IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Midwest Thunder Midgets Post Rules for 2016 Season
2/11/16, 9:14 PM   #1
USAC Midwest Thunder Midgets Post Rules for 2016 Season
USAC MTM

The USAC Midwest Thunder Midgets (MTM) have posted rules for the upcoming season for production automotive and motorcycle- based midgets in the Indiana and Ohio region.

Please “Like” USAC MTM’s Facebook page at facebook.com/midwestthundermidgets to receive updates, or e-mail questions to USACMidwestthundermidgets@gmail.com.

3 members like this post: 99racing, dlbracer, Puppy
2/12/16, 3:27 AM   #2
Re: USAC Midwest Thunder Midgets Post Rules for 2016 Season
Puppy

Anybody know why they didnt include these engines specifically?
Chrysler World Engine 2.4L
Toyota 2.4L (2AZ-FE)
GM Quad 4 2.3L and 2.4L

2/12/16, 10:27 AM   #3
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Last edited by jjones752; 2/12/16 at 5:18 PM. Reason: Spoke first without full understanding...

1 member likes this post: TQ29m
2/12/16, 2:04 PM   #4
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
Starters required on automotive-powered cars? That will eliminate most Ecotec cars that I know of; was that a piece of the HPD/Focus rules that was unintentionally left in?
Jim, I don't know about you, but this is getting to be too much for me to follow, way too many rules for any racing guy to follow, and if laid end to end, I doubt there would be enough not turned away, to even put on the first event. Bob

4 members like this post: DAD, gearguy, jdull99, the visitor
2/12/16, 4:29 PM   #5
the visitor

USAC need I say more !!!!!!

2/12/16, 7:27 PM   #6
USAC MTM

USAC MTM series rules were designed to leverage the generally accepted ‘D2’ rules that utilize stock internals. The series is an evolution of the USAC HPD series, therefore current competitors utilize USAC Focus, Honda spec engines, and motorcycle-based midgets. In the interest of building the series, we have expanded eligible engines to include the Ecotec that is growing in popularity across the country. Our rules reflect an effort to allow all of these engines to compete on an even basis. If the current rules are shown to favor a particular interpretation, or a certain make of engine, we will work to adjust the rules in as inexpensive way as possible, within a reasonable amount of time to maintain competitiveness. At this point we are not aware of any of any Quad 4, Toyota or Chrysler engines planning to participate in this region, and as a group of volunteers with limited resources, we elected to restrict the number of engine platforms to simplify technical inspections. As noted in our rules, we are willing to consider other engines upon request.

Please e-mail questions to USACMidwestthundermidgets@gmail.com. Please do not contact the racetracks for questions regarding rules.

5 members like this post: 99racing, chtaylor, computergeek, jjones752, speedee24
2/13/16, 12:23 PM   #7
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAC MTM View Post
The USAC Midwest Thunder Midgets (MTM) have posted rules for the upcoming season for production automotive and motorcycle- based midgets in the Indiana and Ohio region.

Please “Like” USAC MTM’s Facebook page at facebook.com/midwestthundermidgets to receive updates, or e-mail questions to USACMidwestthundermidgets@gmail.com.
Thanks for posting the rules, now I can get back to putting my car and motor parts in storage, and also get on with a new invention I've been working on, in fact, it's so much fun, I can't put it down long enough to work on the tooling to get it into production, I think I could sell quite a few of them, haven't really decided on a name yet, but I'm leaning toward Yo-Yo, it seems to fit. Have a nice Valentine's day! Bob

1 member likes this post: DAD
2/13/16, 1:19 PM   #8
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Thanks for posting the rules, now I can get back to putting my car and motor parts in storage, and also get on with a new invention I've been working on, in fact, it's so much fun, I can't put it down long enough to work on the tooling to get it into production, I think I could sell quite a few of them, haven't really decided on a name yet, but I'm leaning toward Yo-Yo, it seems to fit. Have a nice Valentine's day! Bob

Bob

Not much room any more for common sense in racing (Your motor is too small to race). Perhaps the EPA will do racing a favor and put it out of it's misery. . These rules are still saying racers should fall in line and follow the leaders. What ever happened to Ingenuity. https://www.facebook.com/midwestthun...notify_me_page

Honest Dad himself

2/13/16, 2:04 PM   #9
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

"As noted in our rules, we are willing to consider other engines upon request."
I dunno, sounds like common sense to me; build up from what you have, consider other options. Has anyone actually reached out to ask if something you have will be approved?
Even if it's not it would be welcome under Montpelier rules which is where the majority of the MTM races will be run anyway...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

1 member likes this post: Chris Baue
2/13/16, 2:36 PM   #10
TQ29m

That's my plan right now, Jim, there are a lot of other "controlled" items I don't like, but then is anything perfect for those except the one's who don't question anything, I'd like to try a few things, that I don't believe to be performance enhancing, that are on the controlled list, and will continue down that path, and if it doesn't fit, no big deal, I've been questioned before, and I don't ride the rim of the rule book, usually if I don't like what I see, I look else where, but in this case, I have some investment already made, so I'll keep going till I see the final design, so to speak, I bought this midget out of the Arizona/California area, and I think it will be a good car, the engine is where it might wrankle some, because it isn't on the controlled list, even tho it is probably the most highly produced engine available on the showroom floor, but it isn't race time yet, so we'll see. Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Midwest Thunder Midgets Post Rules for 2016 Season