IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Little 500
3/11/24, 11:39 PM   #31
Re: Little 500
richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlamb View Post
Isn’t it the highest paying (to win) sprint car race in Indiana now?
Sprint Car Smackdown at Kokomo pays $30,000-to-win for USAC Sprint Cars. Plus a $500 bonus for each lap led. Justin Grant collected $44,500 on the final night of the event in 2023.

3/12/24, 5:02 AM   #32
Hubie48

My late great buddy Jack French built a special car for this event. It paid off as his car won this event several times.

https://andersonspeedway.com/little-...ers-1949-2023/

Jack was a real character whom I miss very much. I had alot of fun working and hanging out with him.

RIP my Friend
Last edited by Hubie48; 3/12/24 at 5:03 AM.

3/12/24, 6:37 AM   #33
tigerone

I enjoy the whole week of the Little 500. Interesting to watch as the drivers and teams work to gain speed prior to qualifying. Then they work on race strategy in preparation for the race. For me it culminates with the race. I’ve been going for over 30 years and take my grandkids with me, wouldn’t miss it.

3/12/24, 7:56 AM   #34
Offroadrace_814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubie48 View Post
My late great buddy Jack French
My dad and Jack worked together at RRD. Until my dad passed away.

1 member likes this post: Hubie48
3/12/24, 8:41 AM   #35
TommyTipover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I was sitting with 2 highly respected promoters 4 years ago. They were amazed that the insurance company hadn't shut it down.
I absolutely love the Little 500 but it definitely has the feel that something really, really bad will happen someday.

1 member likes this post: Hubie48
3/12/24, 8:42 AM   #36

Well this will be my 34th year. Few things I can add to what people are saying:
1. if you haven't been in the last 5 to 6 years, the race has totally changed. It so much more competitive now. Really don't have cars riding around the bottom getting lapped every 5 laps. Its a fight just to make the field.
2. all of the top teams have really picked up there game. Its much harder now to get on a lap by yourself. Pit strategy is huge. No perfect science to it either.
3. ENDURANCE is the word. Top cars wreck out every single year. Someone in the top 5 always has a pit mistake.
4. Its almost like some teams have figured out how to make there cars get better as the race goes on. Its probably more that there cars don't fall off like most others. Every year someone becomes a rocket ship in the last 200. How big of a hole did they dig themselves in the first 300?

I love this race. I absolutely hate the track management. The management has destroyed the place. This race funds there year. Very little money is put back into the place. The track mismanagement is what holds this race back. I grew up here. This is the only time I visit the track each year.

2 members like this post: Hubie48, r.e.legg
3/12/24, 9:18 AM   #37
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
Well this will be my 34th year. Few things I can add to what people are saying:
1. if you haven't been in the last 5 to 6 years, the race has totally changed. It so much more competitive now. Really don't have cars riding around the bottom getting lapped every 5 laps. Its a fight just to make the field.
2. all of the top teams have really picked up there game. Its much harder now to get on a lap by yourself. Pit strategy is huge. No perfect science to it either.
3. ENDURANCE is the word. Top cars wreck out every single year. Someone in the top 5 always has a pit mistake.
4. Its almost like some teams have figured out how to make there cars get better as the race goes on. Its probably more that there cars don't fall off like most others. Every year someone becomes a rocket ship in the last 200. How big of a hole did they dig themselves in the first 300?

I love this race. I absolutely hate the track management. The management has destroyed the place. This race funds there year. Very little money is put back into the place. The track mismanagement is what holds this race back. I grew up here. This is the only time I visit the track each year.
Thought there was a five million in improvements plan going on, last time I was there they had new grandstands in turn three.

3/12/24, 11:54 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Thought there was a five million in improvements plan going on, last time I was there they had new grandstands in turn three.
lol go look at the construction on those! You will be less than impressed, unless they have had work done to them since the race last year. trying to think, they were hastily put up 2 or 3 years ago. Used bleachers from another track. Wish I still had my pictures of them. The owner has done some good things for open wheel, but he is a stock car fan. He does not understand why his redbud race is not bigger than the sprint car race. That came directly from his mouth.

1 member likes this post: r.e.legg
3/12/24, 1:17 PM   #39
revjimk

I like the men's room with no roof..... or have they fixed that???

5 members like this post: erich45, OnTheHammer, oppweld, r.e.legg, tirespinner
3/12/24, 3:10 PM   #40

Thats historic. Need to put the flag pole back up in the center!

4 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, OnTheHammer, r.e.legg, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Little 500