IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > POWRi Division II Midgets
12/5/15, 1:42 PM   #21
Re: POWRi Division II Midgets
DAD

https://www.autozonepro.com/results/...42&partIds=237

Alldata Pro list the stock OEM piston and pin at $93.50 x 4.

Honest Dad himself

12/5/15, 7:20 PM   #22
SAC74

DAD, I was thinking about cylinder wear right after I used your formula for calculating cubic inches and found out that .5mm or .020 oversize was right on the maximum displacement limit. Boy, there sure isn't any room for error! If I have the machine shop hone this block for new .5mm oversize pistons, and it doesn't clean up, I'm out the cost of the engine plus the cost of having it honed. If I have it honed and it does clean up, I'll be OK as long as it doesn't wear any, all season long. But if the cylinders do wear at all, the rules say I would be DQ'd and suspended for a year and fined $1000!!! Plus, I would probably be the laughing stock of the pit area. I thought about taking this engine back to the bone yard and trading it for a different one, but when I called them, the guy said he can't take it back because it was sold as a rebuildable core and not a guaranteed running engine, plus I had already taken it apart. I suppose I could cut my losses, scrap this engine and look for one with low miles, but how do I know what condition that engine is in? I mean, for racing purposes? I really don’t know what to do. Do you suppose the guys who run up front will be running bone yard engines, or will they be rebuilt?

1 member likes this post: Kellen Conover
12/5/15, 7:29 PM   #23
polecar

with the d2 rules, can the block be sleeved?

1 member likes this post: DAD
12/5/15, 8:09 PM   #24
Crankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAC74 View Post
DAD, I was thinking about cylinder wear right after I used your formula for calculating cubic inches and found out that .5mm or .020 oversize was right on the maximum displacement limit. Boy, there sure isn't any room for error! If I have the machine shop hone this block for new .5mm oversize pistons, and it doesn't clean up, I'm out the cost of the engine plus the cost of having it honed. If I have it honed and it does clean up, I'll be OK as long as it doesn't wear any, all season long. But if the cylinders do wear at all, the rules say I would be DQ'd and suspended for a year and fined $1000!!! Plus, I would probably be the laughing stock of the pit area. I thought about taking this engine back to the bone yard and trading it for a different one, but when I called them, the guy said he can't take it back because it was sold as a rebuildable core and not a guaranteed running engine, plus I had already taken it apart. I suppose I could cut my losses, scrap this engine and look for one with low miles, but how do I know what condition that engine is in? I mean, for racing purposes? I really don’t know what to do. Do you suppose the guys who run up front will be running bone yard engines, or will they be rebuilt?
Most are from the yard, unless someone wanted to buy a re-furb from a company. The engine, for the most part, was used up through 2012 in various GM vehicles. (remember "experts", I said, for the most part).

Short blocks, or long blocks are readily available just in case yours is bad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-06-2006-2...xVTlVQ&vxp=mtr

Best of luck!!

2 members like this post: DAD, SAC74
12/5/15, 8:15 PM   #25
DAD

Pole

Yes you could sleeve them, but you are beating a dead horse just go out and buy another low mile used motor, that is the intent of the series.

If USAC or Powri were to raise the displacement of the 4 valve motor to 2500 or 3000 cc's and mandate they use stock blocks and stock heads with altered porting allowed to include welding, you would probably see the demise of the $30,000.00 motors in a very short time.

Honest Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > POWRi Division II Midgets