eliminated (Lots of cars still moving) Some at speed. As was mentioned above. Give it half a minute if unhurt and no imminent danger. The cage/seat saved you once, its the only thing that could from a second or third hit.

2 members like this post: interpreter66, Lewis1585
3/3/14, 2:30 PM   #3
TQ29m

Chuck, I don't think you'll see many "experienced" drivers, that eager to get out of their cage, sometimes even if there is a fire, there is always the possibility that a fire could happen, but I, for one, always wait till the safety crew gets to the car, if it's safe enough for them to get to me, it's safe enough for me to get out, besides, there is a bit of time for you to get over what just scrambled things up, in your mind, and you'll still get to hop out and wave that you survived, hopefully, no use taking a chance on getting peened by someone driving off their front bumper! Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 3/3/14 at 2:32 PM. Reason: f

3/3/14, 8:37 PM   #4
sprntr

As Roger Rager once told me, "After the crash, I ducked my head, closed my eyes tight and just hung on. After a bit, it got real quiet, so I reached down, unbuckled my belts and opened my eyes. That's when I looked down and saw the track lights, below me. And I KNEW, this wasn't going to be GOOD." Best not to be in too big a hurry to get out of the car.

steiny
Last edited by sprntr; 3/3/14 at 8:41 PM.

2 members like this post: Quick Change, racenut69
3/3/14, 9:15 PM   #5
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Years ago at Ascot, Brad Nofsinger's brother Bart was killed when he exited his car too early (in anger, if I remember correctly, looking to go after the guy who dumped him) and was hit by an oncoming sprint car. With all the safety gear surrounding us these days, it's best to take a breath, and take stock of the situation...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 3/3/14 at 11:04 PM.

3/3/14, 11:09 PM   #6
CRA91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
Years ago at Ascot, Brad Nofsinger's brother Bart was killed when he exited his car too early (in anger, if I remember correctly, looking to go after the guy who dumped him) and was hit by an oncoming sprint car. With all the safety gear surrounding us these days, it's best to take a breath, and take stock of the situation...
That was Todd Noffsinger that got killed,that deal happened right in front of where I was standing in the pits.Not a pretty sight.

3/3/14, 11:20 PM   #7
cleatziff

My dad has a picture of himself after he flipped his midget in the early 80s. He is looking at the ground to make he has stopped flipping before he takes off seat belts. He said just cause it is quite doesn't mean you're done flipping.

3/4/14, 6:21 AM   #8
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRA91 View Post
That was Todd Noffsinger that got killed,that deal happened right in front of where I was standing in the pits.Not a pretty sight.
Thanks for the correction; at first I said Ace, but I knew that wasn't right.
A sad and preventable situation, in any case.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

3/4/14, 8:07 AM   #9
bobbyg45

My father always said never take your belts off tell you hear those famous words " are you alright " words to live by

3/4/14, 11:13 AM   #10
HurstBros0

Here is how it goes.... When you can see ( or touch ) the ground from a complete stop, and you don`t hear any engines running ,turn the fuel and the mag off. Then survey your surroundings for an exit... Oh... and stay with the racecar because you are still in charge of it`s status until it gets back to the pits. The wrecker guy and track crew wants the mess cleared as quick as possible. They have low concern to what else gets broken or bent on its way back to where you will submit your excuse of the circumstance that lead up to the destruction.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Concerned