IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 35 raceway June 13th non wing mini/HPD legal midget
6/9/15, 2:50 PM   #1
35 raceway June 13th non wing mini/HPD legal midget
minisprint47

35 raceway Saturday June 13th Non wing mini sprint or any USAC HPD legal midget come join us on the 1/4 mile bullring for exciting non wing racing 300 to win with 10 or more cars for more information go to 35raceway.com or https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ohio-...8?ref=settings

1 member likes this post: DAD
6/9/15, 2:58 PM   #2
Re: 35 raceway June 13th non wing mini/HPD legal midget
DAD

I think I see a trend developing.
Sure hope it takes root.

Tony>>You guys left out the "Ecotec Midgets" Possibly the savior of Mini-Lightning Sprint racers. It is hard to find anybody that races the little Honda right now, but the little Chevy and Ford Focus can be found in a lot of race shops all over the Mid West.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 6/9/15 at 3:03 PM.

6/9/15, 3:30 PM   #3
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

On Facebook Bear Wood is drumming up interest for a Montpelier-rules race at Union County (aka Whitewater) in July. Also on FB I read that Waynesfield drew 30 cars to the combined HPD/AMSA show last Saturday (excellent) but only 3 were HPD (ouch). Does anyone know who the HPD's were besides Alex Watson, and if either of them were Hondas? Wonder if the ratio is why the results haven't made it onto USAC's website yet. Not bashing USAC at all, there's enough on here for that; just seems like the trend is towards a different, more inclusive platform for the around-200hp bunch.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 6/11/15 at 7:49 AM. Reason: "Wood" is not plural :)

1 member likes this post: DAD
6/9/15, 3:56 PM   #4
DAD

Jim

When they get around to a 10" right rear things will all fall into place. Right now Harold is getting more and more Late model Midgets and his need for chain drive and alternate engine platforms will diminish. The budget racer will be once again looking for places to race. The change is great for Montpelier but maybe not for you. Just as in the (Open Wheel Modified class>>> that was hard to say) if we control the cars with available traction rather than Horsepower there should be room for Ecotecs>>Honda>>Focus>>Older Push rod midgets and even Mini-Sprints to race with one another in an enjoyable atmosphere. Hopefully if we can develop enough interest in these Midgets we can cut down on travel to say 100 miles or less for the racer. Like I said a long time ago move Montpelier 100 miles south.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 6/9/15 at 3:59 PM.

6/9/15, 6:41 PM   #5
minisprint47

I have had I think 2 hpd guys say they are coming this weekend....As far as where they are I have no idea this is the second non wing event at 35 raceway in a month last time we had 21 cars or so....I hope its a good trend, Non wing lets the 600s that are being put away or just purchased by a first time racer to be some what competitive and shortens the learning curve of the new guys coming into the sport....also the under budget 1000s can even be competitive... It also loosens the rules and lets us get back to racing instead of separation due to rules we can bring the car counts back where they need to be so the track owners and the drivers are happy.....At least that's what I think...maybe I am off base but just my opinion.....

2 members like this post: DAD, Jim Gardner
6/9/15, 8:11 PM   #6
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by minisprint47 View Post
I have had I think 2 hpd guys say they are coming this weekend....As far as where they are I have no idea this is the second non wing event at 35 raceway in a month last time we had 21 cars or so....I hope its a good trend, Non wing lets the 600s that are being put away or just purchased by a first time racer to be some what competitive and shortens the learning curve of the new guys coming into the sport....also the under budget 1000s can even be competitive... It also loosens the rules and lets us get back to racing instead of separation due to rules we can bring the car counts back where they need to be so the track owners and the drivers are happy.....At least that's what I think...maybe I am off base but just my opinion.....
Mini

In days gone by I thought speed was everything. Over the years I have come to enjoy competition no matter what the speed of the race. The 12" Right Rear that we are all used to racing is great for all out balls to the wall racing. On many race tracks the 1000cc cars can break them loose at will. Looking back into the Midget glory days of the 70's and 80's look at what they ran for rear tires. Some of the best drivers of all times raced on tires smaller than what we run on our left side today. These drivers were great because they had to drive the race car. If I were to place a blame on the demise of racing it would probably be placed on the modern day race tire. Back in the 70's the drivers had to drive their race cars both with their hands and feet and butt. The drivers most of us accuse of cheating are usually the drivers with the best car control.

If a tire manufacture would make an 82" X 10" right rear so the guys could get their stagger right the Modern day Midget would not have much of a performance advantage even over a 1000cc car on a regular slicking off race track. If the track got heavier it would be a different story. Why is Eldora dry and dusty? could it be for better parity for the race cars? thus better racing. Lets lobby for a 10 inch right rear tire and see if we can't get one into production by one of the tire makers and then lets get racing these Alternate Midgets (Division II) "Wayne" together and having fun.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: Xflagman
6/11/15, 7:30 AM   #7
bearwood8jr

Jim I was at Waynesfield to watch the HPD race and Watson and the other 2 midgets were focus motors. I don't believe anyone around that area has a Honda motor and why would you buy one for $10,000. yea they say that it can run around 40 races on it before freshening it but ive got a Gearte and have less in it than that. also if you change the oil after each race, adjust the valves and don't run it at 10,000 rpm's they will stay together. there has been a kid at Montpelier with a 1000 mini that is running good and beating some of the 166ci cars. ive asked the owner at union county to put a race on to get all types of non wing midgets a place that we can have fun and the payout is decent.

6/11/15, 8:20 AM   #8
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearwood8jr View Post
Jim I was at Waynesfield to watch the HPD race and Watson and the other 2 midgets were focus motors. I don't believe anyone around that area has a Honda motor and why would you buy one for $10,000. yea they say that it can run around 40 races on it before freshening it but ive got a Gearte and have less in it than that. also if you change the oil after each race, adjust the valves and don't run it at 10,000 rpm's they will stay together. there has been a kid at Montpelier with a 1000 mini that is running good and beating some of the 166ci cars. ive asked the owner at union county to put a race on to get all types of non wing midgets a place that we can have fun and the payout is decent.
Bear
Maybe that (and the fact that a M/C engine won) is why USAC didn't post the results, and now has removed the Waynesfield date from the schedule post-mortem? Gage has been doing well at Montpelier and I think that the chain drive contingent will always have a place at that joint, 12-inch rubber and all; I for one don't need the extra expense of new rear wheels and the loss of a ready supply of cheap "scuffs" from the big boys (Happy Birthday by the way Dad, you chain-yanker, you rabble-rouser). Once I get my front end back together and teach myself to stay on the button next weekend at MMS, I plan to support your effort at Union County and Hopefully make it out to Salem and 35 before the Summer's over. It's great that we're starting to have more options.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 6/11/15 at 8:21 AM.

3 members like this post: 99racing, bearwood8jr, DAD
6/11/15, 4:50 PM   #9
minisprint47

Thanks for all the opinions, I hope all this goes well and we can get back to racing and having good car counts and racing is always gonna be expensive but lets keep it still within the grasp of new guys wanting to come into the sport and not be overwhelmed....After all that's how you make a class grow and car counts increase is by showing people that they too can race and it is possible on a decent budget....These tracks and associations need to understand that instead of shooting them self in the foot ...My dad tought me the K>I>S>S method "Keep it simple stupid" words to live by...again only an opinion.....

2 members like this post: jjones752, Racer_dude35
6/11/15, 9:35 PM   #10
LEADERS EDGE

The "Glory Days" of midget racing was in the time frame of right after WWII to the mid to late 50's. There has been a slow and steady decline since then. Social, Economic and an emphasis on safety have shaped racing as we know it today. Success and a perceived decline has had nothing to do with the width of the tires.
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 6/11/15 at 9:38 PM.

2 members like this post: DAD, jjones752
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 35 raceway June 13th non wing mini/HPD legal midget