Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > D2 Midgets
3/13/18, 5:19 PM   #11
Re: D2 Midgets
The Old Coyote

1 member likes this post: jdull99
3/13/18, 7:31 PM   #12
Ray3

Last edited by Ray3; 3/13/18 at 7:58 PM.

3/13/18, 8:24 PM   #13
jdull99

Wayne, beware, if you already haven't, I'd expect you will get a PM from this convo. It appears you've exposed much more than the average IoW reader is to know.....lol. Keep on keeping on. Hope you have a stock motor high paying race in Northern IL or Southern WI some day!
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

2 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, Wayne Davis
3/14/18, 2:13 AM   #14
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Davis View Post
Just so the record is straight as far as D-2 goes: The soul purpose of Division II midget racing was to keep it affordable for the AVERAGE working man. The men and women that want to race but do not have the expendable income it takes to race a national powered midget. I incorporated my rules back in 2010 so the affordable Ford Focus cars and the highly affordable chain driven lightning sprints could race together.

In 2012 Tracy Hull started what is today the IMRA and has done a fantastic job in the Midwest with his group, then popped up a group in Indiana and in the Northeast. Little satellite groups in Ohio and even the Illini midget group that has been promoting and running affordable midget racing for over 25 years was interested in what we were doing. This was the making of D-2. Just like NCAA and other established entities across the national there are many 2nd divisions as a feeder to the D-1 or less affordable schools per say so that is were I arrived with the name D-2.

In 2016 with we needed an entity that could bring all these groups together so I approached USAC and POWRi. USAC seem not so interested but Kenny Brown was. He and I along with Tracy and others got together in St. Louis at KBM (PowrI) for a meeting in Oct. 2015. We hammered out what was to be a set of "NATIONAL" Division 2 rules. Well in a course of a year, groups began to sway away from what was agreed upon but kept the core of the engine. Each group needed to do what was in their best for their said group.

Now in 2018 we have become split groups again do to engines. PowrI has decided to take it's engine package by way of Badger rules. I have NOTHING but a ton of respect for Kenny and understand reasons for him to do what he did, but Badger engines are not what Division II (D-2) is about at all. Yes they are way more affordable than the 30-40 thousand dollar national engines but are still not affordable for D-2.

So what is left out there as far as TRUE D-2 is Illinois Midget Racing Association (IMRA), Midwest Thunder Midgets (MTM) both USAC and myself Lucas Oil Southern States Midget Series (SSMS). We are still true D-2 series that will continue to make it as affordable as we can so the average working man can race these cars.

I hope this clears up a few things as we go forward. Just remember this RACING as a whole is kinda struggling and without you the racer coming to the track to race and telling everyone you know to get the asses in the stands to watch purses will stay low and car counts will continue to dwindle. So please support your local or not so local race tracks...thanks for reading
I gota say; quite the dossier on the behind the scenes of the forms of midget racing, we could call: "OEM based" - how dare we call ALL forms of "non-national midget engine racing" (well, except for those couple shows that DO allow OEM based engines and "national" engines to run together...I'm confused...) as "D2"; we will quickly be corrected...(lol)

But anyway, am I correct in my thoughts that the LAST "OEM" powerplant that WON in USAC "National" midget racing was the Pontiac in the early 90s? It was before my time, really, but I gather that was the last of what has kind of come full circle; as in, still using many "production" parts. I could be very wrong...might it have actly been the Potter car Tony drove in 94? I actly forgot what that really was...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
3/14/18, 9:28 AM   #15
Backitin

There is only one type of affordable racing for the average working man and that's motorcycle racing. Go to your local mx track and odds are there will be over 300 entries on any given sunday.
As long as setup and money are the overwhelmingly most important part of the racing the racing will always be expensive, there is no such thing as a poor mans class. Guys spend more money cheating then building their program to begin with.
Racing a bike is the only way to go if you aint got bunchs of extra money, the rider is way more important to the ride then the bike, just the opposite of a race car. You can buy a used mx or speedwaybike and inless your a very good expert rider you cant come close to using all the performance of a stock bike much less a built one.
D-2 midgets exist mostly in the imagination.

3/14/18, 12:17 PM   #16
cbhhms17439

Race Count This Year: 40
Race Count Last Year: 40

Wayne Davis your idea is the best thing to racing that I have seen in years for the average working man who loves open wheel racing many have tired to keep the cost down but it still gets out of hand I raced lightning sprints for years I would love to go in your direction but in Ohio most everyone likes the wings it seems around I would love to see your idea take off in Ohio you can buy a junk yard engine and freshen it up for a fraction of the cost to buy a motorcycle engine then every time you get a newer model or switch models you have to fork out more money on fuel injection again witch wont fit on your older models keep up the good work and the guy comparing mx to midgets there is no comparison he needs to go back to his mx chat lines lol just my 2 cents for what is worth have a great day everyone

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
3/14/18, 4:31 PM   #17
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backitin View Post
There is only one type of affordable racing for the average working man and that's motorcycle racing. Go to your local mx track and odds are there will be over 300 entries on any given sunday.
As long as setup and money are the overwhelmingly most important part of the racing the racing will always be expensive, there is no such thing as a poor mans class. Guys spend more money cheating then building their program to begin with.
Racing a bike is the only way to go if you aint got bunchs of extra money, the rider is way more important to the ride then the bike, just the opposite of a race car. You can buy a used mx or speedwaybike and inless your a very good expert rider you cant come close to using all the performance of a stock bike much less a built one.
D-2 midgets exist mostly in the imagination.
Uh, no; D-2 midgets are, slowly but surely, gaining a foothold here in the Midwest; we have a distinct advantage over Wayne's situation in that open wheel racing, including Midget racing, has a firm tradition here as well as a ready inventory of used rolling chassis to build from. I may be biased but I predict this will be a watershed year for USAC MTM and IMRA competition, and I wish Mr. Davis nothing but the best in his continued efforts to grow the division and the sport in the South.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

2 members like this post: DAD, Wayne Davis
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > D2 Midgets