IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Engine rules for D-2 2016-2018
7/8/15, 5:15 PM   #41
Re: Engine rules for D-2 2016-2018
smokintires

1 member likes this post: DAD
7/8/15, 6:39 PM   #42
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Davis View Post
This was not intended to be a discussion about Ti bolts vs. grade or who has a lathe or who does not. I was suppose to be about gathering "DATA" on engines rules such as to:

2.5 max or 2.4 max
after market parts vs. stock
cost of engine configurations
how to kept cost to a min. vs allowing more $$$ to be spent
Stock components vs stock mix and match

So the thread went off topic a bit,but I noted that you went off topic asking about titanium bolts earlier too. Either way,the off topic brought in posts from others than the normal 2 or 3 that always seem to post whenever D-2 midgets are brought up. Also,if you post asking people to e-mail you rather than post on anything,how much discussion are you really going to get,as the post moves to the bottom of the page quickly otherwise?

I just find it amazing these days,that everyone is happy for the most part to get the wallet out for bolt on stuff,instead of making it themselves,and getting the personal satisfaction of making something yourself,often times by trial and error. Quite a few years ago,my former Australian race promoter friend Kym Bonython (RIP) said this: In my day the old backyard mechanic was the lifeblood of Speedway. He's disappeared now,and I can see why. I wouldnt want to race week after week knowing that I had no chance of winning."
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 7/8/15 at 6:41 PM.

7/8/15, 7:15 PM   #43
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
So the thread went off topic a bit,but I noted that you went off topic asking about titanium bolts earlier too. Either way,the off topic brought in posts from others than the normal 2 or 3 that always seem to post whenever D-2 midgets are brought up. Also,if you post asking people to e-mail you rather than post on anything,how much discussion are you really going to get,as the post moves to the bottom of the page quickly otherwise?

I just find it amazing these days,that everyone is happy for the most part to get the wallet out for bolt on stuff,instead of making it themselves,and getting the personal satisfaction of making something yourself,often times by trial and error. Quite a few years ago,my former Australian race promoter friend Kym Bonython (RIP) said this: In my day the old backyard mechanic was the lifeblood of Speedway. He's disappeared now,and I can see why. I wouldnt want to race week after week knowing that I had no chance of winning."
You talkin' to me?
Wayne knows my thoughts. Let's just race...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

2 members like this post: Scott Bradley, Wayne Davis
7/8/15, 10:19 PM   #44
99racing

After 5 pages of reading found no good information besides what kind of bolts should be allowed WOW hope it quits raining soon

4 members like this post: fish, lightning01, Scott Bradley, Wayne Davis
7/8/15, 10:45 PM   #45
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99racing View Post
After 5 pages of reading found no good information besides what kind of bolts should be allowed WOW hope it quits raining soon
So right 99 very little DATA on engines as far

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

7/8/15, 11:15 PM   #46
Wayne Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
I like this smokintires guy.....
you should...your the same guy

7/8/15, 11:17 PM   #47
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Davis View Post
So right 99 very little DATA on engines as far
Wayne

I thought I was pretty clear on my idea of engine specs. Some debate would be nice without getting too bent out of shape. 2400cc's kind of limits engine choice to the Good old Ecotec and a hot rod 2300cc Esslinger. 2500 cc's open the choice to several more motors that might be successfully raced including a larger Focus Motor. Making after market rods and pistons legal will only add a lot of expense to the cost of a motor. For the cost of your rods alone you could buy a low mileage late model motor. Like bike motors my choice would be to pay extra and buy a low mileage newer engine that does not require rebuilding. If you chose to rebuild an older motor most DIY people have no way of controlling their dimensions and may just be building a bomb. The factory does a much better job at putting engines together. Or PAY for the expertise of a reputable engine builder. Keep the motor rules simple try to make it so that a quick visual inspection with a bore scope will cover most instances. Do not throw away your measuring tools just in case. Keep it fun and affordable and don't make it ecotec only.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 7/8/15 at 11:32 PM.

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
7/8/15, 11:18 PM   #48
polecar

what is the engine layover? is the 2.4 still in production? if not maybe go up to the 2.5. maybe allow high compression pistons and better rods the rest stays stock.

7/8/15, 11:25 PM   #49
DAD

pole

Google ecotec motor and Duratec motor Wikipedia for starters.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 7/8/15 at 11:26 PM.

7/9/15, 12:01 AM   #50
Wayne Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by polecar View Post
what is the engine layover? is the 2.4 still in production? if not maybe go up to the 2.5. maybe allow high compression pistons and better rods the rest stays stock.
Pole Cat...what we have now in place...but am very interested in racers thought on the engine compatibility with cost and reliability

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Engine rules for D-2 2016-2018