IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Midwest Thunder Midgets Post Rules for 2016 Season
2/13/16, 3:58 PM   #11
Re: USAC Midwest Thunder Midgets Post Rules for 2016 Season
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
"As noted in our rules, we are willing to consider other engines upon request."
I dunno, sounds like common sense to me; build up from what you have, consider other options. Has anyone actually reached out to ask if something you have will be approved?
Even if it's not it would be welcome under Montpelier rules which is where the majority of the MTM races will be run anyway...
Jim

I guess I am not too politically correct, but that clause negates the rule book. If you are on the right side of the powers that be sure you can try that. Rules need to be concrete. Would anybody put a different motor in their race car with a clause like that hoping that they might be in the click and be accepted. Specific rules to include engine type and model numbers are pretty darned specific.

A lot of racers are pretty smart. Lets say that there are 30 engines that meet the displacement specifications or maybe a just little smaller. They all are a little different in design some may have an edge over the competition, they all come with about the same price from the salvage yard. Right now the Eco tec is the hot set up but who is to say that a guy might find a little Chrysler motor that he thinks will be better, why out law him with very specific rules, instead of asking for permission that guy will probably just choose not to race. All of these new motors are pretty close in performance, if it is going to be a stock block class then lets make it a stock block class. Ask your self how did that Focus Midget work out or How did that Honda Midget work out. Then ask why did they work out the way they did. D2 Midgets will probably have to depend on Mini Sprints to help make the field. Why have Mini Sprints been able to survive and grow. The reason is Motors. When the Motorcycle manufactures got to racing one another in the 1000cc class they produced an abundant amount of motors for the Mini Sprint guys to Race and most of them are competitive with one another in their stock configuration. The Auto Makers are doing that to some degree with their new 4 valve motors. Another big secret to Mini Sprint development was the motors kept getting better (remember they were racing one another for the market share.) The same is true with auto makers, every body wants the fastest rocket ship out there. Those should be the motors that end up in D2 Midgets. BUT that won't happen if rule makers keep thinking with a 1950 mentality on engine design. These are throw away motors guys>>when you blow your motor up go out and get a brand new junk yard motor, don't waste your time and money trying to patch that old motor up.

By the way what is the difference between the Montpelier Rule package and the National or semi National D2 rule package?

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 2/13/16 at 4:10 PM.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
2/13/16, 4:33 PM   #12
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Sorry Dad, maybe I shouldn't have even commented; after all, I'm basing what I'm doing on the fact that I got a killer deal on a motor that doesn't fit into anyone's box and I feel like I've found a home at Montepelier with the big, wide racetrack, the friendly atmosphere and the almost complete lack of restrictions. It may seem contradictory that I can see the other party's perspective, but I do. It didn't come from whinging on a message board though; it came through rational conversation with parties directly involved. Admittedly, much of that conversation was with various groups in an attempt to negotiate for my motor's approval, which has met with only limited success, but by speaking to those parties one-on-one I feel I've gained a ton more appreciation for the folks who are going out on a limb to offer Midgeteers more places to race.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 2/13/16 at 4:38 PM.

6 members like this post: Chris Baue, chtaylor, DAD, gearguy, Tom23, TQ29m
2/13/16, 5:15 PM   #13
DAD

Jim

Your choice of motors was yours to make. I realize that you were given the understanding that that motor would be D2 Legal. But D2 was not your big concern, knowing that with the non restrictive Montpelier rule package you would still be considered legal and after all that is your track of choice. But how about other racers? They race little Neon's out east, what if someone wanted to buy one of those cars and give it a try. Rules should not be written with a final clause of we reserve the right to change our minds. What good are these rules? When Harold began his Midget class he did two very important things. #1 He made a very simple set of rules. #2 He set his purse up so that no matter what the car count the racer could be assured of what he was racing for. No based on a 20 car stipulation that so many promoters tend to do now days. He has been very successful. Making room for the fledgling D2 guys even. People don't seem to give this class the respect it deserves. These cars can be very competitive. When the rules are too specific guys like you and Bob are left out. Basically what I am trying to get across is there is not much difference between different car engine packages, the difference will be made by set up and driving not the motor. There will always be a predominant motor no doubt, but let the races decide what motor it will be.

Honest Dad himself

Enjoy that new Motor. May your learning curve be short.
Last edited by DAD; 2/13/16 at 5:17 PM.

2/13/16, 5:53 PM   #14
99racing

Does anyone know how the ignore list works?

3 members like this post: computergeek, opnwhlmnd, Ray3
2/13/16, 7:39 PM   #15
TQ29m

I think first your sight dims, then your hearing gets difficult, then it all comes back when you no longer care, and just skip past, do something you like, I tried it once, and it wasn't long before I couldn't remember why I did it. Bob

2/14/16, 12:05 PM   #16
Backitin

I recently emailed to see if our approx. 200 h.p. 1200cc gsxr air/oil cooled engine would be legal in the series.
Let you know when I get a response. My boy is finished with racing speedway motorcycles and it would be fun to have him get some sprint experience.
Are 1200's legal at Montpelier ? Theres no way I could justify taking out our perfect (in my old timer mind) 1200 just to buy and tune a engine that I don't like.
Bob

2/14/16, 2:57 PM   #17
cbhhms17439

Race Count This Year: 40
Race Count Last Year: 40

I believe it ll b legal with the new midwest lightning midget series contact jay tinder

1 member likes this post: Avon Open Wheel fan
2/14/16, 3:16 PM   #18
Backitin

Yep it is. He got right to me after my post.
Also the rep for the usac Midwest thunder midgets also got right back to me.
Kudo's to both.

2/14/16, 11:05 PM   #19
egh170

Get USAC in it and it will get screwed up.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Midwest Thunder Midgets Post Rules for 2016 Season