IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Madrid Ferocious in Figure 8 Fury
8/3/09, 1:19 AM   #1
Madrid Ferocious in Figure 8 Fury
Kevin Montgomery

Madrid Ferocious in Figure 8 Fury
Jones and Gauthier Hustle to Hornet Victory

Tucson, Arizona (August 2nd, 2009) – Rene Madrid used a late race pass to conquer the Figure 8 debut at USA Raceway Saturday night. While Anthony Madrid led the charge for most of the race, the two Figure 8 aces battled fearlessly for 20 laps with Rene coming out on top.

The cousin duo of Anthony and Rene Madrid, Figure 8 veterans, showed the rookies how it was done during heat race action. Rene took top honors in the first heat race while Anthony used a last lap pass to beat “Chargin” Charles Davis Jr. in the second heat.

Davis fell prey to a Figure 8 rookie mistake that allowed Madrid to pass him on the last lap.

“He put it in reverse and backed up! I forgot I could do that” commented Davis “I’m not used to being able to go in reverse.”

Davis finished the feature in the 4th spot just behind 3rd place figure 8 veteran Jesse Johnson. Jim Childress Jr. finished off the top five with RC Whitwell taking the 6th spot.

“The racing tonight was crazy” commented RC Whitwell “that figure 8 race was awesome and I’m glad I was part of it”

Duane Jones topped the RWD Hornet Hustle as he won the $500 payday in spectacular fashion. Jones drove his familiar black number 60 Hornet to the front just after the mid way pit stop and never looked back as dominated the remainder of the race.

Factory Stock points leader, Dusty Gauthier, came out on top after a hard fought battle with Karl Griggs in the FWD Hustle. The two drivers battled lap after lap for the lead as they raced side by side for a good portion of the 50 laps.

Gauthier jumped into the Hornet division and never skipped a beat showing why he is dominating the Factory Stock division.

“That race was unbelievable” said Griggs “I just didn’t have enough to beat the 22x car, he was good all night.”

James Chavez Jr. took victory honors for the second time in Arizona Late Model action.

The real champion of the night was Gilbert Villa Verde as he captured the heart of Karen McCullough as the couple tied the knot Saturday in true racer fashion. Not wanting to miss USA Raceway’s Figure 8 Fury, the couple moved their wedding to center stage of the Figure 8 track for the ceremony. Family and friends gathered in the center X of the track and exchanged vows.

USA Raceway hosts The Barnett Harley Davidson UMP West Modifieds on August 15th. The UMP West Modifieds will be joined by Super Stocks, Factory Stocks and Hornets. General admission tickets will go on sale at 5pm for only $10, racing will begin promptly at 7pm.

Suite Access Passes which allow race fans the opportunity to enjoy the races from USA Raceway’s VIP Suite are also on sale for only $20.

USA Raceway, Arizona’s premier short track, is located east of Tucson off I-10 exit 268, then 1.6 miles south on Craycroft Road, which turns into Los Reales. For more information please, contact the track at 520-574-8515 or additional information regarding USA Raceway can be found at www.usaraceway.net

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Madrid Ferocious in Figure 8 Fury