IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC and D2 Midgets
12/5/15, 10:00 PM   #51
Re: USAC and D2 Midgets
99racing

now that there is rules is there going to more than one track in indiana using them?

12/5/15, 10:10 PM   #52
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrack View Post
Allen was a smart man. He went to the stock R1 at a time nobody thought you could give up 200cc and win. He won. He also saw tough times coming for the racing economy 10 years ago. The last time I talked to him he said, "If you keep mini sprints affordable, this class will grow and grow." He passed a lot of that on to Andy.
Dirt

I don't know who you are but when Allen put that stock R1 motor in a mini sprint, the 1200cc mini sprints were on a respirator. To heck with the 200cc's those were $10,000.00 racing motors with a life span of only half a dozen races. You did not race with only one motor you needed one spare and one back at your engine builder.

I still remember Allen's first R1 test race at Thunder Valley. He put his car on the back of the field and took off like a bat out of hell. Well his driver-mechanic whose name we will not mention here did not tighten the counter sprocket and the test race was over in a few laps. He went on to win countless AMSA races.

Honest Dad himself

12/5/15, 10:52 PM   #53
dirtrack

Dad,

I am Brad Funk from Illinois or Illinoise as our hoosier friends like to say. I first met Allen in 06. I hauled my ailing ZX11 all the way to Lawrenceburg just to pit near Allen and see what he was doing with the R1's. I could only afford to kept that old thing running a few races a year. He was more than willing to help me switch to a R1, even though I built my own chassis and was to fat to fit in a ERC. The man loved this class. When we started a club in Illinois, Allen sent 2 cars over most weeks to help us get started.

1 member likes this post: DAD
12/5/15, 11:06 PM   #54
Hustler

Race Count This Year: 18

I don't see how the car engines will keep up with the liter bike engine? 200 lbs less weight requirement and they make more power stock. bike engines will last 3-4 seasons without being freshened up and throw cam sprockets, head gasket and tune and you're looking at 170 whp easy.
I thought it would be interesting to race D2 midgets competitively but also race some bucket list races with the same package. Ie chili bowl, midget week etc. but without being able to put a K20 head on the K24a1 seems like they will be dogs and there is no use in running with the midgets. I would run a short track national race with 270hp but definitely not with 200. So that's what intrigued me to do a non chain drive car but I think the liter bike engines will be superior.
I think this D2 deal is awesome and definitely something that needed to happen for a long time.

12/5/15, 11:10 PM   #55
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrack View Post
Dad,

I am Brad Funk from Illinois or Illinoise as our hoosier friends like to say. I first met Allen in 06. I hauled my ailing ZX11 all the way to Lawrenceburg just to pit near Allen and see what he was doing with the R1's. I could only afford to kept that old thing running a few races a year. He was more than willing to help me switch to a R1, even though I built my own chassis and was to fat to fit in a ERC. The man loved this class. When we started a club in Illinois, Allen sent 2 cars over most weeks to help us get started.
Brad

That would be Allen. My grand parents lived in Walpole Il right between McClainsboro and Eldorado I think. Gran Pa was an Oil Magnate or at least I thought so, he took care of a bunch of old oil wells.

Honest Dad himself

12/5/15, 11:23 PM   #56
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler View Post
I don't see how the car engines will keep up with the liter bike engine? 200 lbs less weight requirement and they make more power stock. bike engines will last 3-4 seasons without being freshened up and throw cam sprockets, head gasket and tune and you're looking at 170 whp easy.
I thought it would be interesting to race D2 midgets competitively but also race some bucket list races with the same package. Ie chili bowl, midget week etc. but without being able to put a K20 head on the K24a1 seems like they will be dogs and there is no use in running with the midgets. I would run a short track national race with 270hp but definitely not with 200. So that's what intrigued me to do a non chain drive car but I think the liter bike engines will be superior.
I think this D2 deal is awesome and definitely something that needed to happen for a long time.
Hustler

And USAC placed a restrictor on the Honda Motor. If the Honda motor won't get up and go ditch it. The little GM motor seems to be the motor of choice the later the better. They race the Ecotec I guess soon to be D2 Midget at the shootout. D2 cars can run the Chili Bowl ask Johnny Murdock, But they really don't like the chain drive cars there, Maybe we should have the US attorney General check that out???

We manage to outrun quite a few National Midgets when we race or chain drive car at Montpelier In. and that track is closer to 3/8 mile.

And I wouldn't put a lot of money on the chain drives either.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/5/15 at 11:25 PM.

12/5/15, 11:52 PM   #57
DAD

Hustler

Question, I'm not familiar with the Honda K motors. What makes the k20 a better head than the k24? The thing I noticed on the net was that the k20s were pretty potent. It looks like they had a lot of compression and twisted them pretty tight as opposed to the longer stroke k24. I am quite wrong a whole lot of times but if I had a midget class limited to 2.4 liters I would sure let a guy with a little 2 liter run with me, kind of like the 2.0 Duratec?

Honest Dad himself

12/6/15, 1:03 AM   #58
Roy Bleckert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Hustler

Question, I'm not familiar with the Honda K motors. What makes the k20 a better head than the k24? The thing I noticed on the net was that the k20s were pretty potent. It looks like they had a lot of compression and twisted them pretty tight as opposed to the longer stroke k24. I am quite wrong a whole lot of times but if I had a midget class limited to 2.4 liters I would sure let a guy with a little 2 liter run with me, kind of like the 2.0 Duratec?

Honest Dad himself
Short story the Honda K20 A2 head flows much better whether it is stock or ported , since I am late to this & five laps down , could some one summarize what is up , cuz I am to lazy to run thru all these threads , podcasts et al BwaHahaaa!!!!

2 members like this post: DAD, dirtrack
12/6/15, 7:17 AM   #59
DAD

Roy

It reads like a "Dime Store Novel" Started out with me making a post about the USAC D2 Midgets were going to be on "Racin with D.O." a pretty good interview. http://jackslash.com/podcast/

It then went on to engines and rules like these things always do.

It was followed by a little kettle stirring from another racing group.

And now we end up on peoples fears about the little Honda K20 Motor.

If the K20 is that darned good why not let it race???

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/6/15 at 7:58 AM.

1 member likes this post: Roy Bleckert
12/6/15, 10:38 AM   #60
SAC74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
Per D2 rules:

Equalization:

"As the POWRi Division II grows, it will attempt to equalize competition, we reserve the right to adjust the rules. When the current rules have been shown to favor a particular interpretation, or a certain make of engine, we will work to adjust the rules in as inexpensive way as possible, within a reasonable amount of time."

Just sayin'.
OK now I'm a little confused. There is a post on IOW about the Powri D2 series and one about the USAC D2 series. I have heard that both series are using the same rules for now. This post says Powri reserves the right to adjust the rules to keep competition between the 1000cc mini sprints and the ecotecs and other automotive engine powered cars equal. If Powri adjusts the rules, is USAC going make the same adjustments? What's going to happen if one guy with a 1000cc mini sprint wins most of the Powri D2 races early in the season, and one guy with an Ecotec wins most of the USAC D2 races early in the season? If one guy dominates most of the races with a mini sprint, will all 1000cc cars be adjusted? My friend's Dad ran a 4 cylinder hobby stock a few years ago where some of the guys wanted to limit them to American made cars only (whatever that means anymore), and others wanted to let foreign made cars run. They tried to have a rule like this to keep them equal, but it never really worked very well.
Last edited by SAC74; 12/6/15 at 11:17 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC and D2 Midgets