IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > terre haute action at 510pm
5/22/13, 7:38 PM   #11
Re: terre haute action at 510pm
mortboyz

She used to start out muddier than that for the day shows in the late 70's....

5/22/13, 7:46 PM   #12
Newport13

Race Count This Year: 2

Mmmmm.......tacky!

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: THracer19
5/22/13, 7:50 PM   #13
kcarm92

Maybe they figured with the chance of rain most of you would stay home and complain updates wernt fast enough. Its thier azz on the line paying the purse so im sure oconners and sargent had their reasons.

Posted via Mobile Device

5/22/13, 8:01 PM   #14
BrentTFunk

Spoke to one of the promoters earlier. They said they had just watered before the rain hit. They figured if they got it in it would have been a late night. On a weeknight I think that was probably a good idea. Think about it, how many people were on this board today negativly effecting the crowd? Remember a couple of years ago we thought this track was going away? Why not show some support? I got off work and drove almost an hour before I found out it was canceled. I have bigger problems in my life to deal with. Hey it rained, if you really want make a stand grow a set and blame God for the weather.

5/22/13, 8:10 PM   #15
mr nobody
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Spoke to one of the promoters earlier. They said they had just watered before the rain hit. They figured if they got it in it would have been a late night. On a weeknight I think that was probably a good idea. Think about it, how many people were on this board today negativly effecting the crowd? Remember a couple of years ago we thought this track was going away? Why not show some support? I got off work and drove almost an hour before I found out it was canceled. I have bigger problems in my life to deal with. Hey it rained, if you really want make a stand grow a set and blame God for the weather.
Don't you mean blame Mother Nature?

5/22/13, 8:29 PM   #16
racephoto1

Well, I was there at 3:45, and water was standing on the track 15 feet out from the inside rail. Look at Lloyd's photos closely and you'll see it in one and two. Look closely at the photo of the frontstretch and you'll see some standing there also.

They got about .75 to 1 inch of rain just before I got there. I wasn't behind a keyboard, I was at the track. There were 5 or 6 teams there then, with a couple more arriving before I left.

I've been around this game a long time, I guess near long enough to be considered and old timer. I knew when I saw it there was no way. I realize that not everyone agrees with this call, but I do. Fortunately they did it soon enough to prevent MOST people from making the trip.

I know after last Saturday's move, that a lot of people would assume the same thing this time. Well if you do , you're wrong. This time it was just too much moisture.

As for prep, look at the photos posted earlier, the track was great. I talked to Reese O'Conner and know how much prep was involved to get the track ready, starting last week.
Sometimes though, things are just beyond your control, and this was one of those times.

Now if the rain will just stay away from The Indiana State Fairgrounds tomorrow.

5/22/13, 8:32 PM   #17
ChadSmith

They are quick to look at the forecast to cancel a race, but forget to look at the forecast before throwing more water on the track. I'm not bashing here. I don't work for USAC or THAT. I don't work on the track, nor have I ever. Maybe check the radar before you go dumping more water on, and don't ignore those black clouds. Regardless, I will continue to go to USAC events, so I can't say too much.

Chad Smith

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: GregD, TWagner73
5/22/13, 8:41 PM   #18
racephoto1

I looked at the radar before I left Indy at 1, there was no rain, so I went. Just because I didn't see it, doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

It's springtime in the Midwest, pop up storms aren't that unusual. It's just unfortunate that it popped up in the wrong place.

2 members like this post: fish, terrehautian
5/22/13, 9:07 PM   #19
mr nobody
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
I looked at the radar before I left Indy at 1, there was no rain, so I went. Just because I didn't see it, doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

It's springtime in the Midwest, pop up storms aren't that unusual. It's just unfortunate that it popped up in the wrong place.
Not to mention that soon after the race was cancelled the radar showed a broken line of showers and some embedded storms approaching Terre Haute that would have put more rain on the track and only made things worse.

5/22/13, 9:26 PM   #20
DaveP63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr nobody View Post
Looks like there is some sharecropping going on in the second pic. Has anyone done any track prep there? I don't believe I have ever seen vegetation growing on any track that wasn't permanently closed.
Not for years. I couldn't tell you the last time it was actually cut. Not scraped, cut.

1 member likes this post: Indy1808
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > terre haute action at 510pm