IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Midwest TQ Racing Series Forming
9/4/08, 5:00 PM   #111
Re: New Midwest TQ Racing Series Forming
Daddyo

Trust me J.L. if there was any decent work up there I would be back in a heart beat. I'm to old to play cops and robbers anymore. God I miss open wheel racing.

9/4/08, 5:28 PM   #112
bigmojo5

Jon,
Big Dawg is always a matter of opinion. Some drivers or teams think they are it; others don't.
Jim Morrison

9/4/08, 7:22 PM   #113
1021gpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
J.L. have you ever considered a future in ********? You're good.
actually my neighbor has a sign in his yard that says jl brewer for county council....i think he has already started

9/4/08, 8:25 PM   #114
Brewer 14

1021gpa,

Does that sign look anything like this? Would appreciate your support in November.

DaddyO,

SPD37 is too old to do it too but he is still going, I am sure you could!!!LOL (can't wait to hear him chime in on that statement):rolling

J.L. Brewer
Last edited by Brewer 14; 12/28/08 at 9:26 PM.

9/4/08, 10:31 PM   #115
GFMMInc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Lowe View Post
jrhgramps,

UMRA is a democracy in name alone. It ceased to be a true democracy on June 19, 1993.

I won't bore anyone with all of the details of what transpired in the week following that night at Rushville. But I will say that what UMRA did to the Goff Racing Team was wrong. It was wrong on so many levels it is still very hard for me to comprehend how it happened.

THAT was the beginning of the end.

If you read the UMRA By-Laws:
To encourage, promote and cultivate the close and lasting friendship among its members.

To promote, encourage, foster and cultivate the preservation, ownership and operation of vehicles meeting the requirements of the UMRA... to provide, negotiate and carry on programs of sports, hobbies and other activities among its members and their families for the purpose of furnishing wholesome recreation or other activites for such persons.
The people in charge of UMRA at that time (officers and board members) were entrusted to preserve UMRA. They got power hungry and thought they could get rid of the competition. Why? Because it was in UMRA's best interests? Because it was in their best interests?

I'll go with the latter.

I am ashamed to say that I was the head scorer and secretary of UMRA when this happened.

In my opinion the other officers and board members knew what they were doing was wrong. But they were greedy and couldn't let the opportunity pass them by. Why else would they have a secret board meeting and suspend an entire team.

How can a club that has a president, vice-president, secretary, treasurer and an eight member board of directors do this without having the secretary involved? Or their head scorer? Especially when one of the points of suspension had to do with a scoring matter.

I remember countless hours spent in board meetings that fall just trying to get UMRA to issue an apology to Johnny Goff (car owner) because he was not involved in any of the items that the team was suspended for. And when I say hours I'm talking about 10-12 hour meetings.

To the entire Goff Racing Team:
I AM SORRY
I did everything I could to help you out but it was not enough.

I know it is hard when people rip something away from you that has been a part of you for so long. My dad was involved with UMRA from almost the beginning. It's not just a job, or a place to race, it's like family.

But what you are doing now is wrong. This has nothing to do with what may or may not have happened at Anderson as I wasn't there. You are not the same people now that you were then. I wish you didn't feel that you had to take, by any means necessary, what you feel is yours. Guys that was 15 years ago. Let it go!

UMRA began with humble beginnings on May 27, 1961 in Salem, Indiana. 13 cars showed up for that race. By their second race, in Martinsville, the car count had doubled to 26. 15 races later the season concluded with Mel Harpring crowned champion. Harpring won 5 of the 17 features garnering 1,861 points. Roy Young (1,336 points) and Rick Meyer (1,304) rounded out the top 3. UMRA's highest car count was at Salem on July 28th when they had 33 competitors.

I wish Jennifer Frechette much success with the new club. If there is anything I can do to help just let me know.

Sandy Lowe
Well said Sandy. Remember everyone. Sometimes change makes things better. Not comparing apples to oranges, but I remember that people were upset when they redone Kokomo Speedway. I was one who did not want the change. Now I am glad they did it.

I think we will say the same to a new series that is a true democracy. Keep it on the straight and narrow and it will prosper.

9/4/08, 11:06 PM   #116
STP

Race Count Last Year: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksaw View Post
Does the new series have a race scheduled for 2008 or will it start in 2009? Have heard rumors of a race at Rushville this fall.
There is a race scheduled for Sept. 27, 2008 at Greensburg. It's going to be an exhibition race. Still working out the details and will post them soon. We have a website under development. I know there are a lot of rumors so I will post the concrete information there. It's going to be pretty exciting. If you are thinking about dusting off your car, now's a good time, Jon. :Steer

9/4/08, 11:12 PM   #117
STP

Race Count Last Year: 1

It will be at least $100 to start.

9/5/08, 7:32 AM   #118
RR>LR=LTO

Jennifer, thank you for promoting a series like this to get "racers" ready for 410 sprint cars. Being a 410 non-wing owner i can attest to the cost. I'm also the father of a fine young man that will be ready to race in a few years. You can add my name to the membership list very soon. TQs would be ideal for me to get my son started, but there is no way I would put my son on the racetrack with the Goffs. I want to teach him to win graciously and lose with humility, and that everyone has repercussions for their actions.
That being said, I would like to know the following:
Where do I buy a chassis?
Who builds the motors?
Is there a tire rule?
I wish you the best of luck and thanks again for getting TQ racing back on track.

When arguing with a woman: You must first throw out logic and common sense.
Benjamin Franklin :headbang

9/5/08, 8:01 AM   #119
illinisprintfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by STP View Post
There is a race scheduled for Sept. 27, 2008 at Greensburg. It's going to be an exhibition race. Still working out the details and will post them soon. We have a website under development. I know there are a lot of rumors so I will post the concrete information there. It's going to be pretty exciting. If you are thinking about dusting off your car, now's a good time, Jon. :Steer
Jennifer,
If you are running Greensburg, you might want to do some advance scouting before the race. Earlier this summer, the umra was scheduled to race there. We arrived at 5 o'clock to find no one there and a track that looked like it hadn't been touched in months. The track was overgrown with weeds and terribly rutted up.There was no sign that said races cancelled or anything. I'm sure they have run races since then, but it might be worth checking out to avoid a repeat.

9/5/08, 9:35 AM   #120
jontheturboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR>LR=LTO View Post
Jennifer, thank you for promoting a series like this to get "racers" ready for 410 sprint cars. Being a 410 non-wing owner i can attest to the cost. I'm also the father of a fine young man that will be ready to race in a few years. You can add my name to the membership list very soon. TQs would be ideal for me to get my son started, but there is no way I would put my son on the racetrack with the Goffs. I want to teach him to win graciously and lose with humility, and that everyone has repercussions for their actions.
That being said, I would like to know the following:
Where do I buy a chassis?
Who builds the motors?
Is there a tire rule?
I wish you the best of luck and thanks again for getting TQ racing back on track.
Chassis:
Dave Ellis in Arizona
Bob McClure in Seymour Indiana
Breka Chassis of New Zealand
Stealth
Beast
Kunz (doesn't have a jig, but if you beg him with enough $$$ it might happen)
Stallard (not sure if they would build you one or not)

Engines:
Kenny Miller in Madison Indiana
Mark Ray in Iowa (Robbie Ray's father)
Dennis Hart
Koch racing engines in California
Vesco (not sure if they are still in the game or not)

Tire rule:
Nope. Must be 13" or 10". Other than that, there is a spec tire rule on pavement but thats it.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Midwest TQ Racing Series Forming