IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City I-69 Speedway NEWS.
3/28/24, 5:30 PM   #11
Re: Gas City I-69 Speedway NEWS.
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
I know that this was mentioned earlier, but one assumption is that USAC is leasing the track directly from the owners for their scheduled dates, and was going to be the promoter of the races themselves. I sincerely doubt that USAC would put the races on the schedule without a signed contract from someone.

Everyone assumed that USAC would benefit from the regular leaser getting the track in race condition. How much work would it take for USAC to get Gas City prepared to race?

I understand that if the owner sells the land to a developer that this is all a moot point.
Has USAC done that in the past? It seems that there are a lot of things it takes to put on a race night that USAC does not usually have to do. But then again, I guess USAC could hire someone that has the promoter skill set.

3/28/24, 11:14 PM   #12
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Has USAC done that in the past? It seems that there are a lot of things it takes to put on a race night that USAC does not usually have to do. But then again, I guess USAC could hire someone that has the promoter skill set.
Yes they did this with Bloomington a few years ago.

3 members like this post: PIT CART, tirespinner
3/30/24, 11:52 PM   #13
Tk04

I believe there was a lease in place but some things happened and it fell through after the races were scheduled. It's unfortunate but unless something drastic happens I'm not sure you will see racing there this year, if not again.

2 members like this post: Speedmax3, tirespinner
3/31/24, 7:35 AM   #14
PAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
I think it would be hard for USAC to come in and have the races there with the track not being open and no employees to do everything.

3/31/24, 10:51 PM   #15
The Old Coyote

April 1, 2024 PRESS RELEASE

In view of the apparently imminent demise of the Gas City I-69 Speedway, The Indiana Historical Society today announced that they have acquired the bleachers of the soon to be defunct Speedway.
In a hastily arranged press conference at their Indianapolis headquarters, Society Curator Larson E. Whipsnade explained the rational behind the acquisition. “This was an opportunity for the Society to save a piece of Indiana racing memorabilia that was an unending source impassioned discussion throughout the entire life of the Gas City I-69 Speedway”. Mr. Whipsnade further stated, “One section of the bleachers will be put on display at the Indiana Historical Society in Indianapolis for all to see and to reminisce about the great racing they saw as their spine, hips and knees deteriorated. The remaining sections will be put on display at the Schools of Civil Engineering at Purdue University, Indiana University, and the Rose Hulman Technical Institute as a living example of how NOT to design bleachers”.

4 members like this post: mc/rider, PJ Wright, Speedmax3, TNRustler
3/31/24, 11:32 PM   #16
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coyote View Post
April 1, 2024 PRESS RELEASE

In view of the apparently imminent demise of the Gas City I-69 Speedway, The Indiana Historical Society today announced that they have acquired the bleachers of the soon to be defunct Speedway.
In a hastily arranged press conference at their Indianapolis headquarters, Society Curator Larson E. Whipsnade explained the rational behind the acquisition. “This was an opportunity for the Society to save a piece of Indiana racing memorabilia that was an unending source impassioned discussion throughout the entire life of the Gas City I-69 Speedway”. Mr. Whipsnade further stated, “One section of the bleachers will be put on display at the Indiana Historical Society in Indianapolis for all to see and to reminisce about the great racing they saw as their spine, hips and knees deteriorated. The remaining sections will be put on display at the Schools of Civil Engineering at Purdue University, Indiana University, and the Rose Hulman Technical Institute as a living example of how NOT to design bleachers”.
Exactly I-69 minutes early.............

4/1/24, 8:20 AM   #17
LUCKYONE

We are losing a great race track don't see anything funny about it

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, EldoraMark, PIT CART, rapid robert, snowdrift
4/1/24, 4:59 PM   #18
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCKYONE View Post
Moe, Larry, cheese

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
4/1/24, 8:00 PM   #19
sp6967

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCKYONE View Post
if some of the key board jockey's would get together the track wouldn't go anywhere.

4/1/24, 8:08 PM   #20
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

April fools

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City I-69 Speedway NEWS.